Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:33 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Originally Posted by GeniB
Just a word of caution..There's an email from the Online algarve news yesterday that warns of possible plans to scrap NHR next year.. Wise to check this out
Scrap?????

They're having a field day over this in expatland, aren't they?

As already discussed on here on 2 other threads, the proposal is to modify the regime by way of introducing a low rate (rather than the current zero rate) of tax on qualifying foreign income.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Scrap?????

They're having a field day over this in expatland, aren't they?

As already discussed on here on 2 other threads, the proposal is to modify the regime by way of introducing a low rate (rather than the current zero rate) of tax on qualifying foreign income.
Don't get your knickers in a twist Eric

Yes SCRAP ( The existing rules that is)

The finance minister Mario Centeno is discussing this using the excuse of not upsetting other member states (anymore) plus the unfairness of a situation (like mine in fact) where ex-pats can be living side by side with ones on the scheme ,and ones who missed it.The difference in tax paid is enormous. in many cases He feels it was always quite unfair to long term ex-pats.

The minister is to introduce a tax on all pension income ,deal or no deal.as soon as next year. 2018. Some member states Sweden,Finland and the Netherlands have complained bitterly about NHR for yrs.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:14 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get your knickers in a twist Eric

Yes SCRAP ( The existing rules that is)
I'm not but I detest gross inaccuracy. Scrap means get rid of, not amend - and that's not pedanticism.

The finance minister Mario Centeno is discussing this using the excuse of not upsetting other member states (anymore) plus the unfairness of a situation (like mine in fact) where ex-pats can be living side by side with ones on the scheme ,and ones who missed it.The difference in tax paid is enormous. in many cases He feels it was always quite unfair to long term ex-pats.
Does he?

Can you find a quote from him to substantiate that?

The minister is to introduce a tax on all pension income ,deal or no deal.as soon as next year. 2018.
Deal - with whom?
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilou
This is the answer: The deadline for registration may not be less than three months from the date of arrival. Art 8,2 of the EEA regulations.
So one can register as of day 1.
I guess it's definitely worth a try to do it before the 3 months.
But the SEF portal says that it should be after then.
I saw a comment once on Facebook from someone that had tried and been told to come back later, all they lost was an hour of their time, no big deal.
Has anyone on here successfully done this early?

Last edited by AliceCaroline; Sep 21st 2017 at 8:44 am.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
I guess it's definitely worth a try to do it before the 3 months.
But the SEF portal says that it should be after then.
I saw a comment once on Facebook from someone that had tried and been told to come back later, all they lost was an hour of their time, no big deal.
Has anyone on here successfully done this early?
Yes ! Registered after about a week, just depends on where you go to register. We did ours in Tavira at the Town Hall .
Old Sep 21st 2017, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Yes ! Registered after about a week, just depends on where you go to register. We did ours in Tavira at the Town Hall .
That's good to know.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

The NHR is so slyly worded by estate agents to attract buyers who are then blasted with a huge tax bill.
Had I known that I will pay 28% on my type of tax even with NHR, I would have stayed in South Africa and pay 13% tax. Now I sit with a ~€11k tax bill.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

In fact not all types of income are tax free under RNH.
Real estate agents sell houses but not tax advises.
To be sure about the tax situation, ask professional help!
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for this.It's extremely helpful ,but also getting me more confused.
I am in slightly different situation. My husband is portuguese and we are both retired.
This winter we are spending 3 months in Portugal,with a view to buying property and returning to Portugal to live.
Do I need to get NHR or not(obviously my husband doesn't need this)? I have my fiscal number. Our marriage is registered In Portugal.
I am hoping to apply for dual citizenship,but would it be better just to apply for residency first?
We are staying near Alcobaca. Am I correct in thinking the nearest Loja do Cidadao is in Batalha or is there one any nearer?
Thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Do I need to get NHR or not(obviously my husband doesn't need this)? I have my fiscal number.
You don't need to get NHR. You may want to try and get it as it's a tax incentive but it's not something you need to do.

I think you'd need to get residency before Citizenship as I think you need to live in Portugal for three years first to get Citizenship through marriage.

"Naturalisation by marriage
If you are married to a Portuguese citizen you may obtain Portuguese citizenship after three years as long as you make your declaration while you remain married. If you divorce or the marriage is annulled at a later date your Portuguese citizenship will not be rescinded."

Become a Portuguese citizen AND keep your British passport

Last edited by AliceCaroline; Sep 22nd 2017 at 9:39 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

I know I don't need to get it, but will i still get tax exemption in my own right, if I'm married to a portuguese citizen.If so then it is a must do I think.

It's not that I need to live in Portugal for 3 yrs,it's you have to be married for 3 yrs(10 x times that time for us !)
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 2:41 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by toots sweet
I know I don't need to get it, but will i still get tax exemption in my own right, if I'm married to a portuguese citizen.If so then it is a must do I think.
You qualify (as would your PT spouse) if you haven't been taxed in Portugal as a tax resident in any of the previous 5 years and the income isn't PT sourced.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I'm not but I detest gross inaccuracy. Scrap means get rid of, not amend - and that's not pedanticism.

Does he?

Can you find a quote from him to substantiate that?

Deal - with whom?

You detest 'GROSS inaccuracy ? (heh! if your using capitols than so will I )

That would suggest that I am telling porkies wouldn't it.?

I actually DETEST the constant use of quotes on the forum,mainly because so many of them are merely the thoughts of some random,usually rabid journalist. Which all too often do not materialise into fact

However, when they are quoted from actual speeches in parliament they maybe stand a chance of having some merit.

The minister is 'purported ' to have said the above according to sources on the Algarve Daily News. ( I cannot give you a quote ) He is certainly being pushed by countries such as Finland,Sweden and the Netherlands (who refused to allow us to gain NHR btw )
The situation of having ex-pats living side by side, but paying different amounts of tax is indeed becoming an issue.
The minister is looking to increase tax's on ex-pat pensions, So the likely hood of this going through parliament is pretty strong,especially if he is forced to drop NHR.

The deal or no deal bit referred to those with NHR

It is merely at the speculation and talking stage..People making plans for a year+ ahead need to be aware of it though,don't you think?
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

The situation of having ex-pats living side by side, but paying different amounts of tax is indeed becoming an issue.

I never read this was an issue for the government.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 5:59 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by Pilou
I never read this was an issue for the government.
Nor me and I consume a fair bit of national news in various forms. Closest I can come to that is that some of the opposition parties don't like the scheme but not on account of anything to do specifically with expats who pay the normal tax - more that all other residents do so, amongst other things.

That would suggest that I am telling porkies wouldn't it.?
Let's just say that the combination of your imagination and some loose terminology aren't really helping to explain the matter as reported in more trustworthy sources than the Algarve Daily News

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.