Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Satellite TV - Freeview Channels

Satellite TV - Freeview Channels

Old Jul 24th 2017, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Bucbar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Satellite TV - Freeview Channels

Whilst I know what happened when the satellites were moved a few years back I've still got this mother of a dish on my roof and a Humax receiver so is there anyone who can tell me if this equipment is any use or shall I bin it?
By the way I only want terrestrial TV and also know all about Internet TV so don't need anyone to educate me about this - I'm simply re-evaluating the equipment I've got and just hoping to find a solution to using it again!

Last edited by Bucbar; Jul 24th 2017 at 1:45 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 24th 2017, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Satellite TV - Freeview Channels

How about recycling it into a birdbath or possibly a skottel braai?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bucbar
Whilst I know what happened when the satellites were moved a few years back I've still got this mother of a dish on my roof and a Humax receiver so is there anyone who can tell me if this equipment is any use or shall I bin it?
By the way I only want terrestrial TV and also know all about Internet TV so don't need anyone to educate me about this - I'm simply re-evaluating the equipment I've got and just hoping to find a solution to using it again!
Mention where about you are so some may be able to help you, people near me still have UK TV via there big dishes.

Peter
Old Jul 24th 2017, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

If you can turn the dish about 90 degrees towards the West, you could pick up Intelsat 907 and watch a limited number of good UK TV channels but not with the Humax receiver. You will need to buy something like a Icecrypt S1600CHD receiver for about £70 on Amazon or £60 at Maplin. You will probably need help with tuning in to the satellite. Where do you live?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BillBullock
If you can turn the dish about 90 degrees towards the West, you could pick up Intelsat 907 and watch a limited number of good UK TV channels but not with the Humax receiver. You will need to buy something like a Icecrypt S1600CHD receiver for about £70 on Amazon or £60 at Maplin. You will probably need help with tuning in to the satellite. Where do you live?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm receiving intelsat 907; reception is excellent, but there is no program guide and it was a real beast to get the programs working.

I use a VU+ receiver and it has an 'app' that will retrieve the EPG data over the internet, which then works just like the sat based one.
That stopped working a while back and I never got around to fixing it. Frankly, 907 has so few channels we rarely bother with it.

Like the OP, I just wanted my 1.8M dish to have some function.
A solution in need of a problem.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Some good tips for putting an old dish to use, here ...

Old Jul 24th 2017, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Bucbar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by peterfc
Mention where about you are so some may be able to help you, people near me still have UK TV via there big dishes.

Peter
Vilamoura
Old Jul 24th 2017, 10:59 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bucbar
Vilamoura
Just how big a dish, 3, 4, 5 metre.
Freesat BBC, ITV Tec is not available via the old etc dishes South of Lisbon and some way east into Spain.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:15 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I'm receiving intelsat 907; reception is excellent, but there is no program guide and it was a real beast to get the programs working.

I use a VU+ receiver and it has an 'app' that will retrieve the EPG data over the internet, which then works just like the sat based one.
That stopped working a while back and I never got around to fixing it. Frankly, 907 has so few channels we rarely bother with it.

Like the OP, I just wanted my 1.8M dish to have some function.
A solution in need of a problem.
I had a similar dish and when the "normal" satellite reception disappeared, I bought a technomate receiver and accessed intelsat 907. It is used by Arqiva to provide a backup service to certain channels and is not officially for use by punters. You need a code for access and it changed fairly regularly - so then it was a dash to see who posted the new one on the internet. The channels provided are the BBC plus ITV1 and Channel4 - so a limited selection, although the quality was normally good for me in the Alentejo.

Then I had some building work done last year that required removal of the dish ...... and I've never got around to putting it back. Given that it's an unofficaial source, you'll need to buy a new receiver, the channels offered are few and it's a faff to keep it working - I'd invest my time and money in internet access if I were you....
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

macliam:

I have experienced no problems with Intelsat 907. The code has not changed since December 2014 so there is nothing to faff about. The channels offered include the only decent TV in my humble opinion. I sometimes use the internet to access TV but the copper wires in my remote part of the East Algarve do not provide wonderful broadband. I stopped using IPTV because I was not prepared to pay for unreliable reception. Intelsat 907 gives me reliable HD reception of the best UK TV channels, so I'm sticking with it until the satellite is unavailable.

Bucbar:

There is a use for your dish if you can turn it about 90 degrees to the West but the Humax receiver is best sold to someone in the UK.

Last edited by BillBullock; Jul 25th 2017 at 6:38 am.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 9:07 am
Just Joined

MorrisC8 is an unknown quantity at this point

We use a Humax here [near penela] so i would think you could sell it to someone in portugal..
We get all the freesat channels here.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by macliam
I had a similar dish and when the "normal" satellite reception disappeared, I bought a technomate receiver and accessed intelsat 907. It is used by Arqiva to provide a backup service to certain channels and is not officially for use by punters. You need a code for access and it changed fairly regularly - so then it was a dash to see who posted the new one on the internet. The channels provided are the BBC plus ITV1 and Channel4 - so a limited selection, although the quality was normally good for me in the Alentejo.

Then I had some building work done last year that required removal of the dish ...... and I've never got around to putting it back. Given that it's an unofficaial source, you'll need to buy a new receiver, the channels offered are few and it's a faff to keep it working - I'd invest my time and money in internet access if I were you....
Channel 5 too.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 9:41 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike
Channel 5 too.
I never got Channel 5, so can't comment.

I don't disagree that if you have it up and running it might be OK, but for someone who needs to set it all up, I think the energy may be best spent elsewhere.

I use my copper-wire slow internet without an IPTV subscription service and it suits my purposes, but it depends on circumstances. If it's a choice between paying for a new receiver, etc. or better internet, I'd choose the latter.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by macliam
I never got Channel 5, so can't comment.

I don't disagree that if you have it up and running it might be OK, but for someone who needs to set it all up, I think the energy may be best spent elsewhere.

I use my copper-wire slow internet without an IPTV subscription service and it suits my purposes, but it depends on circumstances. If it's a choice between paying for a new receiver, etc. or better internet, I'd choose the latter.

If only there was a better internet option here! Fibre optic cable is a long way off and the mobile mast systems of NOS etc get clogged up with traffic and your screen freezes if you try to watch TV.

£60 for a receiver is a small price to pay for TV that you can switch on and change channels with ease. Don't forget that the wife cannot cope with anything more difficult!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.