Satellite TV

Old Mar 15th 2018, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Satellite TV

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I like the satellite signal better; high definition, no buffering or pausing, and it works on the TV without the PC being involved.

And when the internet goes down, it still works.

I tried a few of those IPTV services [only free ones], and I found the quality terrible and the systems ponderous to use, even though I have high speed internet and I'm no technophobe.

I don't know if that was what you were missing...
Buffering etc can be caused by a number of things & there are various ways to transfer it to the TV...... even a dumb/non smart TV but I for one don't suffer those problems even with slower connections.

I just don't see the logic in wanting to use an outdated Jodrell Bank style satellite dish when modern technology is so much better & easier.

Last edited by mfesharne; Mar 15th 2018 at 9:33 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Because it's not easier, and not better.
It's just newer.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 11:45 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure that off you took a poll of all those who lost their UK TV via sat asking them if they would want it back the vast majority would bite your hand off.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:25 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
I am sure that off you took a poll of all those who lost their UK TV via sat asking them if they would want it back the vast majority would bite your hand off.
This
Old Mar 16th 2018, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Up until we left PT last year, we'd had our dish re-aligned the previous year to the satellite channel that provides UK TV for the armed forces overseas. Only the usual UK terrestrial programmes, BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and 5 etc. but the transmission was excellent.

There was a risk of needing a re-tuning we were told, but didn't happen in the 18 months we were viewing.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Bucbar is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok all you techy guys out there - Great feedback and I can now tell you that I’ve been bullied into buying a new MAG 256 and IPTV here I come - again!🤞
Over and out and thanks!

Last edited by Bucbar; Mar 17th 2018 at 3:09 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

MAG 256 and IPTV

Sounds like a Kodi type box or something running on the Raspberry PI and best of all it's running on Linux so pretty safe

Peter
Old Mar 18th 2018, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

tonisdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bucbar
Ok all you techy guys out there - Great feedback and I can now tell you that I’ve been bullied into buying a new MAG 256 and IPTV here I come - again!🤞
Over and out and thanks!
Bucbar:
I use MAG254 and IPTV...256 is newer version I have no problem whatsoever even with pretty rubbish internet.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 2:34 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonisdad
Bucbar:
I use MAG254 and IPTV...256 is newer version I have no problem whatsoever even with pretty rubbish internet.
Define "pretty rubbish"......

I notice there is a MAG322 as well, is that an even newer version?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

tonisdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macliam
Define "pretty rubbish"......

I notice there is a MAG322 as well, is that an even newer version?
No no keep up...Different RAM/chipset/flash memory etc.etc.
How do you know it is "pretty rubbish" do you have experience?
Or are you just another with input who has no clue what they are on about?
Old Mar 19th 2018, 12:05 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by tonisdad
No no keep up...Different RAM/chipset/flash memory etc.etc.
How do you know it is "pretty rubbish" do you have experience?
Or are you just another with input who has no clue what they are on about?
Problem chum?

You said "even with pretty rubbish internet", so it's fair to ask how you define that - I have about 2 mbps, so it's of interest.

As for the other, OK, knew nothing, never f-ing heard of the kit. See difference, still don't know the practical difference.

But don't let me keep you from your tea.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

I would hold off buying the 322 just yet. There have been problems with firmware and 2 new versions have been released already due to problems running the Stalker software.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I've ordered a Schishion V88; the specs seem good, and firmware updates are available over the internet.
And it was cheap; something like 30 euros with postage.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 12:01 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Mike
I would hold off buying the 322 just yet. There have been problems with firmware and 2 new versions have been released already due to problems running the Stalker software.
Thanks - useful info.
Originally Posted by liveaboard
I've ordered a Schishion V88; the specs seem good, and firmware updates are available over the internet.
And it was cheap; something like 30 euros with postage.
Thanks for that - at the price it may be worth a punt, as internet speed will be the issue for me. I can view on my Android tablet but not cast (and no HDMI output) - so a directly connected box might work......
Old Mar 19th 2018, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, I figure at that price it's worth a try.
I only intend to use it as a video player for downloads. I've been using my satellite box for that but it can't handle some newer formats, and upgrades for it are limited.
I had a noname android TV box but didn't use it for a while, it seemed to be scrambled. I hit the reset tab and it went dark. I assume there's no ROM backup in it as there should be.
Anyway, this time I looked first to see if there's any support available and chose the Schishion.
Supposedly new firmware can be downloaded and flashed through a PC if updates are required.

A lot of vids I download are highly compressed now, and need considerable processor power to play.
I suspect it's similar with an internet video stream.