Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Selling UK Car in Portugal

Selling UK Car in Portugal

Old Jun 6th 2013, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Kat BPM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling UK Car in Portugal

Hi I am thinking of moving to Portugal at least for 6 months, (possibly to stay longer if i like it), i was thinking that a cost effective way of getting myself and all my gear (more than i want to take on an airplane) would be to buy a left hand drive car in UK and sell it when i get to portugal.

I have a suspicion it will be more complicated than i think? Any info and advice appreciated.

Thanks Kat
Old Jun 6th 2013, 6:25 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling UK Car in Portugal

Just purchase a Portuguese plated car in teh UK
Like this one: Golf
or this one: Peugeot Van
a list here
Or fly out purchase one in Portugal.
Drive it back to UK and pick up your stuff drive your stuff to PT
Suggested website
This page tells you how to go about registering said car.

i think you should do a web search to find a lot more cars for sale.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Thank you thats a good idea, although perhaps a bit limiting in choice, but if matrication is complicated and very expensive then that might be my only viable option. Thanks again for getting back to me!
Old Jun 6th 2013, 7:06 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

To matriculate the car you need to have owned for 12 months and to avoid much of the tax you also need to have taken up Portuguese residency.
WE have thought about doing the same but sorning it in the UK until we have owned it for the required period then taking it ti Portugal for matriculation.
It could save us a few thousand pounds in the long term
Old Jun 6th 2013, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi EMR

Yeah Ive had a look at LHD cars with Portuguese plates for sale in UK, and as I suspected, not a lot of choice (just going by todays searches), so my preferred choice was to buy one here and then take it with me.

i was going to buy it now in June, drive to Portugal to live in October, live there for 6months so I believe the car would be legally allowed to be driven there for 6months after my arrival (as long as I personally have left the country at 3 months then returned, so do not take out residency). If after i have been in the country 6 months I could then apply for residency and apply for matrication for the car, is my understanding correct? (I would be a month short of 12 months but presume i could keep the car off road there for a month).

Could i sell the car without metrication, as i may not actually need a car much when i get there. Main purpose was to cut down my transportation costs.

Thanks Kat
Old Jun 6th 2013, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll send a car full of stuff through a shipper for far cheaper than driving the car from there to here, even before the expense of buying the car.
I was at Direct Transport once, and they were unloading a GB reg car from their lorry. They told me they carry it to Portugal for the owners every year, and take it back too; and that it's cheaper than if the owners drove it themselves.
So, just the contents of the car will be FAR cheaper that way.
Then take a low cost flight.
All this buying and matriculating can be a real pain, really not worth it unless you want the car. And even then it often runs into snags.
Buying a Portuguese car in UK sounds good, but you'll need to be sure it has no Portuguese debt, does have road tax paid, has valid inspection, and then you still won't be able to register and insure it in your own name until after you get to Portugal.
All a bit stressful if all you want is cheap transport, which it won't give you.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I think you'll send a car full of stuff through a shipper for far cheaper than driving the car from there to here, even before the expense of buying the car.
I was at Direct Transport once, and they were unloading a GB reg car from their lorry. They told me they carry it to Portugal for the owners every year, and take it back too; and that it's cheaper than if the owners drove it themselves.
So, just the contents of the car will be FAR cheaper that way.
Then take a low cost flight.
All this buying and matriculating can be a real pain, really not worth it unless you want the car. And even then it often runs into snags.
Buying a Portuguese car in UK sounds good, but you'll need to be sure it has no Portuguese debt, does have road tax paid, has valid inspection, and then you still won't be able to register and insure it in your own name until after you get to Portugal.
All a bit stressful if all you want is cheap transport, which it won't give you.
Thanks Liveabroad, thats very helpful advice, the more i read up on matriculating in portugal the more it sounds like a headache... my naive idea was that a left hand car would be cheaper to buy here and worth more there and that the price difference would pay for the journey and transporting of my equipment... if only it was that easy!

But all the information I am getting is really useful including that about shipping, and also i hadn't considered that about portuguese cars actually may have debts facing their return to portugal. Thanks again saving me from many pitfalls :-)
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at the links posted by Casa Santo Estevo; Those Portuguese registered cars in the UK sure don't look like bargains to me.
3,000 Euros for a beat up 14 year old small van? I think it would cost the same or less here in Portugal, and as you pointed out, there would be a lot of choice.
The listing is from a dealer, so I guess he must be selling them anyway.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

morgan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are right liveboard I see the same van other day done 135000 k
all legal 1 year guarantee 1450 euros year was 2000
Old Jun 8th 2013, 12:10 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I just gave some random links to try and help the OP. The question had not been answered so I just dived in.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
I just gave some random links to try and help the OP. The question had not been answered so I just dived in.
Thank you! the links, information and tips from you and everyone who has replied, has been really useful. Much appreciated.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 11:07 pm

Some things are so much easier in the UK, but then they can course other problems.
I wish you well in your new adventure in life. Keep us informed on how you get on.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Some things are so much easier in the UK, but then they can course other problems.
I wish you well in your new adventure in life. Keep us informed on how you get on.
Thanks Im looking forward, and no doubt I will be back on these forums needing more advice and info (and maybe in the future to give it) best wishes Kat
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Centralbound is an unknown quantity at this point

You can buy a reasonable but basic small van or car here for under €2k second hand, and an NCAP 4 or better small van with economic diesel engine for about €5k. You'll be legal and can sell it on fairly easily.

You can ship a pallet fairly cheaply, some way under the your own cost of ferry, tolls & fuel. There are a bunch of small businesses doing this.

Also beware the tons of BS people will tell you regarding "popping over the border" etc. It's not true for personal tax and residence purposes, and doubly so when it comes to running UK cars here. I believe many people pass on false info about keeping UK cars here to reassure themselves rather than to help anyone else.

Anyway, boa sorte.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

kelissa is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Selling UK Car in Portugal

Hi. I drove my English (Maylaysian actually) car over and matriculated it here.

I heard all the terrible tales of fines, costs, etc and was extremely worried to say the least.Every ex-pat wanted to advise me, although very few had done it.

Reality.....test in Evora Thursday....visit to Setubal Friday.......job done.

I did have to send a letter to IMTT as my car is unusual and has no main dealer.
Cost 164E.(and a little grovelling to Portugese friend to write it for me). Test "B class" 70E. Import tax 259E. Number plates 14E.

Don't be put off by prophets of doom and gloom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.