Techy Question

Old Feb 19th 2018, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future
Default Techy Question

I've recently been connected to NOS fibre and pretty happy with it so far. One thing bugs me though and before I go on a fruitless hunt far and wide for a solution maybe someone can tell me: is there such a thing as a modem that can connect wirelessly to the digibox?

The previous house owner had got now-useless cabling installed out of sight but the NOS guys had to run a cable from the connection in the wall halfway round the room to the TV. The real annoyance is that it goes round the chimney breast under the enclosed log burner and is both an eyesore and is likely to get burning embers landing on it at some point. I'm wondering if it's possible to get rid of the cable that links the modem to the digibox altogether? I really have no idea.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Techy Question

You could use Powerline (or HomePlug) adapters at either end which route the network signals through the mains electricity cables instead of through a standard ethernet network cable. They are available in wired or wireless flavours.

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00...VPFBWXBL&psc=1 might be suitable.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Might be possible to replace existing cable with CAT6 so you can hard wire the router.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

Thanks both, I'm still clueless but have managed to find someone local to come out and sort it for me. Fingers crossed.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 7:33 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cherrypop
Thanks both, I'm still clueless ...
That'll learn you for asking technical questions on a forum
Old Feb 20th 2018, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Mitzi2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a wireless solution. I have one at home in Switzerland and it was purchased from the Swisscom service provider. If you go on the Swisscom website you will find it. I will check to see, when I return home from Portugal, who the end manufacturer of the product is and maybe you can purchase it from them.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Google AirTies. This company makes a product that I believe will meet your needs. I have it installed and it works well.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. I've just had the NOS guy here and there is no solution. The only way of connecting the router to the TV box is via the cable that's already in place. He is quite adamant about that.

The difficulty is that the previous owners have apparently installed an enclosed log
burner over the TV point that I need to use. They had an ethernet cable coming out of the wall built round the fire (it seems the TV point they were using is right behind the fire and wouldn't be safe to use even if I could get access to it)!

My only option is to get someone to pass the cable through the chimney breast and under the fire housing to get it out of the way of stray embers from the log burner. It would have to be in a fireproof conduit but it looks like that's the only solution.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

I think I misunderstood your requirements. It sounds like you are referring to a coaxial cable (like satellite/aerial/cable TV) not ethernet as I first thought. I think you're stuck with a wired connection, though there might be other routes the cable could take (like going round the back of the fireplace outside?).
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I have a MEO box similar to the one under discussion; it's connected to the modem via a cat5 wire, but the protocols used are different to internet connections. Those gadgets made for laptops are unlikely to work.

Mine is wired using one of the cat5 wires I installed during the house renovation.

Another possible solution is to have a small hole drilled through the wall, and run the wire along the outside of the house.
Wires can also be hidden behind skirting boards, or you can add some sort of cosmetic covering to the wire that was installed.

Those guys are always in a big hurry, and don't have time to route wires to my satisfaction. They want to drill holes in window frames, slap wires to the walls, string them anywhere.

I tell them give me the wires or the specs, I'll do the routing.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

I still think your NOS advice is incorrect. I have my router on one side of the house and the STB on the other side. I did not want to run a cable connection the two. I have the AirTies Air 4820 wireless bridge to handle it. One small box connected to the router and the other to the STB. Works very well.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mitzi2012 - have been looking at the AirTies products with interest (thanks to your posts ) - not in the specific context of the OP but for better wireless performance for my own TV / music streaming setup.

Do you have any information regarding comparative performance with similar products?

I see the company is based in Istanbul - didn't know that Turkey was a hot spot (sic) for advanced wireless technology!

Anyone else know anything about them?
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GRC
Hi Mitzi2012 - have been looking at the AirTies products with interest (thanks to your posts ) - not in the specific context of the OP but for better wireless performance for my own TV / music streaming setup.

Do you have any information regarding comparative performance with similar products?

I see the company is based in Istanbul - didn't know that Turkey was a hot spot (sic) for advanced wireless technology!

Sorry no further information. All I can say is I have used their product for the last 12 months and it works faultlessly.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GRC

I was looking at something similar Graeme. I wanted to create a seamless mesh to cover the house and patio areas. Annoying waiting for devices to log off one AP and log onto another. I have routers around the house connected by powerline adapters.
I was looking at Ubiquiti but couldn't justify expense over gains. Maybe on the next house build!
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mike
... Annoying waiting for devices to log off one AP and log onto another. I have routers around the house connected by powerline adapters. ...
We use multiple routers with powerline adapters and don't notice logon/logoff problems. Our routers all have the same SSID & passwords. Do yours?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.