Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Shipping container for moving to pt

Shipping container for moving to pt

Old Feb 12th 2018, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping container for moving to pt

Has anyone here tried this route for shipping all their goods rather than using man and van type removal? Just wondering on costing and logistical issue of doing this with a 20' container , then I could bring ALL of my junk
(serial horder of things that may come in handy)
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping container for moving to pt

This may be off use

https://www.movecorp.co.uk/shipping-...rs-to-portugal
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Taggart001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting, wonder what the prices are like, expect it to take a few weeks to get there, assuming by sea?
I am looking to move my household items over this year too, calculated around £2500 for doing it myself with a hired 8 ton truck doing one trip.
Expect removal company will be at least £3500 for the same trip.
Thought of buying a very cheap large van, driving over on the ferry, then scrapping it after use....probably the cheapest option.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taggart001
Very interesting, wonder what the prices are like, expect it to take a few weeks to get there, assuming by sea?
I am looking to move my household items over this year too, calculated around £2500 for doing it myself with a hired 8 ton truck doing one trip.
Expect removal company will be at least £3500 for the same trip.
Thought of buying a very cheap large van, driving over on the ferry, then scrapping it after use....probably the cheapest option.
I could be very sarcastic about this comment , but all I will add is.
Open the site ,supply the info they require & you will get your answers !

+ All my shipments are now done "groupage" by using curtain sider lorries. i.e. various loading from various suppliers , leaves on Friday's arrives buyers UK side starting on Tuesday's
Old Feb 12th 2018, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

ingles is that using movecorp then?

do you find them economical compared to other transport options?

cheers
Old Feb 12th 2018, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
Has anyone here tried this route for shipping all their goods rather than using man and van type removal? Just wondering on costing and logistical issue of doing this with a 20' container , then I could bring ALL of my junk
(serial horder of things that may come in handy)
Hi

It may also help if you put the area you are in in case someone in that area has done it before and may offer better help.

Peter
Old Feb 12th 2018, 3:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taggart001
Very interesting, wonder what the prices are like, expect it to take a few weeks to get there, assuming by sea? ....
Probably not. The time, effort and expense of hauling a freight container to the port, putting it on a ship, then off-loading it back onto another lorry after a very short voyage, and hauling it to it's destination is likely as expensive, or more so, than just loading a removal van and taking it from point A to point B, even allowing for the empty journey home.

In short, you tell a haulage contractor to send a container to Spain and he is likely IMO to put it on a lorry and take it direct. ..... Or he may use a broker to find a contractor who has an empty container lorry going to Spain.

As to what to expect if you decide to use a freight container, typically you will be given two hours to load it, or pay fairly hefty /hr charges, and the same to unload it. Personally I think that loading and unloading without access to a loading dock would be challenging unless you had everything palletized and had use of a forklift and a pallet truck.

In short, you might save a few quid by loading your own container, but at the expense of a lot of hard work. .... And I used to have a job loading and unloading ar-tic trailers, using pallet trucks and a loading dock. I have also moved my own home contents twice (28m^3, approx 1×20ft container, the first time, and about 65m^3, approximately 1×40ft container, the second time) and my in-laws once, and would think twice before doing so again!

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 12th 2018 at 4:08 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi

It may also help if you put the area you are in in case someone in that area has done it before and may offer better help.

Peter
hi Peter

agreed it would be helpful , but I still haven't yet arranged accommodation for my first 6 months never mind arranged a house to buy yet
Old Feb 12th 2018, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Probably not. The time, effort and expense of hauling a freight container to the port, putting it on a ship, then off-loading it back onto another lorry after a very short voyage, and hauling it to it's destination is likely as expensive, or more so, than just loading a removal van and taking it from point A to point B, even allowing for the empty journey home.

In short, you tell a haulage contractor to send a container to Spain and he is likely IMO to put it on a lorry and take it direct. ..... Or he may use a broker to find a contractor who has an empty container lorry going to Spain.

As to what to expect if you decide to use a freight container, typically you will be given two hours to load it, or pay fairly hefty /hr charges, and the same to unload it. Personally I think that loading and unloading without access to a loading dock would be challenging unless you had everything palletized and had use of a forklift and a pallet truck.

In short, you might save a few quid by loading your own container, but at the expense of a lot of hard work. .... And I used to have a job loading and unloading ar-tic trailers, using pallet trucks and a loading dock. I have also moved my own home contents twice (28m^3, approx 1×20ft container, the first time, and about 65m^3, approximately 1×40ft container, the second time) and my in-laws once, and would think twice before doing so again!

All the points I was going to make have been covered.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a 20' container, filled it, and had it transported to my Property in Portugal. It worked out very well for me.
A few points;
If you have a place to keep it, the container is useful afterwards. This was part of my calculation.
If you intend to ship by sea, it has to have a certificate; that's not such a big deal if you know before you buy.
I sent mine by road. My new neighbor shipped from the same area, to the same area, by road/sea/road. The shipping agent arranges whatever is cheaper.

When I bought my container, I made a deal to keep it at the depot for 3 months, and for them to lift it onto the transport lorry with their monster forklift. This is important because they'll charge you for everything.

I did this because I intended to buy second hand machines for my workshop, and I needed to load then directly after buying; several of these were 300kg+ and somewhat tricky single handed without lifting machinery! I needed time and space.

The friendly guy who worked there told me I was the only person he ever saw fill one up. Most people ship 60% air. I welded a frame 2/3 of the way up, and put in a deck to hold lighter things like furniture. He said no one did that either; that's why they couldn't fill it up. All the wood and most of the metal was recycled into shelving and things afterwards.

My Dutch neighbor has been renting, and he keeps his container as a carpentry workshop when he moves house he loads all his furniture and things in there and has the whole thing moved again. We were both surprised to find we have the same Robland X31 combination carpentry machine.

It cost around 2,500 euros for transport. But some quotes were 3x higher. You have to call around.
These people get hundreds of emails and often don't answer them.

I just bought another container [from Sines] to use as a storage shed. They will rust through rapidly once the paint flakes. A brick building would actually be more practical, but there is no planning permission to be had in my area.

Last edited by liveaboard; Feb 12th 2018 at 6:29 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

liveaboard , thanks for the post good to see some numbers associated with costs
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Dingg, I have sent you a PM re shipping details. I am using Transportes Senhora da Agonia,Lda. Cross fingers they do what they say they say they are going to do.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ingles
Just rec'd a reply from the above ,only took 5 min's to fill in
I requested a 20' from Ashford Kent - Alcobaça PT -
They load & wrap & unload & place £2,450,00 + vat -door to door !