Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

UK election - what happens now?

UK election - what happens now?

Old Jun 11th 2017, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK election - what happens now?

Originally Posted by mfesharne
She led a piss poor campaign but she didn't lose the election.
Sorry but if putting the 'Orange Order' in charge of England's affairs is 'winning'
I want no part of it.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Even without the 'orange order' she still won albeit not by much (318 against 262) ....... and she only has herself to blame for that.

My guess is she'll resign & we'll have yet another GE but this time their manifesto will be vastly different.

She couldn't have stuffed it up more if she'd tried & if she does resign, whichever clown takes over is going to have his/her work cut out for them big time if they hope to recover.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 11:32 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

She led a piss poor campaign but she didn't lose the election.
On what planet? She may have the greatest number of MPs, but less than before and no majority - and it would be worse if the SNP hadn't pushed the opportunist, self-destruct button. She's now in bed with the DUP, a situation even John major avoided and that may well come back to bite.

Without doubt May lost, but nobody else won either.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
On what planet? She may have the greatest number of MPs, but less than before and no majority - and it would be worse if the SNP hadn't pushed the opportunist, self-destruct button. She's now in bed with the DUP, a situation even John major avoided and that may well come back to bite.

Without doubt May lost, but nobody else won either.
The result was 318 against 262 therefore it cannot be denied that technically she or rather the Conservatives won but nor can it be denied it's now a hung Parliament where the other parties can gang up & defeat whatever she proposes.

The only thing she lost was a reasonably healthy majority.

My guess is she'll resign & we'll see another GE before the end of the year but my preference would be that she'll stay & form a cross party Brexit negotiating team for the good of the country.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 12:41 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

The result was 318 against 262 therefore it cannot be denied that technically she or rather the Conservatives won but nor can it be denied it's now a hung Parliament where the other parties can gang up & defeat whatever she proposes.

My guess is she'll resign & we'll see another GE before the end of the year but my preference would be that she'll stay & form a cross party Brexit negotiating team for the good of the country.
How can you have cross-party cooperation when you've spent the last months running down everyone else? Certainly not under Ms "Strong and Stable", but other contenders are seen as poison too. May is a busted flush, being kept in play by Brexiteers who fear that they might not get their way if any time is lost. Were it not for Brexit, she would be toast.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by macliam
How can you have cross-party cooperation when you've spent the last months running down everyone else? Certainly not under Ms "Strong and Stable", but other contenders are seen as poison too. May is a busted flush, being kept in play by Brexiteers who fear that they might not get their way if any time is lost. Were it not for Brexit, she would be toast.
I don't disagree with any of that....... the whole thing has been an absolute bloody fiasco from the time DC went to try to negotiate better terms whilst remaining a member of the EU but what's done is done & we must all respect the democratic processes that have taken place since that time........ and we must all make the most of the situation as it is not as we would like it to be........ and to me, the bet way to do that is for all parties to forget what's happened in the past & come together for the sake of the future of the country.

Whether they'll have the simple common sense to do that or not is a different matter.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 12:59 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

....nor can it be denied it's now a hung Parliament where the other parties can gang up & defeat whatever she proposes.
Or - to put it in a slightly different way - decide that what she's proposing on any particular occasion isn't their idea of what's best and, independently of whatever anybody else is doing, decide to vote against it.

She did indeed

Actually, I wouldn't say it's the only thing but let's not split hairs over what are comparative trivialities in the light of this thumping defeat. The interesting thing is that when a resounding victory was being predicted (a landslide, I think some termed it, before it didn't happen ), none of the adoring devotees saw fit to mention the possibility that it mightn't have been altogether the wisest idea to put that majority at risk.

Glad she did, though.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 1:02 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

....... and we must all make the most of the situation as it is not as we would like it to be........ and to me, the bet way to do that is for all parties to forget what's happened in the past & come together for the sake of the future of the country.
I do hope you're not suggesting forgetting the result of the referendum.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Or - to put it in a slightly different way - decide that what she's proposing on any particular occasion isn't their idea of what's best and, independently of whatever anybody else is doing, decide to vote against it.

She did indeed

Actually, I wouldn't say it's the only thing but let's not split hairs over what are comparative trivialities in the light of this thumping defeat. The interesting thing is that when a resounding victory was being predicted (a landslide, I think some termed it, before it didn't happen ), none of the adoring devotees saw fit to mention the possibility that it mightn't have been altogether the wisest idea to put that majority at risk.

