Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Right hand drive to left hand drive conversion.

Right hand drive to left hand drive conversion.

Old May 19th 2014, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right hand drive to left hand drive conversion.

EMR in post #4 you write…

"Remember that your " old " vehicle will be taxed as if it was new, so high CO2 etc will cost you in road tax"

This has been mentioned a few times on here, I've looked at this IUC calculator and the only age related part of the calculation appears to be the multiplication coefficient.

http://impostosobreveiculos.info/tab...de-circulacao/

Is this what you are referring to?

For example the tax on a 1.6L Peugeot 207 first registered in 2007 would be:
56.50 + 86.55 = 143.05

But if it was matriculated in 2010 theres a coefficient of 1.15 added:

143.05 × 1.15 = 164.50

That's not so bad, an extra €21.45 a year. Or am I missing something else?

Alice.
Old May 19th 2014, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Alice

When you register a car here, they count the year of manufacture as the year it was registered here not the year it was actually made.

For example, I imported my 1982 Jeep in 2012 & it was taxed as a new car despite being 30 years old.
Old May 19th 2014, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that mfresharne, many have commented on it in car threads. But to me they seem to be implying that it's a scarily large increase in tax. All I can find on the Tax calculator site relevant to car age is this bit…

This vehicle class B, enrolled from July 1, 2007, in order to not harm older vehicles, there is a way to distinguish the vehicles depending on the year. 
This is achieved by applying a coefficient, obtained by and year of purchase according to the following table.

Year of acquisition Coefficient
2007 1.00
2008 1.05
2009 1.10
2010 and following 1.15

To calculate the amount payable will: add a portion of the cylinder to the portion of emissions and then multiply that result by the number in the table above under the year of the car.

….So worse case scenario is that you have a car first registered in 2007 which you then matriculate in 2015 you pay 1.15 times more road tax for it. That's not so bad. So I was wondering if there was something else that I was missing?

I've seen the picture you once posted of your Jeep - nice car

Alice.

ps: think I realise what EMR is saying now. Older cars have high CO2 emmissions. Pre 2007 cars aren't taxed on emmissions, but if you have a pre 2007 car with the usual high emmissions it will be treated as a 2014 car and taxed on those high emmissions, that will cost alot. Didn't look at it like that as we'd be unlikely to be taking a car that old.

Last edited by AliceCaroline; May 19th 2014 at 8:52 pm. Reason: Think I realise what EMR was saying now.
Old May 19th 2014, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know enough about it to advise you if your sums are correct but the road tax on a 1.6 engine will probably be fairly reasonable - Mine has a 5.7 litre engine so was €773 a year & I was helluva glad to get the tax exemption from the ACP Classicos!

Glad you like my Jeep......... I love it to bits but unfortunately, my wife hates it with a passion! LOL

Last edited by mfesharne; May 19th 2014 at 9:16 pm.
Old May 19th 2014, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

On the road tax, anyone else noticed a big hike on diesel cars? Our 2008(2011 registered) focus 1.6 diesel went up from 140 to 174 euros! While our 2004 2.0 tdi VW Golf jumped up from 45 to 65! The finanças are pure barstewards!
Old May 19th 2014, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm getting all my figures from the link I posted earlier.

I think it's the official site.

Google Chrome auto translates it, and it reads pretty well for a translation.

I also used this site to pick a random car and see it's omissions…

http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/

I think your Jeep is ace mfesharne, but we are after something a little bit smaller, lol.

Ged, this is what the site says about diesel engines (not good to have a big one)...

Additional fee (add to the total in the previous tables) to be charged on all passenger cars with diesel enrollment from July 1, 2007 (inclusive)

Displacement
Up to 1250 cm3 5.02€
Over 1,250 cm3 to 1,750 cm3 10.07€
Over 1,750 cm3 to 2,500 cm3 20.12€
Over 2,500 cm3 68.85€

Alice.
Old May 19th 2014, 9:07 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Just catching up with the UK, diesel is a dirty fuel high in pollutants and particulates.
Old May 19th 2014, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EMR
Just catching up with the UK, diesel is a dirty fuel high in pollutants and particulates.
I agree and it's crazy that we have been pushed towards diesels. Diesels have came on leaps and bounds and a modern diesel will put most equivalent petrol models to shame performance wise, then there is the MPG! I always said I would never buy a diesel... now I have two!

