Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Stupidity killed 2 people

Stupidity killed 2 people

Old Sep 14th 2017, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupidity killed 2 people

I heard nothing more about this. I was reminded yesterday about the FAA regs

This aircraft is prohibited from operating in congested airways or over densely populated areas unless directed by Air Traffic Control, or unless sufficient altitude is maintained to effect a safe emergency landing in the event of a power unit failure, without hazard to persons or property on the surface.”
Old Sep 15th 2017, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I heard nothing more about this. I was reminded yesterday about the FAA regs

This aircraft is prohibited from operating in congested airways or over densely populated areas unless directed by Air Traffic Control, or unless sufficient altitude is maintained to effect a safe emergency landing in the event of a power unit failure, without hazard to persons or property on the surface.”
Surely the key phrase there is "unless directed by ATC"?

I'd imagine they were following a standard instruction & flight path & surely if that were not the case the media would have been all over it like a rash.....

I really don't see any point in speculating & as I see it the only time sensible conclusions can be arrived at is after the ATIs have published their report.

They'd have to move the airstrip a considerable distance to ensure the statement of " unless sufficient altitude is maintained to effect a safe emergency landing in the event of a power unit failure, without hazard to persons or property on the surface" were observed.

Last edited by mfesharne; Sep 15th 2017 at 5:59 am.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Info gleaned from a utterly reliable source.

Carlos Conde de Almeida has been investigated for "homicide" & was presented to the Tribunal de Almada , was then released & awaits charges from the Public Prosecutor
Old Dec 4th 2017, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
Info gleaned from a utterly reliable source.

Carlos Conde de Almeida has been investigated for "homicide" & was presented to the Tribunal de Almada , was then released & awaits charges from the Public Prosecutor
Who is presumably & very wisely waiting for the Air Accident Investigators to publish their full report?

No surprises there then.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Who is presumably & very wisely waiting for the Air Accident Investigators to publish their full report?

No surprises there then.
One thinks you presume to much
Old Dec 4th 2017, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

One thinks you presume to much
Hey, I'm open to other possibilities & look forward to hearing other possible explanations...
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

In todays PT Press.
The Air Accident Investigators Report has been finally been published.
The engine failed because off fuel starvation , the float in the carburettor "stuck in the closed position"
The report states that further test will be carried out on the engine etc - etc

Nearly all off the eye witnesses to this "accident" when questioned by the Legal Authorities have stated exactly the same thought it was also reported in the press !
"why did he not land in the sea" & others added " he had lots off time too do so, but instead headed straight for the crowded beach"

The Journalist opinion :- It is a very strong possibility that Carlos Conde de Almedia will be charged with 2 counts - Homicide by Negligence -
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd be interested to see the report (especially) to know how high he was & how fast he was going when the engine failed but as I believe I said before, once that happens the rules of physics & flight (same thing really) take over & he probably wouldn't have had many (if any) options.

An unfortunate failure that could be caused by several things including but not necessarily bad maintenance and/or bad fuel but even space shuttles suffer mechanical failure resulting in disaster.

As for the journalist's opinion....... That won't be worth squat will it?

Last edited by mfesharne; Apr 23rd 2018 at 10:15 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

I am excessively uneasy about pre-judgement, here. The range of potential culpability ranges from none to complete. This was an emergency at relatively low height. Perhaps the pilot saw a clear area of beach, but could not make it. Perhaps he panicked, leading to an error of judgement. Perhaps he did aim for the sea, but where he was headed there was a mass of swimmers. Perhaps those swimmers were young children, and he had to decide in a flash who to try and save? Or perhaps he decided that it would be fun to kill some people.

Sorting this out is what the law is for.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 6:59 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

In todays PT Press.
The Air Accident Investigators Report has been finally been published.
The engine failed because off fuel starvation , the float in the carburettor "stuck in the closed position"
The report states that further test will be carried out on the engine etc - etc
Is it usual for Air Accident Investigators to publish a report before their investigation, including testing, is complete?
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

And believe it or not, just now after the Air Accident Report which was published in April 2018,
I read in the Correio da Manha late last week ,that the "investigation" still continues ????
Being a complete & utter cynic , one can only assume that those involved are hoping "Public Interest" into the deaths off these 2 unfortunate
people will wain away & Carlos Count of Almeida can put his brown brogues & wander off into the sunset .
Untouched & unsullied !
I wonder how the l2 year old girl & the man's family feel about this BS !

Last edited by Ingles; Nov 2nd 2018 at 12:26 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Ingles I know this has really upset you and you are looking to blame someone. These two deaths are very very sad.At the end of the day though this was an accident No one intended to kill anyone. I doubt very much that Carlos Count of Almeida sloped off into the sunset without a care in the world. I am sure this has scarred him for life.Nothing the court can do can bring back these two victims or change anything he did to try and save himself or the other pilot.

I have reason to feel huge anger at the result of an accident that almost killed my YD,Certainly physically and mentally scarred her for life. I was personally involved there. but have had to let it go. However much I wanted to punish the Truck driver who mowed her down.I now feel that he probable has spent 20 yrs having nightmares about it.
Let it go
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

I find GeniB’s post measured, sensitive and touching.

Let me re-state my position, here. We all know that air accident investigations can take years to complete. It is, I think, a waste of emotion and energy to assume degrees of culpability in advance of formal findings, so I believe it wise to suspend judgement.

if there is reason to suspect deception or deliberate delay by the investigators then, of course, it is a different matter, but in this instance I see no reason for such suspicions, as nobody stands to benefit. Although having lived in Portugal for well under a year, it seems to me that the flip side of the wonderful, welcoming and non-judgemental Portuguese culture and personality is a somewhat unrushed approach to all things official.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Well the Air Accident Investigation has at last been published !
I whish I could change the heading off this thread to "Arrogance & Stupidity Killed 2 People "
http://algarvedailynews.com/news/157...caparica-beach

Any body still got "doubt's" please check out in the EN Report
3.1 Conclusions :- And read forward !

Last edited by Ingles; Dec 14th 2018 at 9:42 am.
Old Dec 17th 2018, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Hey, I'm open to other possibilities & look forward to hearing other possible explanations...
Well I posted the complete Air Accident Investigators report on the 14th Dec !
It's in PT & EN :- Any Comments at all from you would be more than welcome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.