British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Self-employment within the Portuguese system. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/self-employment-within-portuguese-system-904219/)

TheLostPhotographer Oct 6th 2017 12:41 pm

Self-employment within the Portuguese system.

A search found no results (to my surprise - perhaps I searched wrong).

Obviously, all circumstances are specific, but does anyone know a good online resource for general guidance (preferably in English), or can anyone here give a basic lowdown? The Spanish system was never really going to be an option for myself for a few reasons, but Portugal looks very workable from what I know so far.

Any people here working self-employed (as a sole trader/autonomo) in the Portuguese system who would be happy to share knowledge, give advice etc?

I have found a few websites with reasonable info', but firsthand experiences are always better.

My plan is to 'test the ground' for a few weeks with just my fiscal number, and then, if things work, go fully legit. Before I budget in legal fees and professional advice, I would like as many stories from personal experiences as possible.

Thanks in advance if anyone has the time.

Mike Oct 7th 2017 9:46 am

Re: Self-employment within the Portuguese system.

You have a fiscal number.
You then must open an activity with Financas before you can starting trading/providing service, etc
All invoices/receipts must now be issued via Financas portal.
You will be given 12 months grace on Social Security payments on your first activity.
Sounds great!
Start earning a decent living and things start to go wrong.
Taxes go up. You will be forced to charge IVA. Your Social Security payments will rocket.
Hence the black economy.

gedscottish Oct 10th 2017 10:07 am

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer (Post 12354920)
A search found no results (to my surprise - perhaps I searched wrong).

Obviously, all circumstances are specific, but does anyone know a good online resource for general guidance (preferably in English), or can anyone here give a basic lowdown? The Spanish system was never really going to be an option for myself for a few reasons, but Portugal looks very workable from what I know so far.

Any people here working self-employed (as a sole trader/autonomo) in the Portuguese system who would be happy to share knowledge, give advice etc?

I have found a few websites with reasonable info', but firsthand experiences are always better.

My plan is to 'test the ground' for a few weeks with just my fiscal number, and then, if things work, go fully legit. Before I budget in legal fees and professional advice, I would like as many stories from personal experiences as possible.

Thanks in advance if anyone has the time.

Accountants are fairly priced, you'll probably find you'll get the basic information you need and they won't even charging you. Speak to an accountant for sure and be 100% certain on what you're doing.

TheLostPhotographer Oct 12th 2017 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by gedscottish (Post 12357682)
Accountants are fairly priced... be 100% certain on what you're doing.

You are right of course. Stupid of me to ask here :D Nah - never any harm in asking.

I have been collecting client business cards throughout the summer. Will speak to them. Then talk with an accountant. Then report back here.

I'm just an artist - not expecting big income. In fact, I would be very happy living on equivalent to the national average salary, but I want to know how to make this happen all legitimately should I choose to do so.

Thanks for the replies.