British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   State healthcare system. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/state-healthcare-system-907249/)

Ukkram Dec 28th 2017 4:00 pm

State healthcare system.

Went to my state family doctor today to test the system for the first time. I still have private medical but I wanted to see how efficient it works.

All I needed was some BP medication so I showed reception the box and she typed out a note for me that looked like a receipt for a €2,50 payment and said I must return next Friday for the script.

Now what happens if I was feeling ill? Would I still have to wait a week?

liveaboard Dec 28th 2017 4:35 pm

Re: State healthcare system.

Did she mean next Friday, or tomorrow Friday?
A common error by non-native speakers of English is that "next Friday" must be the next one to arrive, unaware that the phrase is [probably] a shortened form of "next week Friday".

I've caught it a few times.

ouriquejan Dec 28th 2017 6:45 pm

It will be there tomorrow.

The 2.50 you paid is for a prescription without seeing the doctor, as in a repeat prescription. Normally donw within 24 hours and if you doc is on holiday, then another doc will do it.

4.50 is seeing the doctor for a problem.

Although in saying that, I used to have to "see" the doc, to get my prescription. but now they know me here, no worries.

EMR Dec 28th 2017 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by liveaboard (Post 12406260)
Did she mean next Friday, or tomorrow Friday?
A common error by non-native speakers of English is that "next Friday" must be the next one to arrive, unaware that the phrase is [probably] a shortened form of "next week Friday".

I've caught it a few times.

Me to,

Tomorrow is THIS Friday, the 5th Jan is NEXT Friday.

better to check the date rather than the day.

Red Eric Dec 28th 2017 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ukkram (Post 12406243)
Now what happens if I was feeling ill? Would I still have to wait a week?

No, of course not.

Where do you think you are and what sort of government do you think we have :confused:

mfesharne Dec 29th 2017 5:23 am

FWIW, My Centro de Saude now has a system where I can email my Doctor for a repeat prescription which is emailed & SMSd to me (usually) within a day or two at no cost so it might be worth asking if they have the same service?

I am diabetic though so get free prescriptions (for diabetic meds) anyway.

Ukkram Dec 29th 2017 3:01 pm

I think you guys are correct about the "next Friday" and "next week Friday".

I doubt the email/sms method is used here because they never asked for my cell number or my email address. How would I be able to pay the €2,50?

Red Eric Dec 30th 2017 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Ukkram (Post 12406935)

I doubt the email/sms method is used here because they never asked for my cell number or my email address. How would I be able to pay the €2,50?

SMS is certainly used round here - you go to the health centre to request and pay but you don't have to return to collect the prescription itself.

MrBife Dec 30th 2017 3:45 pm

I learned the way the Portuguese cope with repeat prescriptions - they get the first one from the Doctor - take it to be filled out then ask the Pharmacist to give it back to them - saying they will be needing it again.

Not saying all Pharmacies will allow it, but I have tried this myself and it worked fine

ouriquejan Dec 30th 2017 4:14 pm

Most repeat prescriptions are valid for 6 months. Also, if you ask for a tres vias, then you'll get three prescriptions in one. All the pharmacist will do is write on the form how many you have left.

Unless it's different in different parts of Portugal, that's how it works here.

mfesharne Dec 30th 2017 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ukkram (Post 12406935)

In my case I don't pay because I'm diabetic but I believe that all SMS or email ones are free....... Could be wrong on that though.

liveaboard Dec 30th 2017 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by ouriquejan (Post 12407577)
Most repeat prescriptions are valid for 6 months. Also, if you ask for a tres vias, then you'll get three prescriptions in one. All the pharmacist will do is write on the form how many you have left.

Unless it's different in different parts of Portugal, that's how it works here.

My pharmacist tells me that she can repeat most prescriptions for her patients without any further paperwork, as a registered pharmacist; this excludes anything narcotic, which is on a stricter regime.

However, when she does that we don't benefit from the state subsidy on medicines. Sometimes that's significant, sometimes it's not.