Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The 'Come on' market [Aljezur]

The 'Come on' market [Aljezur]

Old Dec 14th 2017, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default The 'Come on' market [Aljezur]

I was talking to a german lady, long time resident of Aljezur, about the Christmas market held there last week.
I said I'd heard it was mostly Germans; I never went as the timing doesn't coincide with mine. I go shopping in Aljezur in the morning and they start at noon.

Anyway, she told me yes, it is pretty much German but the locals call in the "Comon" market.
She was upset about the label, considering it discriminatory.

After 9 years here, I've only now learned that the slang for outsiders is "comon" people.
It seems that this is [was] the most heard phrase spoken by English visitors to each other; "Come on..."

My friend is upset because the phrase usage doesn't refer to English people only, but all foreigners, resident or otherwise.

I think it's just funny.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 10:57 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 'Come on' market [Aljezur]

It's "camone" in Portuguese. I find it amusing and friendly, rather than insulting, too.

Mainly used to refer to English-speakers, though I think it's the Yanks who are more prone to using the phrase habitually, isn't it?

The French are known as "avecs" round here. Brits specifically are "bifes".

Last edited by Red Eric; Dec 14th 2017 at 11:01 am.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

rollermum83 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The 'Come on' market [Aljezur]

I heard it came from Brits saying to their lagging behind children "come on" come on and the Portuguese nick named us comeons after that. Which is quite endearing 😎😎