Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Retrieving Tax Return Form

Retrieving Tax Return Form

Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

john2nort is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retrieving Tax Return Form

Hello, in September 2017 I became an NHR tax resident here in Palmela, Portugal and need to fill a tax return form. I am registered on the Portal das Financas website. Can anyone, step by step, go through the stages of retrieving one from the log-in page, and any tips on how to complete it. My only income is from two pensions obtained from within the UK. No other income either from within Portugal or foreign. Thank you. Mick
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retrieving Tax Return Form

https://irs.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt...regaIRS.action

You will need to submit your return, I think, in April or May.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Richard. Tried the site, and like everything I have tried, 2017 is not an option. Does this mean the form is not available just now for last year?
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

It's not available yet as you cannot submit it before April anyway.

You're well ahead of the game as this year all IRS returns must be submitted online - no doubt many will have a problem at the end of May when they discover that and realise they're not registered or have forgotten their passwords for the Portal das Finanças. See here.

Those who thought they were familiar with the Portal should also see here for some details of the newly re-arranged Portal das Finanças.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Richard. I will wait a little longer.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default No obligation to file a Tax Return

I went to a certified accountant/tax advisor and I wanted to know if they could file a tax return for me, as I became resident last year (RNH).
I receive 2 different types of income:
rental income from a house in France and interest on savings in the EU.

Answer: if you don't have any other categorie of income, you don't (need to) file a tax return.
As soon as I have another type of income, they will tell me if it is necessary to do so.

This was completely new to me!
Old Apr 4th 2018, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No obligation to file a Tax Return

Originally Posted by Pilou
I went to a certified accountant/tax advisor and I wanted to know if they could file a tax return for me, as I became resident last year (RNH).

Answer: if you don't have any other categorie of income, you don't (need to) file a tax return.
As soon as I have another type of income, they will tell me if it is necessary to do so.

I'm 99.9% sure you've been given incorrect information (and the other 0.1% is wishful thinking!). We are in pretty much the same situation as you. We became tax resident with NHR/RNH status in 2016 so had to file our first tax return last year with the same income categories as you - categoria F rental income and categoria E savings account interest, both from the UK. No income from Portugal. NHR does not exempt one from filing a tax return; it is for AT/Finanças to apply the appropriate exemptions when calculating your tax bill, which by the sounds of it would be zero in your case, but it is not for you to decide. Certainly Finanças and our accountant weren't confused as to why we filed a return last year.
Sounds like your advisor is not quite clear on NHR.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

DiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the same situation as you Mac and Mabel, now explored the AT/Finanças and filled the draft of my tax return.
As I understand it, I have to fill Anexo J (adding UK property in section 7) and Anexo L (empty, but with "Método de isenção" selected in section 6)
No any interests on savings accounts.

I didn't find any FAQ for this quite standard NHR situation. Did you use any adviser or just fill it yourself?
Can you share your experience?
Old Apr 11th 2018, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: No obligation to file a Tax Return

Originally Posted by Pilou

I asked to put this in writing!
She did and wrote after looking into the tax treaty, she found out I need to file a tax return!
Ridiculous, you cannot find the answer in a tax treaty, this answer can be found in Portuguese tax law.

Of course I won't ask this high qualified accountant to file my tax return!!!
Old Apr 11th 2018, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DiDAN
I'm in the same situation as you Mac and Mabel, now explored the AT/Finanças and filled the draft of my tax return.
As I understand it, I have to fill Anexo J (adding UK property in section 7) and Anexo L (empty, but with "Método de isenção" selected in section 6)

I didn't find any FAQ for this quite standard NHR situation. Did you use any adviser or just fill it yourself?
Maybe you can do it yourself or ask the tax authorities to do it for you.
I was thinking of this last option, but the problem is that when the tax authorities contact me later on, I have a language problem.
So for me it is important to pay a professional who will do the job and who will communicate with the tax authorities if necessary.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I have done and submitted it so sat with site issued "Prova de Entrega" .
What's the famous comedy sketch "Same procedure as every year James"
Old Apr 13th 2018, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

We use an accountant to file our PT tax return but I have seen the relevant parts. Sounds like you've completed it correctly - Anexo J, categoria F (foreign-sourced rental income) and categoria E if appropriate (foreign-sourced savings interest) and then Anexo L, choosing exemption method. That's about it, I think.