Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Searching for glass for old PT wood stove...East Algarve

Searching for glass for old PT wood stove...East Algarve

Old Nov 5th 2015, 2:48 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Searching for glass for old PT wood stove...East Algarve

Here is a photo of old babe

Can find the manufacturer anywhere on stove, is this unit familiar to anyone?
AND If I can find the panel of glass or have it made HOW HOW HOW do I install it? Thanks for any advice other then to buy a new one...

Searching for glass for old PT wood stove...East Algarve-stove-complete.jpg

Searching for glass for old PT wood stove...East Algarve-stove-missing-pane-glass.jpg
Old Nov 5th 2015, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice
Default Re: Searching for glass for old PT wood stove...East Algarve

Send a message to Geoff at Fires of Portugal (.com) or just get the glass cut by any glass merchant. Stove rope gasket easily available on Ebay or most PT Drogarias

Easier in the UK where as always Google is your friend Replacement Stove Glass | Heat Resistance Stove Glass

Last edited by MrBife; Nov 5th 2015 at 11:17 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

The vidraria(glass merchant is name in english I guess) where I went to have two cut(my daughter has smashed it twice) also had the gasket rope, so perhaps you'll find your local one does also. I would also imagine places like Leroy Merlin would have the rope/gasket.

Edit: Just had a look at the photo, I love that!! However that's a curved piece of glass? (if so, may not be so easy as I thought)
Old Nov 7th 2015, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

I took my door (with the broken glass in it) to my local Fire shop and he replaced it for me.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:34 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

thanks bunches fellas VERY helpful. YES the door is curved and the slats of glass are not. AND there doesn't seem to be a reasonable way to install or remove the glass. The one in hand was able to be removed because it was broken.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:51 pm
Smokn Joy

Geoff or Son-in-Law Samuel from 'Fires of Portugal' on there way next week HURRAH!
Old Nov 21st 2015, 2:27 pm
Smokn Joy

Default UPDATE: Searching for glass for old PT wood stove, Algarve

UPDATE: Well The Fires of Portugal, let us down, 1st they were too busy to see us for a week then cancelled the day before the appointment suggesting they can't look at the stove until early December. They offered to rebuild the stove for 450.00 euros or we could spend 20.00 Euros on some 'Stove Black'...OUCH! I only wanted a pane of glass and a collar for the stove pipe... So off we went AGAIN with da Google translate clutched in our sweaty paws and da same phone photo of stove to a wee Portuguese stove place next door to LIDL in Loule, (Marbri Lda), glass cut and installed for 12.50 euros, stove pipe collar 12.00 euros and the wee hardware store in town sold us the 'Stove Black' for 3.50 Euros...... all done for 28.00 euros and 1+hours' worth of elbow grease... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 10:52 am
Smokn Joy

Here is the almost finished 'shiny stove' Searching for glass for old PT wood stove...East Algarve-shiny-stove.jpg
still have to paint silver collar & ash pan...but boy does it HEAT the cottage!
:rofl
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

Well done an inspiring story. Enjoy the warmth
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Well done. That is a super looking stove. Any chance that the people whom fix it for you, could give you the name of the maker and if they are still available to purchase?
Thanks.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 6:15 pm
Smokn Joy

nogard, we looked everywhere on the stove but could not find a name. Will stop by the stove store that installed the glass and see what they know...they ONLY speak Portuguese and We ONLY English (at this point in time). But it's so practical, compact, with a large flat area for the kettle, nice glass for romantic viewing with mePat. It's made with very heavy cast iron...we barely loaded in the back of the Roomster when we took it to the shop.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 6:21 pm
Smokn Joy

'Shameless Trumpeting'; if anyone ever needs a clever, strong experienced DIY man, think of mePat. I'm so proud of what he did with this stove (see before & after pics) ...sanded the rust, polished the brass, carefully painted it...dunno just he did me proud.
NOTE: the bottom curved pan is removable and exists to cash the ash when you open the door....cool that
Old Dec 7th 2015, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Need to replace gasket/rope on fire window. Any ideas Tavira to Olhão.? Window comes off so can take it there. It's a 'Supra' , French, ........ Want to change it too.. Any suggestions, not Fogo Montanha though.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 5:39 am
Smokn Joy

The "agricultural store" I call it....it has a woman's name Maria something just down from Aldi on the right going back into Tavira has it I think. I know their giant sister store near Santa Rita has if for sure. To tell the truth I actually go to this store for NO reason just to walk the aisles inside and outside to see all the amazing stuff they have ...(it's country girl thing like drinking pints at lunch) and here in Loule just before LIDL on the right kind hidden back a wee bit is my own stove store. They have EVERYTHING with rows and rows of replacement supplies and about 20 stoves for sale, some very nice ones too! Loule not that far and has a VERY cool indoor market until Noonish.