Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

SarahMiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Has anybody had to do the first few steps whilst still in an air bnb/alojamento local? I don't know how long it will take me to find & purchase a house, so it's very likely that I'll still be in the alojamento local when I need to get the residency. Is a confirmation letter from the owner enough as proof of address, as obviously won't have bills with my name on.

Many thanks

Sarah

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 3rd 2017 at 12:24 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline

This link is to a site about NHR...

http://info.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt...IRS_RNH_EN.pdf
AliceCaroline's link above is the tutorial I used, for some reason snipped from my previous post. As I said, slightly out of date as it refers to paper applications as well as online, but I'm sure I read that only online applications are accepted since last Summer.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
Good morning everyone!

< snipped >

Re avoiding becoming tax PT tax resident in 2017, you should then avoid living at a main residence in Portugal on 31st December 2017. If your main residence is still elsewhere in the world on that date (and you could prove that if queried) you shouldn't have a problem, but maybe best left until 2018 if you can. Basically, to the best of my knowledge, one becomes tax resident in PT if more than 6 months of a PT tax year are spent in PT or one has a residence in PT that could be considered their main residence on 31st December of any tax year.
Slightly off the topic, I always have some confusion about these 2 requirement of tax resident,does that mean if you can be in your permanent residence on 31 Dec every year, you don't really have to physically stay in Portugal for more than 183 days to qualify as tax resident?
Old Mar 4th 2017, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qianh
Slightly off the topic, I always have some confusion about these 2 requirement of tax resident,does that mean if you can be in your permanent residence on 31 Dec every year, you don't really have to physically stay in Portugal for more than 183 days to qualify as tax resident?
Exactly if on the 31st December your "principle residence" is in Portugal is in a condition that what lead the fiscal authorities to believe it is your home you do not need to be there 183 for fiscal residency
http://info.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt...System_CEF.pdf

Page 50 of the pdf explains it all - it is in english
Old Mar 4th 2017, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qianh
... does that mean if you can be in your permanent residence on 31 Dec every year, you don't really have to physically stay in Portugal for more than 183 days to qualify as tax resident?
It's not like a census (ie where were you on 31st December?) - there is a little more to it, described here.

Remember that just because you can claim to have tax residence (or Portugal can claim you have tax residence) in Portugal under Portuguese rules, it doesn't mean that other countries can't also claim you as tax resident (or domiciled) in their countries too.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Hi guys, very interesting re tax residence status. Just to get back to my earlier question though : has anybody done the residency registration whilst still in an alojamento local/airBnB? What did you need in terms of paperwork?

Thanks

Sarah
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK, an AL holiday letting is supposed to be for no longer than approximately 30 days - after that it's supposed to be a 'normal' longer term letting, for which the rental contract is registered with the tax authorities etc (thus giving you 'proof' of address). Most immigrants will, I imagine, try to get accommodation that is slightly more long term in nature than a holiday rental even if their plans are uncertain so your situation may be unusual but shouldn't prevent a successful application/notification of residency. Could you use the address of an advogado/a which might also avoid problems with delivery of any mailed correspondence?
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to simplify the question & ask if anyone has obtained their first 5 year residencia whilst staying in a rental?

And the answer to that question is yes. In our case they just put the rental address on the document & after we'd bought our own house we just went back there & had them change the address & reissue a new document with the new address.

If I remember correctly, it took about 20 minutes.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both, that's reassuring
Old Mar 8th 2017, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
:
Do you know if we are liable for tax from the date we arrive intending to stay or the date we apply for residency?
We met with our accountant today. She advised that a new resident with NHR tax status will declare their income from 1 January to 31 December of the year in which they became resident, regardless of the exact date they became resident. However, if a new resident does not have NHR tax status, they will declare their income only from the date on which they became resident. This is the answer she received from Finanças/AT.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
She advised that a new resident with NHR tax status will declare their income from 1 January to 31 December of the year in which they became resident, regardless of the exact date they became resident.
Thank you for this Mac and Mabel.
I think we have now pretty much decided to move over in the January not the November, just so that we don't get involved in the 2017 tax year.
For the sake of a few weeks we might as well wait.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Mac and Mabel, I've just seen your post #12 and found it very helpful.
It looks like Portugal has a good combination of climate, cost of living, and friendliness for retirees and so I've recently been finding out about the country.
So the details you have given should prove very useful to others who are thinking of moving there.
I've just become aware of the NHR system, but the information I've seen seems to be a little uncertain (maybe because the situation has changed since it was introduced).
So to hear from somebody who has just gone through the process is reassuring.
Would it be possible for you to post some more information about the NHR process, with, for example, what information you needed for the online application.
Thanks again for such a useful post.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricko
Mac and Mabel, I've just seen your post #12 and found it very helpful.
It looks like Portugal has a good combination of climate, cost of living, and friendliness for retirees and so I've recently been finding out about the country.
So the details you have given should prove very useful to others who are thinking of moving there.
I've just become aware of the NHR system, but the information I've seen seems to be a little uncertain (maybe because the situation has changed since it was introduced).
So to hear from somebody who has just gone through the process is reassuring.
Would it be possible for you to post some more information about the NHR process, with, for example, what information you needed for the online application.
Thanks again for such a useful post.
The NHR process is well-documented on various threads so a summary :

1. You need a Portuguese fiscal number and an address

2.You register on the Portuguese Tax Authorities website :https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt/home.action

3. When registered they will send to your home address a confirmation with a password

4. You go to the section : https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt...action?pai=154

Headed up "Cidadaos , Entregar "

Scroll down to "pedido" - Inscriçao de residente nao habitual

When you click on it you will be asked for your Fiscal Number and your password
Follow it from there.
Old May 16th 2017, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I would still like to find a English speaking accountant whose charge is reasonable to discuss about the tax planning in the view of applying NHR, any recommendation would be much appreciated. If you are happy with yours please pm me. Ideally based in Lisbon area.

thanks!
Old May 18th 2017, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Loafing Along, thanks for the extra information, which will be useful if I decide to move to Portugal.
However, when I did a previous search, one web page said that during the application, you had to input your tax returns for the previous five years. If that type of information is necessary, then I thought that there might be a lot of other detailed information, not necessarily to hand, that would also be asked for.
That's why I asked about the specific information that needed to be input for the application.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.