British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   road tax and lpg (autogas) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/road-tax-lpg-autogas-906450/)

dingg Dec 1st 2017 5:58 pm

road tax and lpg (autogas)

when we come to portugal we shall be bringing our car , I know the matriculation process can be somewhat arduous , one question though our car is converted to run on lpg will this cause any issue with the matriculation process , and does it mean it will be subject to a cheaper road tax cost?

also the car has adjustable headlamps to stop glare when used on the 'wrong' side of road will this be okay with some headlight adjustment for matriculation or MUST the headlights be swapped?

4.2 range rover gas guzzler for info.

tia

Red Eric Dec 1st 2017 8:06 pm

Re: road tax and lpg (autogas)

I can answer one of those questions for you - no, you won't benefit from any reduction in the annual circulation tax because you've adapted the car for LPG use. It's calculated on the original fuel type, capacity and emissions as the car retains the potential to use that fuel.

Cars sold as LPG fuel use only do benefit from lower annual tax, though.

gedscottish Dec 7th 2017 10:09 am

Originally Posted by dingg (Post 12392553)
when we come to portugal we shall be bringing our car , I know the matriculation process can be somewhat arduous , one question though our car is converted to run on lpg will this cause any issue with the matriculation process , and does it mean it will be subject to a cheaper road tax cost?

also the car has adjustable headlamps to stop glare when used on the 'wrong' side of road will this be okay with some headlight adjustment for matriculation or MUST the headlights be swapped?

4.2 range rover gas guzzler for info.

tia

Road tax will be 700€ and upwards for sure. I take it you are importing and avoiding the ISV tax(importing tax free)?

dingg Dec 7th 2017 10:45 am

Originally Posted by gedscottish (Post 12395313)
Road tax will be 700€ and upwards for sure. I take it you are importing and avoiding the ISV tax(importing tax free)?

Hi Ged
Thats the plan , I pay around 520gbp I think at the minute , re matriculation test will I definitely need lhd headlights fitted as currently they are active headlights that follow the road as you turn and have a lever that controls a shutter for driving on the continent , will this pass the test , if not I may need to buy or hopefully borrow a set of lhd headlights to get through the test

Cheers

peterfc Dec 7th 2017 11:53 am

Originally Posted by dingg (Post 12392553)
when we come to portugal we shall be bringing our car , I know the matriculation process can be somewhat arduous ,
tia

Hi Tia

First where about will you be staying, i ask because some areas are more of a problem. Here in Central Portugal the Matriculation when i did my car to a day to get done. Don't be put of by the horror stories you here it's quite easy to do and if i can Matriculate a car anybody can

I also have a GPL car and at test it was no problem.

Good look

mfesharne Dec 7th 2017 12:16 pm

The matriculation/emissions test is done on the original fuel not on LPG & you can calculate the various costs by using the simulator here: ARAN Notícias

Do you know the matriculation process/requirements?

gedscottish Dec 13th 2017 10:42 am

Originally Posted by dingg (Post 12395327)
Hi Ged
Thats the plan , I pay around 520gbp I think at the minute , re matriculation test will I definitely need lhd headlights fitted as currently they are active headlights that follow the road as you turn and have a lever that controls a shutter for driving on the continent , will this pass the test , if not I may need to buy or hopefully borrow a set of lhd headlights to get through the test

Cheers

You may get through the test with that lever, I know it's enough for some cars. Perhaps you could ask a test centre to check them before you go for the actual inspection? (probably not the same test centre that's going to do the inspection for import. p.s they sound like expensive headlamps! :eek:

dingg Dec 13th 2017 9:53 pm

To Peter , most likely central portugal but still nothing confirmed yet

to ged pair of headlights new about £1200-1400 second hand 300 each , so yes they're not cheap :(