Glad she did, though.
It was actually still a win rather than a "thumping defeat" but perhaps one could call it a win on points rather than a KO but I could see her getting an unpleasant surprise when she announced the GE & even more so when I saw that stupid manifesto that targeted so many of her core voters but what is done is done and as with all democratic decisions we must accept it for what it is........... My ideal would have been to see her win but with a strongish opposition because without that, you almost have a one party state & that's never good for any of us.

As 've said before, we live in interesting times.

Last edited by mfesharne; Jun 11th 2017 at 1:36 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I do hope you're not suggesting forgetting the result of the referendum.
Not at all.

As I've previously said we must all accept the democratic decisions that have been made & that very definitely includes the referendum decision to leave the EU but as I see it, one of the most important things about this last GE is it'll weaken the UK's bargaining position & the only way to remedy that (as I see it) is to have a cross party negotiating team all with the sole purpose of securing the best deal possible for the country.

The only other alternative is a quick, clean break and reverting to a WTO deal & I think this election result (possibly/probably) moves the UK one step closer to that happening if they can't form a strong cross party negotiating team.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 6:43 pm
Polished expat

And I think we've just moved a good solid step away from the no deal scenario.

I've no qualms about a cross party agreement - as long as it doesn't include the Conservatives. But we need the next act of this drama to unfold before that is possible

My ideal would have been to see her win but with a strongish opposition because without that, you almost have a one party state & that's never good for any of us.
The opposition is so strong that she's really scraping the bottom of the barrel in order to find anybody at all willing to work with her - just to get an occasional majority. Even some of the Tories are aghast.

Any stronger and they'd be called "the government". The one party state went out when Labour started choosing Labour politicians to lead.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

And I think we've just moved a good solid step away from the no deal scenario.

I've no qualms about a cross party agreement - as long as it doesn't include the Conservatives. But we need the next act of this drama to unfold before that is possible

The opposition is so strong that she's really scraping the bottom of the barrel in order to find anybody at all willing to work with her - just to get an occasional majority. Even some of the Tories are aghast.

Any stronger and they'd be called "the government". The one party state went out when Labour started choosing Labour politicians to lead.
I should think a large part of the world are!

It couldn't have turned into a bigger stuff if it'd been done deliberately!
Old Jun 12th 2017, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

The 'creeps' return....Michael Gove returns from the abyss to become Environment secretary.. Boris according to Osbourne runs a permanent bid for the leadership..so one presumes he will be chained in the yard...

Donald Trump has put his visit to the UK on hold. stating that he didn't want to come if there are going to be protests....read... If 'his' Theresa isn't there ..he ain't coming.

The EU has told Theresa that if she insists on discussing a 'future' trade relationship,at the same time as the UK's divorce bill.Then they will take a year to set up a new set of negotiation guidelines . This in response to the shambolic state of the Briish side. Insisting on talking about free trade,before the issues of the 'divorce bill,citizens rights,and the Irish border were all resolved...

She is showing a total inability to understand the negotiating process.

Last edited by GeniB; Jun 12th 2017 at 10:12 am.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 3:28 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this parliamentary vote is a mandate to cancel brexit, however May herself made this election all about giving her strong hand to negotiate with the EU for the hard brexit, and it's clear the public has stripped her mandate and majority.

Therefore, it would be perfectly reasonable for parliament to force the government to pursue a soft brexit, or give the UK a second referendum to approve or reject any deal (and decide whether to remain in the EU).

The previous referendum result does not preclude having a subsequent referendum which would of course overrule it, anymore than this general election last week does not rule out having another one in 6 months time, if parliament so decides.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 7:02 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: UK election - what happens now?

Originally Posted by GeniB
The 'creeps' return....Michael Gove returns from the abyss to become Environment secretary.. Boris according to Osbourne runs a permanent bid for the leadership..so one presumes he will be chained in the yard...

Donald Trump has put his visit to the UK on hold. stating that he didn't want to come if there are going to be protests....read... If 'his' Theresa isn't there ..he ain't coming.

The EU has told Theresa that if she insists on discussing a 'future' trade relationship,at the same time as the UK's divorce bill.Then they will take a year to set up a new set of negotiation guidelines . This in response to the shambolic state of the Briish side. Insisting on talking about free trade,before the issues of the 'divorce bill,citizens rights,and the Irish border were all resolved...

She is showing a total inability to understand the negotiating process.
Truly, it's turning the UK into a Banana Republic.
Sad....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.