Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Renting apartment in Porto

Renting apartment in Porto

Old Sep 1st 2017, 6:19 am
Just Joined

jayteeuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting apartment in Porto

I am planning to move to Porto from the UK but do not speak Portuguese yet. I need to find a residential letting agent in Porto who speaks English. Can anyone suggest a name and website? Thanks!
Old Sep 1st 2017, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Re: Renting apartment in Porto

I do not know of any member of this forum that lives in Porto. It is now the ideal time to find long term rentals as more "For Rent" signs are appearing on apartments in Porto.
I also intend to relocate from Viana do Castelo to Porto as I love the place and it has become my second home. Just arrived back last night so can't give you names of agencies as I use airbnb. Try these:
casa.sapo.pt
custojusto.pt
olx.pt
Old Sep 1st 2017, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. I will give them a try.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jayteeuk
I am planning to move to Porto from the UK but do not speak Portuguese yet. I need to find a residential letting agent in Porto who speaks English. Can anyone suggest a name and website? Thanks!
From what Ive read on a Porto Expats group on facebook, it's not easy, a hell of a lot of demand with so many tourists many apartments are now for short term to suit tourists. Do you use facebook? If so try posting here or searching the group for previous posts:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/990684787655207/
Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gedscottish
From what Ive read on a Porto Expats group on facebook, it's not easy, a hell of a lot of demand with so many tourists many apartments are now for short term to suit tourists. Do you use facebook? If so try posting here or searching the group for previous posts:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/990684787655207/
Thank you. I don't use Facebook but I think I will have to join and check-out your suggestion. Thanks again.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

There are currently 250 properties in Porto for rent listed on Idealista here. https://www.idealista.pt/arrendar-casas/porto/mapa

Almost everybody in Porto will speak basic English, most have fluent English, and are more than happy to communicate in English. Every estate agent worth their salt will certainly speak English.

Personally, I have cut agents out of the equation. They all seem to be egoists who believe they are some sort of local hero simply for being able to use Idealista.pt and passing phone numbers on for equivalent to a months rent (minimum) as a fee.

Just use the phone and speak English. If they don't understand, just apologise and ring off.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 11:09 am
Just Joined

To The Lost Photographer
Thank you for what is clearly sound advice. I had already found the Idealista site but did not appreciate that landlords use the site and that one can therefore go direct and cut out the middle-person. You say that you have cut agents out of the equation. Are you currently living in Portugal? If so would appreciate any further useful tips. I know that even if a find a suitable apartment on Idealista (and there are a number that I like) I will have to go to Porto in the next six months or so and do the groundwork before approaching potential landlords. I also have to meet my solicitor over in Porto to organise my NHR permit and get help with all the other necessary administrative documents and registrations that need to be done. Once again thank you for taking the time to help.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

I found the rentals on that site to be extremely high almost as much as holiday rentals. They must be short term.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

To The Lost Photographer
Thank you for what is clearly sound advice...
I am new to Portugal. Have been based in Spain for many years, but always travelling. I spent the summer hiking around Portugal with a plan to find a new base where I could make things work for me the way I would like them to work. So, I will be dealing with all the legal stuff as a beginner like yourself.

New to Portugal, but walking the length of the entire country meant I met many, many people. Incredibly friendly, relaxed, gentle people. Could hardly believe I was still in Europe. Extremely helpful also.

I will be based some distance from Porto. However, I have friends there who have established themselves, will probably work weekends there, and will almost certainly meet clients there. It is a fabulous little city.

Pretty sure I will post here in the future with all I learn. Can't really offer anything more right now. I am very much a believer in knowledge sharing so, I will be hanging around.

Good luck.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again. Good luck to you in your travels. If I can post any useful hints myself as I make this journey I will.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

To Ukkram
Thanks for your post. I have been on the site and found 3-bed apartment properties there renting for 800-900 euros per month which was what I was expecting to pay. Is that expensive for Portugal city centre?
Old Sep 10th 2017, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

To Ukkram
Thanks for your post. I have been on the site and found 3-bed apartment properties there renting for 800-900 euros per month which was what I was expecting to pay. Is that expensive for Portugal city centre?
When you say "city center" I presume you talking about Sao Bento area then that would be correct. If I were younger I would go for that area but I'm not fit enough to climb the steep roads back from the scenic river area.

Matosinhos South is my preferred parish as its flat and has great beaches. A bit less expensive than Sao Bento.

A cheaper area is Paranhos. It has everything you need. I lived there for 2 months. It is a very vibey student suburb with the only oncology hospital in the north plus the massive Sao Joao hospital.

If you live near a metro station then you would not need a car as they run every 5 minutes to almost everywhere and you will get there quicker than by car.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Afrique is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am in Porto. The rents have gone a bit mad here in the last two years, mainly because of the tourists. You would be better looking out of the city, in Vila Nova de Gaia.
It is on the metro line and appears cheaper at the moment. It is a larger area than Porto too.( and houses the famous Port wine house too)
If I can assist in any way just shout.
:-)
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:13 am
Just Joined

To Ukkram
Thank you for your response which is most helpful. I looked up the three locations that you mentioned. Sao Bento seems a way out east (I am looking inside the Cintura Interna). Matosinhos South and Paranhos seem likely areas. But the only way to be sure is to visit Porto. Given that I am wary of rushing into signing a rental lease contract which I probably won't understand I am leaning towards finding a suitable room on Airbnb so that I can spend 2 or 3 months looking around and getting acclimatised before renting a flat. I have found something that seems to fit my requirements which is located close to the Casa da Musical. That's my idea of city-centre. Thanks again for your help. Will be in touch later as things progress and will welcome your input and advice if not too much trouble.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:34 am
Just Joined

To Afrique
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have looked up Vila nova de Gaia and can see that it is just south of the Doro, which certainly looks a possible area. As I have explained to another respondent I think initially it makes sense to use Airbnb for the first few months so that I can go and see all these likely locations and then make up my mind. May I be a little impertinent and ask if you rent in Porto and if so are the lease contracts written in Portuguese (I would assume so) and did you have a problem understanding your lease or do you speak Portuguese? Thanks again for your helpful input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.