Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

RSPCA equivalent in Portugal

RSPCA equivalent in Portugal

Old Jul 20th 2015, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RSPCA equivalent in Portugal

Anyone know the name for the Portuguese equivalent of the RSPCA - or any Portuguese anti animal cruelty organisation where I can report cruelty ?

Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2015, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Jessel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RSPCA equivalent in Portugal

You can report animal cruelty to the GNR, but whether or not they will do anything is questionable.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly "Jessel" post is correct in every detail.

http://www.lpda.pt/

They are affiliated to RSPCA UK & others world wide.

If you open :- Alteração de Legislação - there is info on last years updated Law's

Last edited by Ingles; Jul 20th 2015 at 11:41 am. Reason: Link added
Old Jul 20th 2015, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute

OK - I'll see what my options are. But it doesn't look like I can phone a place and have someone come round to investigate. May have to report to GNR if I don't get any other leads.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

If you are living in Olivais, Lisboa, in the fuirst instance, i would go and see the local Freguesia and get their advice:

JUNTA DE FREGUESIA DE OLIVAIS
Rua General Silva Freire, Lote C,
1849-029 Olivais
Telefone: 21 854 06 90 | Fax: 21 852 06 87
[email protected] | JF Olivais - Home
Horário: Segunda a Sexta das 09h00 às 17h30
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

I contacted defesa direitos animais and they suggested reporting the issue to the GNR instead. (if its any consolation, they replied the same day I contacted them). So I will next write to the nearest GNR office.

The issue I want to report is actually near where I work in central Lisbon. For over a year now I walk past the same spot - along the exclusive Avenida de Liberdade with all those fancy shops (Hugo Boss, Massimo Dutti etc). Right outside one such shop are a pair of dogs chained all day to a fire hydrant. Quite apart from violating fire regulations, the dogs are left there from 08:30 AM - when I walk past them to go to work - and they are still there, tied to the same spot by chains at 18:30 when I go home. Last Friday I left at 21h (late meeting!) - and they were STILL tied there! They endure the hot sun. There is an upturned hat nearby where presumably people are supposed to throw money into. I have never once seen the owner. Tourist walk past - sometimes showing pity, sometimes even offering a treat. But I want to report it. Its been over a year now. I have taken photos during the morning and evening.

The dogs don't appear to be in poor health, or otherwise mistreated. But the thought of being chained all day, every day for up to 16 hours, with the intent of luring money into the hat is unacceptable.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ah207
I contacted defesa direitos animais and they suggested reporting the issue to the GNR instead. (if its any consolation, they replied the same day I contacted them). So I will next write to the nearest GNR office.

The issue I want to report is actually near where I work in central Lisbon. For over a year now I walk past the same spot - along the exclusive Avenida de Liberdade with all those fancy shops (Hugo Boss, Massimo Dutti etc). Right outside one such shop are a pair of dogs chained all day to a fire hydrant. Quite apart from violating fire regulations, the dogs are left there from 08:30 AM - when I walk past them to go to work - and they are still there, tied to the same spot by chains at 18:30 when I go home. Last Friday I left at 21h (late meeting!) - and they were STILL tied there! They endure the hot sun. There is an upturned hat nearby where presumably people are supposed to throw money into. I have never once seen the owner. Tourist walk past - sometimes showing pity, sometimes even offering a treat. But I want to report it. Its been over a year now. I have taken photos during the morning and evening.

The dogs don't appear to be in poor health, or otherwise mistreated. But the thought of being chained all day, every day for up to 16 hours, with the intent of luring money into the hat is unacceptable.
This is a unbelievable & unacceptable situation, there are PSP Police all over the place in that area , as it's a favourite place for "pick pockets" to operate !
Why have they not picked up on it!

As this is taking place in a "urban area" you will have to get in contact with the PSP - It's out off the GNR's jurisdiction.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
This is a unbelievable & unacceptable situation, there are PSP Police all over the place in that area , as it's a favourite place for "pick pockets" to operate !
Why have they not picked up on it!

As this is taking place in a "urban area" you will have to get in contact with the PSP - It's out off the GNR's jurisdiction.
Yes in Lisbon and other large cities, the PSP are the Police Force with the necessary jurisdiction.

Interestingly, just seen this:

Câmara Municipal de Lisboa (via noodls) / Abandono de Animais é Crime!

Looks like you might be able to cut to the chase with the new initiative by emailing:

[email protected]

I do, however, suggest you do email in Portuguese and attach photos of the hounds and their location.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert
Yes in Lisbon and other large cities, the PSP are the Police Force with the necessary jurisdiction.

Interestingly, just seen this:

Câmara Municipal de Lisboa (via noodls) / Abandono de Animais é Crime!

Looks like you might be able to cut to the chase with the new initiative by emailing:

[email protected]

I do, however, suggest you do email in Portuguese and attach photos of the hounds and their location.
Thank you! Definitely going to follow up on this lead. I did sent an e-mail to the "Ambiente" section of the GNR (where "animais maltrato") was mentioned - but haven't heard anything back yet.

I already have the text translated into Portuguese + accompanying photos - taken during the morning and evening.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Keep us posted!

Woof!
Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

UPDATE:

We received a reply from COMETLIS - Projecto Defesa Animal.

They said that on the 4th August, their team went to investigate our claim. They found that:

1. The dogs were in good health
2. Both dogs were already registered/licensed and chipped
3. They had access to water and food during the day
4. The owner lived in an apartment nearby and frequently checked on the dogs.
5. Therefore no further action will be taken.

OK - assuming they really did do the check-up. They missed the point: First - that the dogs are chained to a fire hydrant all day. Secondly, the fact that they are chained to a FIRE HYDRANT which must be kept clear at all times!! And finally - the fact that the owner has an upturned hat there where he pockets the coins that passers by thrown - in other words- he uses (chains!) the dogs to make money.

Its going to take a long, long time for health & safety and animal welfare to be taken more seriously in Portugal.

I did what I could. Still feel sorry for the dogs - they should be running and jumping in open spaces - not chained up to make money for their owner.