Sheep?

Old Jun 8th 2017, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sheep?

Do any of our members keep any sheep by any chance?

I'm getting gatvol sick of cutting the grass in my fields & am wondering if a few 4 legged lawnmowers might be a good solution?
Old Jun 8th 2017, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sheep?

Got no sheep, but I use this to mow my lawn and cut the grass and brush in the outer fields.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 2:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Goats are easier. They will eat your grass .... and pretty much anything else that grows on your property!
Old Jun 8th 2017, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Got no sheep, but I use this to mow my lawn and cut the grass and brush in the outer fields.
http://aljezurfarm.com/images/New%20...r%20wheels.jpg
Might be a bit big for my little fields but bring it round & we'll give it a go! lol!
Old Jun 8th 2017, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Goats are easier. They will eat your grass .... and pretty much anything else that grows on your property!
I thought about goats but as I understand it, they prefer to browse rather than graze which would mean they'd prefer to eat my fruit trees rather than my grass & I want the opposite to happen.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 2:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I thought about goats but as I understand it, they prefer to browse rather than graze which would mean they'd prefer to eat my fruit trees rather than my grass & I want the opposite to happen.
Yeah, goats don't give a cräp what they eat.

There are businesses here on the east coast that rent out flocks of goats by the week. A week is all it takes 40 goats to strip an acre of thicket and undergrowth, including thistles, thorns, invasive creepers and weeds like kudzu and Japanese knot weed, and even nuisance plants like prison ivy.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've tried my neighbours but they all seem to have more than enough grazing of their own so that's probably a non starter for me.

I reckon I'd only need 2 or 3 of them to keep the field in a manageable state.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 2:49 pm

How about one of these, or similar, instead.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How about one of these, or similar, instead.
I did even look at cheaper versions of those but even if the price was acceptable (which it isn't) my ground is far too rough for one of those things to cope with.

I also keep ducks & have a system where the ponds (actually old steel baths) are flushed out with hoses & rainwater from the roof & the 'enriched' water overflows into trenches which run to my fruit trees so that'd also rule out an automatic mower....... it'd either end up in a trench or at the bottom of a pond.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Why not find a local Cheese factory who keep sheep and ask at lambing time if you could have a few of the males that normally get killed. When they are big enough i would offer my services and butcher them for you.

Peter
Old Jun 8th 2017, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi

Why not find a local Cheese factory who keep sheep and ask at lambing time if you could have a few of the males that normally get killed. When they are big enough i would offer my services and butcher them for you.

Peter
Hadn't thought about that option at all Peter so thanks for the idea & also the offer.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping animals is not a trivial matter; if you want to do that, by all means go for it. Lots of people do.

But if what you need is keeping your grass and brush clear, get an appropriate machine.
You could get a small tractor and a rear mounted brush cutter. Tractors are handy, and available in a large variety of sizes to suit your needs.

Of course Peter's offer might well sway the calculation in favor of sheep... Mutton is very tasty.
A big problem though, is that most people don't feel happy about eating animals that they knew and cared for.
I thought I was a really hard-boiled kind of guy, but I had trouble with that myself.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

http://aljezurfarm.com/images/New%20...r%20wheels.jpg
Tracking is a tad out on your front left wheel!
Old Jun 8th 2017, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Keeping animals is not a trivial matter; if you want to do that, by all means go for it. Lots of people do.

But if what you need is keeping your grass and brush clear, get an appropriate machine.
You could get a small tractor and a rear mounted brush cutter. Tractors are handy, and available in a large variety of sizes to suit your needs.

Of course Peter's offer might well sway the calculation in favor of sheep... Mutton is very tasty.
A big problem though, is that most people don't feel happy about eating animals that they knew and cared for.
I thought I was a really hard-boiled kind of guy, but I had trouble with that myself.
We keep ducks, dog & cat now so another few animals are no big deal especially as they eat grass & don't need much feed from the shops.......... and as for eating them, whilst it wouldn't bother me in the least, it bothers the 'management' so we don't do it.

As for machines........ the land is too big to mow, too small & too many javali to farm & although it can be strimmed, I'm sick of spending half my life with a strimmer hanging on me which is why I'm considering a couple of four legged mowers. - Might even just buy one to see how it goes & then buy more as necessary.

Last edited by mfesharne; Jun 8th 2017 at 7:04 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 6:56 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I let the neighbour's sheep keep my grass down - but, they are fussy and like the young stuff - if the grass/scrub gets beyond a certain point they won't touch it.

Last year they didn't cross over due to a problem - and boy did I notice the difference. Back this year, so only the thistles and irises (and the rock rose) to worry about.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.