British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Recommended Restaurants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/recommended-restaurants-534462/)

Supremegermalene May 5th 2008 5:19 pm

Recommended Restaurants

Following on from Aaron & Jo's post 'Right to be paid' I think it would be a good idea to have a post of where people recommend eating? A lot of us know from either living or working in a place how good the food really is, rather than just having tried it one night whilst on hols.

Are we allowed to do this or is it advertising before I start us off? :confused:

G

Suz2008 May 5th 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Recommended Restaurants

Hi

We should be able to do it as we have been recommending car hire on another thread.

Thanks
S:D

Cleri May 5th 2008 6:41 pm

Of course you can do it :thumbsup: as long as you dont own the place :sneaky::lol:

Supremegermalene May 5th 2008 8:43 pm

Well for all those near Lagos, I highly recommend a little place called Casinha do Petisco. For those of you that know the area it is up the road where the Irish Rover is on the bottom right corner. Have no idea what the road name is, I'm sorry. They are open lunch times and evenings only closing for about 2 hours to prepare for the evening shift. I have never seen anyone turned away and there are always queues of people trying to get in the door, mainly Portuguese which I take is a good sign? You can get a main meal for under 10 euros (well last year anyway) and I can guarantee it will be the best meal you have had for ages, providing you like garlic! :lol: It is one of those hidden secrets. Oh but the kitchen is open so no hidden secrets there...and did I mention the portions are HUGE

My other recommendations would be:

A new restaurant in Burgau on the corner before you turn down to the beach called a Esquina. Nice food, nice place, nice people! You get those garlic carrots and olives etc for starter. Mmmmmm.

Of course, the Ancora in Burgau for that special meal, I wouldn't go there for just a meal out as there is just so much food and it's rather spectacular but for an anniversary, birthday etc it's nice.

Another good restaurant is Bem Bom in Lagos, it is almost cafe type but huge, the food is dead cheap and they do lots of little snack things, but be warned it is very portuguese so you get things like pigs trotters and octopus etc. For those of you who want to be 'real' portuguese! Again the kitchens are open.

And no, I don't own these restaurants. :D

(bring back the Rocha Negra and Cataplana :-( my faves in Luz)

cavalierhome May 6th 2008 3:16 pm

Thank you for posting this. Being Portuguese I love our food but have never been to Lagos so I will make sure to try it the next time we travel to Europe.

Cheers

Suz2008 May 8th 2008 3:55 pm

My recommendation is 'O tiago' in Budens village near Parque de floresta. The are a small family run business. The restuarant doesn't look like much from the outside but don't let this put you off. Great value for money and the steak on the stone comes highly recommended.:thumbsup:

Another great one is Zavial on the sea front. On the way our to Vila do bispo. It is quite difficult to find though and they only take cash but the food is great. As you head down the N125 past Parque de Floresta when you get to Vila do Bispo there is a left hand turn at the traffic lights signposted Zavial Beach. Take that left turn and you will go down windy narrow roads, keep following the road to the coast the restaurant is not signposted.

One last one that we enjoy is O Celeiro one the main road near Espiche - a bit more expensive than the others but more fancy.

I don't recommend the Forte in Luz - great atmostphere, but over priced and we found a snail in our salad.

Will see if I can think of anymore.

Suz :thumbsup:

Supremegermalene May 8th 2008 4:12 pm

Oh yes I've had the stone meal..forgot about that place. Great if you are a meat lover, not so great if you aren't as there isn't much else apart from meat! Great atmosphere there though.

G

firstgreen May 10th 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks for these guys, keep them coming.

Our list of 'restaurants to try' is getting longer and longer (there are so many excellent ones) and the 'insider information' of which ones are good is very handy.

One of our favourites is No Patio in Lagos.

Magick May 13th 2008 11:37 am

I would definitely recommend a restaurant in Silves - sorry dont know the name - you follow the main road through Silves along the river and when you get to the turn off by the cemetary you turn left (if the castle is on your left) and then take a right and its down there. Its north of the castle.

Try the eels - totally amazing! :p

cavalierhome May 13th 2008 11:48 am

Any in the Quarteira or Vilamoura area?

brodev May 13th 2008 1:41 pm

One of the best meals I ever had was in Lemon Tree in Luz

gazz May 13th 2008 2:04 pm

i love the food in the Dolphin in luz:thumbsup:, and cafe de mar in lagos overlooking the sea, great views:thumbup:

moonandsixpence May 13th 2008 3:28 pm

Hi all

Anyone any good experiences in or around Vila Real De Santo Antonio or (dare I ask ) Ayamonte just over the border?

gazz May 13th 2008 3:31 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all

Anyone any good experiences in or around Vila Real De Santo Antonio or (dare I ask ) Ayamonte just over the border?

try a PM to "SameDifference" i,m sure she could help you;)

Same Difference May 14th 2008 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by gazz (Post 6344866)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all

try a PM to "SameDifference" i,m sure she could help you;)

I aint recommending any cos I want them all to myself! :rofl: