Salamandras

Old Jan 12th 2018, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute
Question Salamandras

Hi,

I'm looking for a good site to look at the different options and prices for Salamandras, any ideas, please?

I am Googling, but would also like to make use of any previous experience anyone might have

Also, pros and cons of wood vs pellets?

I am Lisbon based

Thanks

Leigh

Last edited by Midgo; Jan 12th 2018 at 4:16 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salamandras

I'm a big fan of pellets but before you buy anything you need to work out the size you need or have a professional do it for you & you/he/she needs to factor in things like insulation levels etc rather than just room volume.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Salamander is just a brand name - as an option, take a look at this Portuguese manufacturer.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBife
Salamander is just a brand name - as an option, take a look at this Portuguese manufacturer.
Link NBG
Old Jan 13th 2018, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Will do it the low tech way then - Aquecimento a Pellets e Lenha Solzaima Nice Portuguese manufactured range of product that works well and is good value
Old Jan 14th 2018, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

I never knew Salamandra was a brand name - thought it was just a Portuguese word.
A bit like our' Hoover' then?

I think we will go with a wood burner rather than Pellets.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Pellet burners have now been selected
Old Feb 6th 2018, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrBife
Link does not work. Salamander may be a brand name but "Salamandra" is a wood burner like these:

Leroy Merlin - Produtos
Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks,
Was going to check out Leroy Merlin for pellet burners
Also have some friends who have them (Teresa saw them and so the decision was made), will ask them where they got them
Old Mar 18th 2018, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

beccydan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Midgo - what did you decide on in the end? What are the pro's and cons of either?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beccydan
Hey Midgo - what did you decide on in the end? What are the pro's and cons of either?
Hi,

We have bought two 8 kW pellet burners for downstairs

We will try them out this winter to see if we need to install the inverter Aircon upstairs or not.

I suspect not as we will have interior roof installation, exterior capoto and all new double glazed doors and windows, and we have been (very) conservative in our kW choice

Actually, I was going to post here, since the advice online is misleading w.r.t. the 'exhaust'

One of the pro's quoted is that you dont have to have a proper chimney / flue and can just vent at a low level through the wall and this installation is cheaper / easier.

However, it appears that in fact the flue has to follow the same rules as any other fire - with minimum exit height above a sloping roof (to a distance of 1300 mm measured at 90 degrees to a sloping roof - obviously the flu is vertical) or apex (500 mm), and extra height if within 5m of upstairs windows (at height of top of window if further than 5m, 1000 mm higher if closer than 5m to the window). Taken from the installation instructions that came with it, as per the Italian standard UNI 10683, apparently - look from page 106 in the linked pdf. Its an Italian standard I think but I guess it must be ISO equivalent?

It looks to me that in terms of functionality, the internal fan does mean that a long flue is not required for proper operation BUT the regulations designed to stop us killing ourselves are the same as for other fires (even though there is potentially less smoke with a pellet burner)

I found this out when they arrived last week with the manuals stuck to the boxes, and have been meaning to update this thread for anyone else finding it

The manual says that if these standards arent followed the guarantee is void.

However, I'm still trying to find the equivalent PT standards

Anyone know any more on this?
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

I talked to the guy in Leroy Merlin (I should have done this initially instead of relying on Internet info!) and he told me the regs for pellet burners are the same as for wood burners- chimney to above roof.

I checked my calcs using the UK standards which use a different calc method but come to the same result - in my specific situation where my chimneys will exit (i.e. may not be your result) the chimneys have to both extend past the roof by 1 m.

Also, pipe has to be insulated (sandwich double skin) if on outside wall going up - 70€ per m (to stop condensation inside tube)
T joint with cap at bottom for cleaning
Rain hat
Short horizontal pipe out through wall from burner can be single skin
We also need an air vent of at least 80 cm² - If we put the vent behind burner no probs with drafts

So, considerably more expensive than initially thought but still would have been our preferred option mainly due to controllability and timer etc
Old Mar 24th 2018, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Ouchy - sounds expensive - did you fit yourself?

Our downstairs is open plan-ish (the double doors from lounge/diner have been whipped off to the hall/stairs....) so whilst the room itself is only about 80m3 which suggests a 6kw, I've been eyeing up a 14kw burner in bricomarche....do you think I'm (literally) overcooking it?
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beccydan
Ouchy - sounds expensive - did you fit yourself?

Our downstairs is open plan-ish (the double doors from lounge/diner have been whipped off to the hall/stairs....) so whilst the room itself is only about 80m3 which suggests a 6kw, I've been eyeing up a 14kw burner in bricomarche....do you think I'm (literally) overcooking it?
I'm not doing it myself, but am directing the builders in what to do with the aid of the manufacturers instructions.

We have 250 m³ downstairs (two main areas which are mostly open plan or with open and wide doors) and 150 m³ upstairs.
Since the 8 kW burners we have say 183 m³ (a very exact number!) we got two, both to go downstairs.

The house is having all new roof and exterior wall insulation (called 'Capoto' here) and double-glazed windows. They have knocked out all the windows but the roof insulation is in and the house feels warmer like this than it did with leaky windows and no insulation, when the wall insulation and windows are put in I predict a toasty abode.
The exit through the exterior wall insulation requires an inflammable square insert around the flue of at least 100 mm wider than the tube

We also have a fireplace in the living room, but I hope not to have to use it much as its a pain when I dont have any time as it is.

I am sure all the calcs are very estimative!

I think the main problem is going to be heat distribution. We have a big mobile floor fan that we used for summer, but that might come in handy.
We will suck it and see.

Our main problem (which would be the same with 'normal' wood burners) is finding good places to put them both where they are well distributed for distributing the heat around the house whilst not being within 20 cm of anything combustible and having a good place for the flue to exit and go up the wall without any obstacles.

Please note that I am no expert in these things, but 14 kW for 80 m³ seems very excessive, especially for open plan. You don't say if the house is well insulated which will make a big difference.

Good luck
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Lol! Thanks!! Will have a re-think and a chat with the builder. We've got dbl glazing doors and windows, but not sure how to find out (short of knocking a hole in it!) what sort of walls we've got - it was only built 8 years ago? No loft hatch so no way of knowing re roof insulation either. Have rechecked the survey and EPC but no clues there either....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.