Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Requirement for fiscal representative

Requirement for fiscal representative

Old Nov 16th 2017, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Ayshea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Requirement for fiscal representative

We recently registered for a license to rent our Algarve property to holiday makers. Until then, we had paid our annual IMI council tax rates bill ourselves using the online facility of our Portuguese bank account.
The accountant we appointed informed us that we were required to nominate a fiscal representative in order to proceed with the registration of the property license. She has taken on this role and is now charging us €125 each time she sends us the council tax bill. Very frustrating!
Does anyone know why our change of circumstances requires us to now employ the services of a fiscal rep?
Old Nov 16th 2017, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Requirement for fiscal representative

I assume you are also non-resident.

I am registered for AL, a business activity under the simplified regime and for IVA and do not have a Fiscal Representative (or TOC (Técnico de Contas)) in Portugal, so it seems the need is not automatic.

However it does depend on your particular circumstances whether a Fiscal Representative might be required. Are you an EU citizen/resident? Is your property owned personally or by a company? Are you expecting your professional advisers to interact on your behalf with the authorities, as this may require them to hold a formal mandate that is recognised by those authorities (such as appointment as FR, TOC or a Power of Attorney)?
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:47 am
Just Joined

wales21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe since 2011 you were no longer required to have a fiscal rep (if EU resident) BUT, be aware, rogue companies are assuming fiscal rep status!! I have just received a bill for €12000 for 8 years of fiscal representation I never knew existed after cancelling my previous FR that I will now have to fight.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Either you appointed them or you didn't. You can check here.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Apparently they are my fiscal rep, they say they assumed it from the company I appointed in 2009 (and cancelled in writing in 2011). As fiscal is not normally €900 per year and you don't wait 8 years to bill someone, I think it can be safely assumed they are crooks. As the law changed in 2011 I think there will be a number of other targets.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

And yes €125 per bill seems high, those I have spoke to are paying between €100-€200 euro per year for FR although I'm not sure if this includes paying your IMI bill, you can do this yourself - as I have for the past 8 years.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

We had to go to the Financas in person to cancel the appointment of our Fiscal Rep as I was told by her that she couldn't cancel it herself. I assume the same applies if you appoint a company to act for you. AFAIK a FR is appointed indefinitely until cancelled.

€900 per year does seem expensive but you may have (been) signed up for other services too like paying IMI, tax returns etc.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

I file my own tax return in the UK and pay my own IMI tax. Their service did not even extend to letting me know they exist. The last fiscal bill I paid was €300. They reduced their prices and the last quote I had was €180 pa. My mistake was not going to the Fincas to cancel as I was not aware you had to. Beware.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

robbie20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it possible for you to tell us who this company are that have now said you need to pay this large sum of money ? Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2018, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Premila1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ayshea
We recently registered for a license to rent our Algarve property to holiday makers. Until then, we had paid our annual IMI council tax rates bill ourselves using the online facility of our Portuguese bank account.
The accountant we appointed informed us that we were required to nominate a fiscal representative in order to proceed with the registration of the property license. She has taken on this role and is now charging us €125 each time she sends us the council tax bill. Very frustrating!
Does anyone know why our cphange of circumstances requires us to now employ the services of a fiscal rep?
can we have reply to above question please
Old Mar 4th 2018, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Premila1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has any one filled in their own tax returns in Portugal. Can we have access to these tax returns translated in English. I also find frustrating having to pay over 350 euros for sole traders tax calculation which does not justify in paying this amount.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes. No. I would too.