Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Things to bring when moving over

Things to bring when moving over

Old Apr 22nd 2017, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to bring when moving over

Originally Posted by EMR
What side of the road is the traffic when you stop ?
You lost me??
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 8:43 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllanB
You lost me??
Then you know little about Portugal and a sense of humour.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 5:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Light bulbs here are screw top.. So if you still have bayonet fittings bring plenty of suitable bulbs with you.
I have a lot of tiffany style lamps around the house which are all bayonet so dutifully brought a good supply of light bulbs with me ten years ago. Funnily enough I still have them all, not had to change any of them yet which is strange.

Rosemary
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I have a lot of tiffany style lamps around the house which are all bayonet so dutifully brought a good supply of light bulbs with me ten years ago. Funnily enough I still have them all, not had to change any of them yet which is strange.

Rosemary
Just goes to prove what we all knew: the British government force the power companies to send surges to blow bulbs to boost consumer spending
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>

Personally having lived in and moved from many countries if i didnt either love it or think i couldnt live without it i would save the cost and risk and just move myself

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 24th 2017 at 11:14 pm. Reason: I am a little over this brexit tit for tat thing from everyone
Old Apr 24th 2017, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of you have been living here too long, if there were surges in the mains voltage we would here about it. Why would the UK government bother blowing your light-bulbs, what would they gain by doing that?

I assume Mr Carvoeiro < snip > it is happening, the end of this £$trillion EU/Brussels/Luxembourg/Strasbourg/Berlin den of corruption.

That said, I probably wouldn't be able to afford a house here if it wasn't for the EU screwing up the economy here.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 24th 2017 at 11:14 pm. Reason: I am a little over this brexit tit for tat thing from everyone
Old Apr 24th 2017, 9:48 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Mr C has lived in Portugal for some time so has far more knowledge than a recent arrival.
The Portugues believe it or not are very pro the EU so his comment regarding get brexiters is not that far from the truth.
I have yet to meet an expat who voted to leave , although there may be some.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
Mr C has lived in Portugal for some time so has far more knowledge than a recent arrival.
The Portugues believe it or not are very pro the EU so his comment regarding get brexiters is not that far from the truth.
I have yet to meet an expat who voted to leave , although there may be some.
I understand why you "expats" want to remain, however, I have lived in Thailand for 7+ years so I am also an expat, so you have now met your first "Freedom fighter". All my British friends are proBrexit too so that is another dozen or so...so you need to get out more.

You should read a little more than the biased western press if you want a realist view of the world.

I would like to see Portugal, a proud nation, get back on it's feet, along with Greece and Italy, but it ain't going to happen under the EU cosh. If you are selfish enough to worry about you own wallet for a few months that is your business, me, I have kids and want the best for them.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

If you are selfish enough to worry about you own wallet for a few months that is your business, me, I have kids and want the best for them.
It's wrong to assume that all expats that voted Remain did so for selfish reasons.
Like the nearly half of people that voted for Remain in the referendum they believe that the UK is better off being part of the EU.

But there is no point banging on about it.
People have different views of it and debating it on here won't change anyones opinion.

Only time will tell if the UK does well out on it's own. Personally I think it's bad for Britain.
I predict that in ten years or so, once we are past the time when the Leave camp can keep on saying we just need time for things to be sorted and start to blame the goverment for mismanaging it, a lot of the old over patriotic Leave voters will be dead and the young ones will be left with the mess.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 11:01 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

The title of this thread is "Things to bring when moving over" so has nothing at all to do Brexit so please get back on topic.

Rosemary
Old Apr 24th 2017, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
It's wrong to assume that all expats that voted Remain did so for selfish reasons.
Like the nearly half of people that voted for Remain in the referendum they believe that the UK is better off being part of the EU.

But there is no point banging on about it.
People have different views of it and debating it on here won't change anyones opinion.

Only time will tell if the UK does well out on it's own. Personally I think it's bad for Britain.
I predict that in ten years or so, once we are past the time when the Leave camp can keep on saying we just need time for things to be sorted and start to blame the goverment for mismanaging it, a lot of the old over patriotic Leave voters will be dead and the young ones will be left with the mess.
There are NO good reasons in being ruled by the EU, if that is what you want to call it.

We will not be on our "own", we will be with the rest of the world..again.

Patriotism has nothing to do with not wanting this, I just don't want to be paying for a gravy train.

..and back on topic.

The reason for this topic is for my own selfish reasons, getting cheaper and better stuff in the UK.

What Portugal has to offer, is the stuff money can't buy.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of you have been living here too long, if there were surges in the mains voltage we would hear about it. Why would the UK government bother blowing your light-bulbs, what would they gain by doing that?
It was just a light hearted comment after Rosemary found that she still has loads of Baynet bulbs years after moving away from the UK. Hand on my heart I know the UK government doesn't send surges to blow the bulbs, however I once heard that.......

Knoxy
Old Apr 24th 2017, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
It was just a light hearted comment after Rosemary found that she still has loads of Baynet bulbs years after moving away from the UK. Hand on my heart I know the UK government doesn't send surges to blow the bulbs, however I once heard that.......

Knoxy
I don't know Rosemary, different sense of humour, I will look out for it. Living for 7+ years I have heard many odd conspiracy theories, but that was a first. No offence intended.

Not that I believe anything I hear from the western press, so the light-bulb story may be true. Is there a UK PM called Osram???
Old Apr 24th 2017, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of you have been living here too long, if there were surges in the mains voltage we would here about it. Why would the UK government bother blowing your light-bulbs, what would they gain by doing that?

I assume Mr Carvoeiro < snip > it is happening, the end of this £$trillion EU/Brussels/Luxembourg/Strasbourg/Berlin den of corruption.

That said, I probably wouldn't be able to afford a house here if it wasn't for the EU screwing up the economy here.
well in context of the topic - what to bring from the UK my comment -
< snip > id pack anything you like
was clearly just a light hearted joke
where this lunatics reply comes from i hate to think - but sadly this pointless pathetic anger and agression seems to define Brexit

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 24th 2017 at 11:13 pm. Reason: I am a little over this brexit tit for tat thing from everyone.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

When i moved over to Portugal i came with my Transit and twin axle trailer. I am still selling of stuff at markets i don't use or need and still have in Liverpool stuff to bring over that i do need.

Bring all your electrical stuff with it's one year guarantee and when it goes wrong what do you do?

Buy in Portugal and get a TWO year guarantee and if something goes wrong you don't have far to take it back.

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.