Televisions

Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

chriswoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Televisions

I am interested in buying a Sony television the models being KDL 40V4000 or, the KDL 40W4000. Does anyone know how much these are in Portugal? Was wondering if it might be cheaper to buy in the UK while I'm here. Is the guarantee on televisions worldwide?
Many thanks.
Chris
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

local is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Televisions

Here's the Sony Portugal link: http://www.sony.pt/PageView.do?site=odw_pt_PT if you want to see tv information, please click here: http://www.sony.pt/hub/bravia
For contact them, email to: [email protected]

Hope I could help.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Hiya

Tv's are about a third more expensive in Portugal than the uk, and from experience Portuguese return policies are not great however I don't know how it works on big name brands. Most tvs only come with a 1 year guarantee anyway so I don't think it matters buying it in the UK?

I bought my Panasonic TH42PX80 at John Lewis, got them to price match Sound & Vision in Bolton so got it much cheaper than their on shelf display price, took out their store card so got 6 months interest free credit so only paying £100 a month and they give their own 5 year guarantee (not Panasonic's own one) which is apparantly better than the manufacturer guarantee (m. guarantees only cover part breakdown), so maybe worth thinking about going down that route?

Check first though you can change the PAL settings to PAL G as if you want to view local tv you need to change the settings to get sound, otherwise you will only see the picture. If you will be using Sky or Freesat then you have no issues with PAL. Most modern TVs will have a method of getting into the factory settings so you can change them.

One thing you do need to keep in mind is you must keep your box for transport and ensure it remains upright as any bouncy roads if laid flat will wreck your screen. Don't worry too much about the transport though, don't forget a lot of these tvs come to the UK from Japan anyway...

If you want to look at electrical store websites Worten and Radio Popular both have websites I believe.

HTH
G

Last edited by Supremegermalene; Aug 12th 2008 at 8:59 am.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

chriswoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Hiya

Tv's are about a third more expensive in Portugal than the uk, and from experience Portuguese return policies are not great however I don't know how it works on big name brands. Most tvs only come with a 1 year guarantee anyway so I don't think it matters buying it in the UK?

I bought my Panasonic TH42PX80 at John Lewis, got them to price match Sound & Vision in Bolton so got it much cheaper than their on shelf display price, took out their store card so got 6 months interest free credit so only paying £100 a month and they give their own 5 year guarantee (not Panasonic's own one) which is apparantly better than the manufacturer guarantee (m. guarantees only cover part breakdown), so maybe worth thinking about going down that route?

Check first though you can change the PAL settings to PAL G as if you want to view local tv you need to change the settings to get sound, otherwise you will only see the picture. If you will be using Sky or Freesat then you have no issues with PAL. Most modern TVs will have a method of getting into the factory settings so you can change them.

One thing you do need to keep in mind is you must keep your box for transport and ensure it remains upright as any bouncy roads if laid flat will wreck your screen. Don't worry too much about the transport though, don't forget a lot of these tvs come to the UK from Japan anyway...

If you want to look at electrical store websites Worten and Radio Popular both have websites I believe.

HTH
G
Thanks for all your help.
Chris
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Algarveaddick is an unknown quantity at this point

All electrical goods in Portugal come with a two year guarantee by law. However if it does break down the shop can opt to send it for repair rather than replace it, and while it is being repaired you have to live without it. If they cannot repair it within 30 days, then they have to replace it.

Unless they are Conforama, who took about two months to repair our TV, and when we filled in the legendary "complaints book" all the authorities did was send us an acknowlegement... nothing was actually done about it.