A recent survey showed just how unhealthy diesel is, the ideal situation would be for them now to lower taxes on petrol cars, but you already know all they will do is push the price of diesel fuel/taxes up!
Old May 21st 2014, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Ged

I've never actually seen a CoC........ do they just detail the spec of that model of vehicle or do they apply to one exact vehicle.

If it's just the spec of one particular model of car, the sales brochure usually does that & most if not all are available FOC online.

I had a look at a CoC yesterday(that just sounds so wrong to say) and I can confirm that it is indeed pacific to that acutal vehicle(chassis number & engine numbers). You were very lucky mate!
Old May 21st 2014, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ged

But does it need to be specific to the individual vehicle or do they just require the tech spec of the type of vehicle?

There must be an awful lot of cars that simply don't come with CoCs because they're made for the non European market or were made before the CoCs were introduced.

Come to that, my particular car has an AMC360 engine & although they made an immense number of them, not a single one was ever stamped with a serial number. LOL
Old May 21st 2014, 2:54 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

A friend who imported a Canadian spec vehicle had a nightmare with the COC and lack of vehicle ID marks on the bodywork and engine.
The matriculation process too almost 12 months and cost a bundle,
The final blow was to discover the annual tax was almost 600 euros.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Djacapony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Was interested so had a quick google, what I found was mainly negative(botched conversions,it's for old model,expensive and lots of hassle)

Did find someone detailing what needs done and this sounds like way too much work and you will probably end up with a problem car:

To complete the task you need from LHD the following:
- steering rack
- wiper mechanism (RHD mechanism can be switched to the other side but you have to modify the mounts)
- heater matrix pipe (the one that connects the heather matrix to the exterior)
- brake pipes
- power steering hoses (the LHD hoses are longer by abt 44 cm than RHD ones, so if you know a shop that will apply the metal pipes from the end of the hose to a longer one will be cheaper)
You'll need about 1 - 3 (pending on the availability of the spares) weeks to complete the job but and it's not too difficult, but you'll have to find a good mechanic.
I had to do the following in order to make the change:
1. dismantle the dashboard and everething that goes underneath it, including the heather matrix, until you get to the firewall.
2. next you'll have to dismantle the mounts from all three pedals and steering column using a special miller (don't know it's exact name in english), in order not to drill holes in the firewall.
3. cut holes on the left side of the car, symetrical from the ones on the right.
3.1 you'll have to begin cutting the holes starting with the brakes because they are pre-stamped by the factory on the firewall, thus it will be much easier to align the rest of the pedals (actualy the brakes and throttle are on the same mount and the clutche is separate, but they are connected)
3.2 whe re-welding all the mounts do not use a welding machine with open flame but a CO2 welding machine, because the last one will only generate a small amount of heat only where it is needed and it will not overheat the entire surface, causing the firewall to modify it's architecture.
3.3 the steering column mount cannot be used entierly, but it has to be cut in two because it is specialy made to be mounted underneath the front window, so you'll not be able to use a small part of about 20 cm
4. mount the steeering rack and the pedals / pumps, hoses and pipes
5. heater matrix has to be modified: take the fan and move it on the othe side of the heater, and the pipe adapter for exterior air on the side where the fan used to be (remember to change the polarity of the wires that power the fan in order for the matrix to blow air inside, not outside)
6. for the electrical there are a few options you can try:
6.1 (the one i consider easiest) leave the fuse box on the right side and extend the wires from the instrument cluster, headlight / wiper switches, brake pump, wiper mechanism by about 1 meter (there are about 100 wires to be extended), then route the new wires on top of the ones thet already exist from right to left (disadvantages: glove box has to remain on the left side)
6.2 take out all the wires and isolation from them and find a way to route all the wires through the left side, but most probably youl have to extend many wires as well considering that the abs pump, a computer wich i don't know it's functionality, headlights are situated on the right side are also connected to the fuse box (disadvantages: considering al the front electrical has to be re-routed wire by wire and at the same time extended most probably you'll forget somenthing).

Pls, does anyone know the contact details of a mechanic that can do a good job on a conversion pls?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Jessel is on a distinguished road

There are currently 35 Landrover Freelander's for sale on Standvirtual - O N�1 em Carros Usados, Carros Baratos,
all but two are under 5.000€. All Portuguese national cars so little or no rust (no salt used here) and all left-hand drive. some with as little as 90.000km on the clock.