British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   A reliable bank with internet banking ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/reliable-bank-internet-banking-904132/)

Pilou Oct 4th 2017 12:32 pm

A reliable bank with internet banking ?

Hi,

In 3 weeks time we will arrive in Portugal. We need to open a bank account with internet banking possibility. What bank did you choose and why? Is there a big difference in charges?

Thanks !

EMR Oct 4th 2017 12:37 pm

Re: A reliable bank with internet banking ?

Originally Posted by Pilou (Post 12353428)
Hi,

In 3 weeks time we will arrive in Portugal. We need to open a bank account with internet banking possibility. What bank did you choose and why? Is there a big difference in charges?

Thanks !

We chose Santander, site easy to navigate, very good staff in the Albufeira and Carvoeiro branches.

Pilou Oct 4th 2017 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12353434)
We chose Santander, site easy to navigate, very good staff in the Albufeira and Carvoeiro branches.

Thanks!

bejaboz Oct 4th 2017 12:53 pm

Hi,

Thanks !

If you want a Portuguese bank, any of the large well established ones offer online banking, but if you also need to use a branch, the branches in smaller towns are often short on English speaking staff.

Pilou Oct 4th 2017 12:59 pm

We would like to have the possibility to speak english, german or french ..... We will learn Portuguese, but that will take some time ........

Loafing Along Oct 4th 2017 1:05 pm

Hi,

Thanks !

Novo Banco offers an excellent web site, in english if you want and a good mobile App. Service generally very efficient, our local branch has english-speaking managers . Charges around €2,50.- a month depending on type of account . Full range of credit and debit cards.
Were recommended as they are trying hard to perform in view of historic problems.
So far pleased.

Tonyj Oct 4th 2017 1:45 pm

Most of them seem to realise the expat market is a lucrative one and have good English language websites and mobile apps.

We use Millenium and find the site very user-friendly. It also has an excellent money transfer system where we can pay into a UK NatWest Account linked to Millenium and the funds appear in our Portuguese account the next day with no transaction fee and virtually the market exchange rate. Significantly better than the transfer service we were using.

Jonny22 Oct 4th 2017 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Loafing Along (Post 12353458)
Novo Banco offers an excellent web site, in english if you want and a good mobile App. Service generally very efficient, our local branch has english-speaking managers . Charges around €2,50.- a month depending on type of account . Full range of credit and debit cards.
Were recommended as they are trying hard to perform in view of historic problems.
So far pleased.

Yes, we’ve been with them for many years. Despite the bad press have always had an excellent service in branch. Good exchange rates through London.

liveaboard Oct 4th 2017 6:41 pm

We use BPI; no complaints and they have an English web section.

Pilou Oct 4th 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks a lot for all your advices! This really helps.
I think this is a wonderful forum!!!

RichardHenshall Oct 4th 2017 7:11 pm

Novo Banco's online banking can be in English, French or Portuguese.

barlaventoexpert Oct 5th 2017 8:20 am

We've opened with BancoCTT.

Online banking and excellent branch networks in many local Post Offices.

Cherrypop Oct 7th 2017 8:22 am

I'm looking at the same thing. Some friends moved over in Feb and bank with Credito Agricola. They tell me it's the equivalent of a building society, that there are no charges and the online banking has an English option.

I'm certainly going to be looking at them as an option when I move over.

Mike Oct 7th 2017 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Cherrypop (Post 12355635)
I'm looking at the same thing. Some friends moved over in Feb and bank with Credito Agricola. They tell me it's the equivalent of a building society, that there are no charges and the online banking has an English option.

I'm certainly going to be looking at them as an option when I move over.

Just logged into my CA account. I cannot find a link to English for doing any transactions. The general website has an English bit. Also CA is not free! I am having a massive row about charges.

I cannot do everything in English using my Millennium account; from transfers, paying bills, tolls, taxes, etc to topping up Jogos Santa Casa account. Even the App is in English!

Each to their own.....

Cherrypop Oct 7th 2017 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 12355672)
Just logged into my CA account. I cannot find a link to English for doing any transactions. The general website has an English bit. Also CA is not free! I am having a massive row about charges.

I cannot do everything in English using my Millennium account; from transfers, paying bills, tolls, taxes, etc to topping up Jogos Santa Casa account. Even the App is in English!

Each to their own.....

I'll check with the friend that recommended them re: charges.

As for the English website, he had the same issue. He said he eventually found a 'EN' and 'PO' tab somewhere, clicked on the EN and viola!