Silves

Old Aug 6th 2017, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future
Default Silves

Hello again,

My quest to find a house in a good location for my needs continues and now that I have a buyer over in UK, it's getting a bit more serious. It's not easy doing this at a distance but circumstances dictate that I can't easily make it over there until at least October.

I've seen a property I really like but can't find the location on Google maps and wonder if anyone knows of it? It's looking unlikely to be a good place for me but thought I'd see what I can find out, if anything. It's about 5 km out of Silves toward Messines, a village called Pedreira. Looking at the photos of the property, there's a canal / river going past the front. I'm told by the agent that there are neighbours but there's only a cafe in the village and not much else.

If it seemed a real possibility, I'd make a very short visit to view but that would be pretty expensive right now and it really would be an in and out trip.

Anyone know the place?
Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice
Default Re: Silves

Been through the area fairly regularly and for me the biggest appeal would be the proximity to Santa Clara and the sailing opportunities. Funcho is right on the doorstep but is limited in size by comparison. Nice and near to Tunes for quick access to Lisbon by train. Very close to Messines which has some good facilities. Map point here ...

https://www.google.pt/maps/place/Ped....3191327?hl=en
Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that there is a business called Hugo's Quad Bikes (Hugo's Quad Bike Adventure » Algarve Quad Bike Tours ) quite near Pedreiras. He seems to have found plenty of water if you look at his gallery. You could try emailing him?
Old Aug 6th 2017, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

I disagree with McBife. Pedreiras is nearer Messines and the dam whereas Pedreira is nearer Silves, just a stone's throw from the N124. It is a hamlet with a tiny irrigation canal running through it. There is only a café/bar. It is not a convenient place if you do not have transport. My knowledge is based on my address being Messines and I pass by this hamlet frequently and have been through it many times.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st
I disagree with McBife. Pedreiras is nearer Messines and the dam whereas Pedreira is nearer Silves, just a stone's throw from the N124. It is a hamlet with a tiny irrigation canal running through it. There is only a café/bar. It is not a convenient place if you do not have transport. My knowledge is based on my address being Messines and I pass by this hamlet frequently and have been through it many times.
Thanks for clearing that up, I was sitting here scratching my head wondering how the agent got the location so wrong She told me it was just outside of Silves and yes, the photo of the property clearly shows a canal or something outside the front of the property.

I'll have transport as will buy a car once I get there so that's not really an issue. My concern is that as I'm relocating alone (plus dog), I didn't want to live somewhere so out of the way that I wouldn't stand a chance of meeting people and developing a social circle. That said, I most definitely don't want to be hemmed in amidst a resort or a big condominium so it's quite a fine line between finding somewhere with a bit of space to breathe and being cut off.

Sunseeker, what's your thought about accesibility to amenities etc. from Pedreira? Is the hamlet really small and isolated or is it so close to Silves it barely matters?
Old Aug 6th 2017, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

Cherrypop, if you have transport, you are only five minutes from Silves which has a Lidl and Continente plus lots of restaurants/bars, plus banks and pharmacies etc. There is a river there, the Arade, and a nice big praça where you can walk your dog. The problem I see with Pedreira is lack of amenities and English speaking folk but there are many expats in the general area and you can meet many in Silves.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st
Cherrypop, if you have transport, you are only five minutes from Silves which has a Lidl and Continente plus lots of restaurants/bars, plus banks and pharmacies etc. There is a river there, the Arade, and a nice big praça where you can walk your dog. The problem I see with Pedreira is lack of amenities and English speaking folk but there are many expats in the general area and you can meet many in Silves.
Thanks. On reflection, it may be just a bit too cut off. Although Silves is close, it would be nice to not have to drive every time I want to go anywhere other than the garden.

This is an ongoing search lol