Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Teaching a sport/activity privately in Portugal? Possible?

Teaching a sport/activity privately in Portugal? Possible?

Old Sep 7th 2013, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

James3D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching a sport/activity privately in Portugal? Possible?

Hello,
I am a nordic walking instructor and was trained with INWA (The International Nordic Walking Federation). I would like to move to Portugal and it would be good to give private lessons in Nordic Walking.

However, someone mentioned that you need a sports degree to teach any kind of physical activity in Portugal. My degree is not in sports.

Also, does anyone have any other information about this in general?
I am aware of all the taxes etc that you need to pay, and as this is a physcical acivity I would need insurance. However, I am sure people do things on the black market and get people to sign disclaimers/waivers. Its not something I would do and would prefer to find another country that is easier.

Anyone?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Teaching a sport/activity privately in Portugal? Possible?

Anyone?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Troia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really nice

I don't think you need a sports degree to be an instructor of Nordic Walking.

I have a few friends that teach Aerobics Dance without a degree.

More on the lines if you want to be a teacher in a academic school then a degree is necessary, that much I know.

may be you can email

http://cnapef.wordpress.com/
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

OK thanks for the information, I know people who do yoga teaching in Portugal without a sports degree. I guess its ok, Id better try to find out more to make sure, thanks!
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Melissajrg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by James3D
Hello,
I am a nordic walking instructor and was trained with INWA (The International Nordic Walking Federation). I would like to move to Portugal and it would be good to give private lessons in Nordic Walking.

However, someone mentioned that you need a sports degree to teach any kind of physical activity in Portugal. My degree is not in sports.

Also, does anyone have any other information about this in general?
I am aware of all the taxes etc that you need to pay, and as this is a physcical acivity I would need insurance. However, I am sure people do things on the black market and get people to sign disclaimers/waivers. Its not something I would do and would prefer to find another country that is easier.

Anyone?
Hi James, I'm a personal trainer and have been trying to find out the same kind of info. If you want to work officially as a fitness professional then you need to have a cédula which is like a lisence. The institute of sport regulates this, I suppose it's to make sure everyone is qualified and legitimate. On the website they say you can qualify for the cédula depending on your qualifications, I'm sure yours would be recognized, but when I called to confirm they said they can't give the cédula yet because they're revising the law, again!! Saying that, you only need it if you want to work officially like in a gym or set up an activity as self employed. Although you're supposed to claim earnings, I know a few people who give classes and because they only make a small amount per year they don't claim it. If you wanted to go the official route, here's the info on the Institute of Sport site: http://www.idesporto.pt/conteudo.aspx?id=124&idMenu=9 If you scroll down to Pedidos de emissão do Título Profissional de Técnico/a de Exercício Físico (TPTEF) it mentions recognition of foreign qualifications for a cost of €100. Although if you're only planning on giving some casual classes you might not want to do that. Good luck whatever you decide!

Last edited by Melissajrg; Sep 18th 2013 at 9:50 pm. Reason: Didn't complete text before sending
Old Sep 18th 2013, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Melissa,
Thanks for the information. I know of some yoga teachers, not sure what they classify themselves as or even if they declare themselves! I have done a fitness related thing in Portugal and I signed a disclaimer before doing it.
Perhaps that is how they get around it?

Also, do you know or anyone else know if Portugal does official first aid courses?
I will do one in the UK before but perhaps if not recognised by Portugal it is best to do one over there.

In case anyone is interested here is the UK INWA website-
http://www.britishnordicwalking.org.uk/
Nordic walking is a great activity for all levels of fitness. I have been doing it for about 6 years now. It is nice to do in the UK but nothing beats a nice warm day walking in Spain or Portugal.

Thanks!
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Melissajrg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by James3D
Hi Melissa,
Thanks for the information. I know of some yoga teachers, not sure what they classify themselves as or even if they declare themselves! I have done a fitness related thing in Portugal and I signed a disclaimer before doing it.
Perhaps that is how they get around it?

Also, do you know or anyone else know if Portugal does official first aid courses?
I will do one in the UK before but perhaps if not recognised by Portugal it is best to do one over there.

In case anyone is interested here is the UK INWA website-
http://www.britishnordicwalking.org.uk/
Nordic walking is a great activity for all levels of fitness. I have been doing it for about 6 years now. It is nice to do in the UK but nothing beats a nice warm day walking in Spain or Portugal.

Thanks!
I think all kinds of fitness instructors are supposed to have the license, yoga, pilates, aerobics, etc. it seems a bit strange to me that having a European qualification doesn't automatically allow you to work in any European country, aren't we all supposed to adhere to the same European standard?! Im not sure if signing a disclaimer would protect you from operating without a license but whoever signs it would be agreeing to the situation so they probably wouldn't want to report you if anything went wrong (which would be very rare!). I also know people who have hired rooms in the local leisure centers and were advised by the staff that because it was small scale she shouldn't bother registering herself. Plenty of people do it. Sounds like a good activity to do here, there's plenty of good weather and nice scenery, I hope you do well with it
Old Sep 19th 2013, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thanks,
That sounds more promising.
I look forward to getting to Portugal in a few weeks, autumn in the UK nice but I miss the sunny weather!