Utilities

Old Oct 12th 2017, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future
Default Utilities

How does the utilities contract system work in Portugal?

My lawyer arranges to transfer utilities into my name when I purchase my property but how do I know I'm not taking a contract that locks me into paying more than I need to? Is there a similar system as in the UK where you can shop around for suppliers?

I'm guessing water depends on location and there no real option of supplier but gas and electricity?...

I'm sure everyone has their own tales to tell of good and bad for broadband/TV/phone suppliers but any pointers welcome. I'm not a huge TV watcher so basics is fine but good broadband is vital. I'll be in a town so hopefully speeds will be good but I've no idea how to find out what's best other than walk into a shop and hope I don't get ripped off.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities

There is a lot of knowledge of these things on the forum, but I think more details are required to help you.

Are you planning to be here full time?
What kind of property? do you have a pool, a garden, what sort of heating system?
As far as I can tell, the internet / TV / phone deals are all exactly equal to each other, but your choice will depend on your location and your usage.

Most homes intended for "expats" have huge power services installed that have high standing charges. You can easily down size but might get nuisance tripping. It's an entire and somewhat boring subject of its own.
Other homes [ours before renovation] have tiny little services that won't run an electric kettle...
Old Oct 12th 2017, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by liveaboard
There is a lot of knowledge of these things on the forum, but I think more details are required to help you.

Are you planning to be here full time?
What kind of property? do you have a pool, a garden, what sort of heating system?
As far as I can tell, the internet / TV / phone deals are all exactly equal to each other, but your choice will depend on your location and your usage.

Most homes intended for "expats" have huge power services installed that have high standing charges. You can easily down size but might get nuisance tripping. It's an entire and somewhat boring subject of its own.
Other homes [ours before renovation] have tiny little services that won't run an electric kettle...
I'll be making a permanent move to a 10 year old townhouse (if things go to plan). No garden, no pool and at the moment the heating is via log burner with recuperator. I am having aircon/heaters installed though. I'll be living alone so can't imagine my usage is going to be huge.

I'm not sure what's meant by homes for expats? The people I know tend to live in amongst the Portuguese in a mixture of settings. If you mean a condominium then no, I wont be on one.

Sounds like another minefield of a subject
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Mother in Law has apartment in Sao Bras:
Water supplied by Sao Bras Camara.
Gas by Gas Verde
Electric by EDP.

I would speak to people who live in town regarding internet. We use a 3/4G modem in apartment with a Vodafone SIM. OK for general use but not used for streaming TV. We put up a satellite dish for Intelsat 907 which gives basic UK terrestrial channels.