Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

state primary schools?

state primary schools?

Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

kimchoppie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile state primary schools?

I have a 6 yr old who speaks no Portuguese and will go to a state school when we move there next year, a few questions for anyone has done this...

how soon do you have to register your child, are there generally vacancies?

do you like the eductional system?

did your child cope with the change well?

what area are you in?

how are the smaller town/village schools?

and if anyone knows of a website that lists states school please let me know as I keep getting the international ones only coming up...

thanks
Kim
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:28 am
Just Joined

nandiroby is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: state primary schools?

hi kim,
my name is irene and my husband nick.we bought a house to retire to in a small village in the district of marvao central east 20 mins from portelegre and 15 mins from the beautiful town of castelo de vide.the village we live in is called rasa-rrrrrasa!! you really have to roll the rrrrs here.

we bought the house 4 years ago with plans to do it up(not a house, a ruin)and retire early and run a bird watching/walking holidays business.but as you know life never goes to plan and we adopted 3 girls last september.our own children are older so second time round for us.

we decided to make a go of it with the girls out here in portugal.we moved in jan 07.things have been great but the language is very hard.the children all started local school and doing fine.the youngest is 6 and has picked up the lingo no problem-made friends and settled well.the 2 older children were put back a year to learn the lingo and help catch up-they came from a background where education was not important-so lots of work to do.
the maths and english here are way ahead of the english system.

i think if you have capital to get going and give you time to settle you will be fine.finding a good joiner/carpenter is like gold dust and we still have no doors fitted downstairs yet.the one we did find wanted 375 euros to fit 1 door-plus materials!my father is a carpenter and a great one(he has retired)and i know how long it takes to do the work-if you know what your doing.so if you fancy a holiday-free accommodation to see this beautiful area in exchange for some door hanging-its a deal.

when family come i can pop some pictures to you if you like-at 47 i dont take in the mods of tech.

if you would like any further help/info and i can get it i will.i know you will love portugal.we chose this area for different reasons but it is an up and coming one and the children are happy at present so we think we will stay.after all the sagas of builders i couldnt face moving-but thats another story!
look forward to your reply
good luck for the future and the offer was genuine but you dont have to hang doors they SHOULD be done soon-just do us a B.B.Q californian style

best wishes
irene Tavira would be my next choice-love it there.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:41 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: state primary schools?

Originally Posted by nandiroby
Tavira would be my next choice-love it there.
We love it there too, that's why we bought there
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

kimchoppie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: state primary schools?

Originally Posted by nandiroby
hi kim,
my name is irene and my husband nick.we bought a house to retire to in a small village in the district of marvao central east 20 mins from portelegre and 15 mins from the beautiful town of castelo de vide.the village we live in is called rasa-rrrrrasa!! you really have to roll the rrrrs here.

we bought the house 4 years ago with plans to do it up(not a house, a ruin)and retire early and run a bird watching/walking holidays business.but as you know life never goes to plan and we adopted 3 girls last september.our own children are older so second time round for us.

we decided to make a go of it with the girls out here in portugal.we moved in jan 07.things have been great but the language is very hard.the children all started local school and doing fine.the youngest is 6 and has picked up the lingo no problem-made friends and settled well.the 2 older children were put back a year to learn the lingo and help catch up-they came from a background where education was not important-so lots of work to do.
the maths and english here are way ahead of the english system.

i think if you have capital to get going and give you time to settle you will be fine.finding a good joiner/carpenter is like gold dust and we still have no doors fitted downstairs yet.the one we did find wanted 375 euros to fit 1 door-plus materials!my father is a carpenter and a great one(he has retired)and i know how long it takes to do the work-if you know what your doing.so if you fancy a holiday-free accommodation to see this beautiful area in exchange for some door hanging-its a deal.

when family come i can pop some pictures to you if you like-at 47 i dont take in the mods of tech.

if you would like any further help/info and i can get it i will.i know you will love portugal.we chose this area for different reasons but it is an up and coming one and the children are happy at present so we think we will stay.after all the sagas of builders i couldnt face moving-but thats another story!
look forward to your reply
good luck for the future and the offer was genuine but you dont have to hang doors they SHOULD be done soon-just do us a B.B.Q californian style

best wishes
irene Tavira would be my next choice-love it there.
Thanks Irene,

I really appreciate the reply, makes me feel a bit more confident.

Wow to adopt 3 kids is brilliant, sounds like they will have a wonderful life there, thats all we want for our girls, we love CA but its all about money and what you have/dont have its not how we were raised, so back to a more relaxed style of living would great....and the grannies would be delighted.

I would love to stay in touch and pick your brains abit, if thats ok..and Ill Bar B Q something when I get there, cheers for the offer, very kind!

Glad to hear capenters are hard to come by, I hope thats a god thing for us, its a case of starting again and getting your name out there which is generally the hard part, its going to take alot of organising seeing as we cant come visit before we move, too much hassle involved with that.

anyway cheers again
Kim