Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Portugal

Old Sep 25th 2017, 10:45 pm   #121
Forum Regular

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

In this case I believe the issue is at the American end because, although the NHR program is available to US citizens, the American IRS will continue to tax them if overseas resident - hence no actual benefits. Those with sufficient capital can still take advantage of the other elements of the Golden Visa program. There is more about this here: the-washington-posts-financial-guide-to-retire-abroad/.

I think this is linked with the US FATCA rules (Forign Account Tax Compliance Act) with its onerous restrictions. Worth Googling this if you are non-American and are feeling less than kind about your own tax system - see how bad it can really be.
Diddion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:49 am   #122
Rather sunburnt

Location: Arcos de Valdevez, Portugal. UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve.
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Is Madonna retiring?
Old Oct 8th 2017, 2:12 pm   #123
Just Joined

Sri Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

I am engaged to marry a Portuguese woman, make frequent visits to her home in the Porto area (but never longer than 3 months at a time or more than 183 days in any year), and plan to move full-time to Portugal at some point in the future at which time I expect to apply for NHR status (assuming it still exists). I believe I understand well the difference between residency and tax residency but I have a question that I am finding it very hard to answer because there seems to be lots of contradictory information about. Some sources state that to be eligible for NHR status, one must not have been a tax resident of Portugal in any of the prior five years. Other sources say that one must not have been a resident of Portugal in any of the prior five years. Can someone please tell me definitively which applies? Thank you.
Sri Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th 2017, 2:30 pm   #124
BE Enthusiast

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Pete View Post
I am engaged to marry a Portuguese woman, make frequent visits to her home in the Porto area (but never longer than 3 months at a time or more than 183 days in any year), and plan to move full-time to Portugal at some point in the future at which time I expect to apply for NHR status (assuming it still exists). I believe I understand well the difference between residency and tax residency but I have a question that I am finding it very hard to answer because there seems to be lots of contradictory information about. Some sources state that to be eligible for NHR status, one must not have been a tax resident of Portugal in any of the prior five years. Other sources say that one must not have been a resident of Portugal in any of the prior five years. Can someone please tell me definitively which applies? Thank you.
This is the guide from the Portuguese Tax authorities you can check definitions here but my understanding is not been resident . Quote from the guide :
"Has not been deemed resident on Portuguese territory during the five years prior
to the year pretended to be taxed as a non-regular resident.
"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IRS_RNH_EN Finanzas Guide.pdf (1.40 MB, 6 views)
Loafing Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th 2017, 4:38 pm   #125
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafing Along View Post
This is the guide from the Portuguese Tax authorities you can check definitions here but my understanding is not been resident . Quote from the guide :
"Has not been deemed resident on Portuguese territory during the five years prior
to the year pretended to be taxed as a non-regular resident.
"
The ‘pretended’ bit flummoxed me. But all is now clear. The Portuguese verb Pretender is a bit of a false friend in English. Although it can mean pretend in English in certain circumstances, in this case it doesn’t. The real meaning is more ‘intended, sought, wanted or requested’. Now it makes sense.

Last edited by Jonny22; Oct 8th 2017 at 4:47 pm.
Jonny22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th 2017, 6:18 pm   #126
BE Enthusiast

RichardHenshall is on a distinguished road

I suspect that many applicants for the NHR scheme wish that it really did mean that they could pretend to be taxed.
RichardHenshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Portugal