Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Storm damage and Insurance

Storm damage and Insurance

Old Sep 29th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of
Default Storm damage and Insurance

I wondered about people reporting their experience with any claims they've had to make because of the storms in the last few days.
My friend has been told that her pool machinery is not covered. It was flooded yesterday, shorting her electricity in the house and completely ruining the electric part of the pool controls. The Lloyd and Whyte policy does say under "Storm, flood or weight of snow"

a) for loss or damage caused by subsidence, heave or landslip, (this is under buildings cover!)

b) for loss or damage to domestic fixed fuel-oiltanks in the open, tennis courts, drives, swimming pools, irrigation systems, patios terraces, walls, gates and fences.

It's a bit frightening, no cover for subsidence, heave or landslip, isn't it?

I would also like to hear of people who are having a good experience with their insurers so we could vote with our feet at the next renewal.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Storm damage and Insurance

I'll reply to myself and say that I have had fantastic service from the same firm with my car insurance, fully comp. and not terribly expensive.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anna58
I'll reply to myself and say that I have had fantastic service from the same firm with my car insurance, fully comp. and not terribly expensive.
Without sounding "too cheeky" perhaps you have had a great service with your car insurance because you have never tried to make a claim till now?

Hmm...is that a little sarcastic of me?!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, I have had to make too many claims for my liking, two cars written off, for example.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

No, I have had to make too many claims for my liking, two cars written off, for example.
Your insurance company must just love you Anna!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

I wondered about people reporting their experience with any claims they've had to make because of the storms in the last few days.
My friend has been told that her pool machinery is not covered. It was flooded yesterday, shorting her electricity in the house and completely ruining the electric part of the pool controls. The Lloyd and Whyte policy does say under "Storm, flood or weight of snow"

a) for loss or damage caused by subsidence, heave or landslip, (this is under buildings cover!)

b) for loss or damage to domestic fixed fuel-oiltanks in the open, tennis courts, drives, swimming pools, irrigation systems, patios terraces, walls, gates and fences.

It's a bit frightening, no cover for subsidence, heave or landslip, isn't it?

I would also like to hear of people who are having a good experience with their insurers so we could vote with our feet at the next renewal.
Anne,

Most policies carry exclusions within their policies and damage to swimming pools/equipment is not unusual within the storm and flood cover. I cannot comment any further about your friends claim but am more than happy to talk to her.

Your policy does include cover for subsidence, turn to page 8 of your policy wording. Likewise, I am more than happy to talk to you if you have any concerns regarding cover.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, I'm quite shocked, but I guess that's my fault for not reading the schedule carefully enough. At least it's in English and I can read it! I may well come back to you with some questions. Can you add bits to the policy to give better cover?