Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Things to bring when moving over

Things to bring when moving over

Old Apr 9th 2017, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Karmal123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things to bring when moving over

So we are moving over in July and I was looking for some advice on what to bring over when we first arrive. So things that are more cheaper over here in the UK
Items that I might need in the future such as bikes,wet suits, white goods, furniture, electrical items etc.
Also any recommendations for a removals firm to from Bucks to Cascais.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 8:11 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to bring when moving over

Originally Posted by Karmal123
So we are moving over in July and I was looking for some advice on what to bring over when we first arrive. So things that are more cheaper over here in the UK
Items that I might need in the future such as bikes,wet suits, white goods, furniture, electrical items etc.
Also any recommendations for a removals firm to from Bucks to Cascais.
If you have room, bring a decent long ladder for outside painting etc.

Other than that unless you are wedded to a particular brand of any product there is little that is not available in Portugal.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

We had to buy complete kitchen white goods a couple of years ago and first went to the main high street dealers such as Worton's & made a list of exact model numbers of the items we needed (fridge/freezer, electric hob, electric oven, dishwasher, washing machine & double sink) & then went to https://www.kuantokusta.pt where we found exactly the same items for €1400 less than the lowest high street price plus we got free delivery & cash on delivery.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Second hand stuff is relatively expensive here; I just sold a 7 year old petrol lawn mower and it went for 1/2 new price within 18 hours.

If you want new things, buying local means a 2 year warranty and available service. That has value that might equal the price difference.
But if you're the type to buy second hand, bring what you can carry. Especially tools and machinery.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

The only real essential is a couple of these ...

Buy Masterplug 4 Socket 1 Metre Extension Lead at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Extension leads and cable reels, Electrical accessories, DIY tools and power tools, Home and garden.

Cut off the UK plug at the end of the cable, fit a Portuguese one and use it for all your UK chargers/power supplies and gadgets - the ones where you can't change the plug

Apart from that most things are the same price as anywhere else and it will cost you more to transport them than you would save by buying new here with a two year guarantee
Old Apr 9th 2017, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Karmal123 is an unknown quantity at this point

His so what about second hand bikes, a new electric bike, mobile phones and laptops that dirt of thing. Thanks for the replies appreciate it
Old Apr 9th 2017, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

The only safe(ish) place to ride a bike is Vilamoura which to my knowledge is the only location where they have dedicated cycle routes. If you are seriously thinking of riding a bike on the EN125 or any other major road then life insurance would be vital, likewise deep county 'mountain biking' without satellite phone or VHF links to the air ambulance could see you with broken limbs lying un-found for days.

Mobile phones are always handy if unblocked to their original provider - the system in Portugal is one of the best in Europe
Old Apr 9th 2017, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBife
The only safe(ish) place to ride a bike is Vilamoura which to my knowledge is the only location where they have dedicated cycle routes. If you are seriously thinking of riding a bike on the EN125 or any other major road then life insurance would be vital, likewise deep county 'mountain biking' without satellite phone or VHF links to the air ambulance could see you with broken limbs lying un-found for days.

Mobile phones are always handy if unblocked to their original provider - the system in Portugal is one of the best in Europe
Not true of my part of Portugal........... In this area, cycling & cycle clubs are very popular & it's not unusual to see quite large groups of cyclists on the road.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Baked beans. They seem to be incredibly hard to locate.
Olbas oil
Window Putty, having to wait til I drive over to bring more (as can't carry it he plane)
The stuff in PT is horrible to work with.

The extension lead was a great idea. - MrBife
Old Apr 10th 2017, 9:26 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
Baked beans. They seem to be incredibly hard to locate.
Olbas oil
Window Putty, having to wait til I drive over to bring more (as can't carry it he plane)
The stuff in PT is horrible to work with.

The extension lead was a great idea. - MrBife
Iceland in Guia always had Heinz beans at about €5 four four cans, but I haven't been there since Xmas ...... Otherwise our local Pingo Doce have them, but at an eye-watering €1.85 a can!

Bring adaptors for all your UK plugs..... Poundland has them - and another good reason for the extension lead is to use UK WiFi repeaters or Powerline adaptors - because the european versions are far more expensive. Bring LED bulbs if you can get a bargain ..... they're still expensive here, but changing 3 five-branch light fittings to use 6W LEDs rather than 40W incandescent bulbs is saving me a lot!
Old Apr 10th 2017, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

On the subject of LED bulbs...... I now buy mine from ebay.co.uk from a supplier in China & they're 4 times the brightness at less than half the price of the local Chinese shops.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 11:40 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
On the subject of LED bulbs...... I now buy mine from ebay.co.uk from a supplier in China & they're 4 times the brightness at less than half the price of the local Chinese shops.
Unfortunately, it's still early days for LEDs and the big brands are continually adding "features" rather than dropping prices (Do you really need a dimmable bulb? - are you prepared to pay double the cost for that feature?). This means there's a big market for cheap alternatives, often from China.

The problem with cheap LED bulbs is that the elecronics to drive the LEDs often fails, limiting the life of the bulb. This is generally due the excessive heat output from the circuitry. Earlier on, there were significant safety concerns too, but these have mainly been overcome.

I've replaced all my bulbs in the UK and here taking advantage of offers on "brandname" bulbs on offer at Homebase and B&Q and supplementing them with bulbs from Screwfix (because they have a good reputation for replacing failed lamps).
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:32 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Unfortunately, it's still early days for LEDs and the big brands are continually adding "features" rather than dropping prices (Do you really need a dimmable bulb? - are you prepared to pay double the cost for that feature?). This means there's a big market for cheap alternatives, often from China.

The problem with cheap LED bulbs is that the elecronics to drive the LEDs often fails, limiting the life of the bulb. This is generally due the excessive heat output from the circuitry. Earlier on, there were significant safety concerns too, but these have mainly been overcome.

I've replaced all my bulbs in the UK and here taking advantage of offers on "brandname" bulbs on offer at Homebase and B&Q and supplementing them with bulbs from Screwfix (because they have a good reputation for replacing failed lamps).
Don't, t buy Chinese cheap bulbs, we have had two literally explode
Stick to brands from reputable outlets.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by macliam

I resisted having LEDs for years but the heat from the (12v) halogen bulbs in our lounge was burning the fittings out so very reluctantly went to LEDs........ I bought from a variety of sources from my local Chinese shops to Brico to Leroy and all were a bit of a disappointment.......... then I found the ones I mentioned previously on ebay & they're so much better (and cheaper) it's not true......... So assuming they continue to last I'll stick with 'em but if I get any more problems, I'll just change the entire system for a 240 volt one & go back to halogens.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Jackie67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.we just moved over in December.most things over here seem to be on offer at some point.the one thing we regret is we had lots of very large garden pots that we just gave away back in the UK,to family and friends.big mistake.over here they are being sold for over 100 euros each!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.