Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Retiring to Portugal - from The Netherlands

Retiring to Portugal - from The Netherlands

Old Jul 16th 2017, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Portugal - from The Netherlands

No not Dutch Roddski! British.Just worked there for over 30 yrs
Old Jul 17th 2017, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Roddski,

This is GeniB,s OH

No we are English.
Yes you have to leave you compulsory private insurance BUT you are also paying social security, health and pension cover deductions to the State.

When you tell them you have left the country , you can choose UK or NL to provide the coverage of state health cover in Portugal and the deductions will be made directly from your pension(s). I suggested choosing the NL deductions because its not affected by Brexit.
This has nothing to do with your private health insurance which will terminate

We applied and receive pensions gross from NL so why not you?
Old Jul 20th 2017, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Roddski is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi GeniB,

Ah..OK so you lived here as well, presumably your situation is no different to ours.
Good to understand that you receive your pension payments gross, It provides some comfort.. Question is will this change under Brexit, I know it should not if the UK honours the committments but will they...no need to answer the unanswerable :-)

Also If I retain my UK passport will the Dutch authorities still deduct state healthcover. I thought perhaps the Portuguese tax authorities would/could do that, and once more that relies upon the outcome of the Brexit negotiations.

Thanks for your practical help, it's easier to understand from people that have also been through the experience than just reading lots of different website pages..

Rgds
John