Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Originally Posted by Diddion
Our decision to live in Portugal was largely due to the wonderful people, reasonable cost of living, and weather, enhanced by the challenge of learning a new culture and language, and we did not actually discover about the tax system until after having made that decision (it was part of our 'due diligence' process). I think the only sensible thing to do is to work out one's figures on the basis of NHR not existing at all, with anything else becoming a bonus.

I think the whole NHR situation is over-hyped . Back to the newspaper article it refered to increased applications at a rate of 10 a day. Assuming a normal working week that is only about 2,500 a year . Earlier there were fewer applications so probably over the life of the legislation maybe 20,000 people with NHR status - in an EU population of 300 million that is hardly a figure that will shatter the economy of countries such as Holland, Sweden , France and UK. Probably not achieved benefits the Portuguese government imaged when they introduced it back in 2009 so now just better to "move on" and have good relations with the rest of the EU.

Do you think Madonna will apply ??
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I think you mean "capital" rather than "capitol" and the accusation is another of your flights of fancy.

Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Did they?

Was that a formal complaint to the Commission?
Oh Pleeeezeee Eric... Get over yerself...

My SIL is Finnish. It was reported in her local paper after one of the directors of a 'huge Finnish company' (and no I don't know which) said on TV that she was moving to Portugal with her family to avoid paying tax in Finland. Caused a huge political row....and complaints to both Portugal and Brussels.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Loafing Along

Do you think Madonna will apply ??
I bet she will At least her accountants will insist on it. But for her it will be surely the Golden Visa?. she is American and therefore not eligible for NHR..

Michael Fassbender on the other hand would be able to apply
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:15 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Oh Pleeeezeee Eric... Get over yerself...

My SIL is Finnish. It was reported in her local paper after one of the directors of a 'huge Finnish company' (and no I don't know which) said on TV that she was moving to Portugal with her family to avoid paying tax in Finland. Caused a huge political row....and complaints to both Portugal and Brussels.
Yes, I'm aware of most of that (although paradoxically I think that in that particular case the controversy was over avoidance of inheritance tax, which is a separate issue).

What I'm not aware of, though, is complaints specifically to Brussels or to the EU. Normally such a thing would be registered and would lead to an investigation and a response but, to the best of my knowledge, there has been nothing of that nature reported.

In fact, all the sources I've come across seem to agree that Portugal isn't breaking any EU regulations, which would make any formal complaint procedure pointless.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:18 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

she is American and therefore not eligible for NHR..
Old Sep 25th 2017, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Is joining Afpop still wise to do???
Old Sep 25th 2017, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilou
If yoy want the super deal on Allianz medical insurance yes .
Old Sep 25th 2017, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pilou
Yes if you live in the Algarve as you discounts for many services and medical insurance. The medical insurance discount alone covers the AFPOP membership fees.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Is that also the case if not in the Algarve?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by toots sweet
yes although the administration and the Afpop activities take place in the Algarve
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by toots sweet
As I live in the north I get no discounts and only benefit from the Allianz Medical. I need to keep my AFPOP membership as Allianz is the only medical insurance that allows one to stay a member after reaching the age of 70.

This medical insurance is tailored for AFPOP members only.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

she is American and therefore not eligible for NHR..
This confuses me too.

I don't think NHR was an EU thing. Thought it was a PT thing open to people from anywhere.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
This confuses me too.

I don't think NHR was an EU thing. Thought it was a PT thing open to people from anywhere.
It is
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:55 pm
Polished expat

Perhaps there's a definition of "not eligible" which we're overlooking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.