Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Is it really that hot in the Algarve ?

Is it really that hot in the Algarve ?

Old Jul 17th 2017, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Re: Is it really that hot in the Algarve ?

We only had 2 days above 30 this summer in Viana do Castelo and today is 23 with low level clouds or is it a fog bank? No wind to blow it away.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 11:04 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

On the West coast, with the summers being cooler than the Algarve, what does that mean for the winter ?
Generally, I don't mind the heat ... it's the cold I hate with all my heart !

@ GeniB, I had my 13 years in Holland as well, first in Flushing and later on in Mijdrecht. Thank goodness, after that we left for Tanzania where I started to play golf (not allowed to work anymore ).
Old Jul 17th 2017, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

The west coast is cooler than the south in winter, but not by much.
Sunny mid-winter days are normally around 18C.
Overcast or rainy days drop to 10- 12C, and as low as 5 at night, occasionally even a light freeze.

The difference in summer is stark; 10C cooler at my place than on the southern coast is pretty normal.
I really, really enjoy the weather on the southwest coast. Year round.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 10:08 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
The west coast is cooler than the south in winter, but not by much.
Sunny mid-winter days are normally around 18C.
Overcast or rainy days drop to 10- 12C, and as low as 5 at night, occasionally even a light freeze.

The difference in summer is stark; 10C cooler at my place than on the southern coast is pretty normal.
I really, really enjoy the weather on the southwest coast. Year round.
Who wants stability? - around Christmas we had several nights just below zero (a friend saw -2 on his thermometer one day and said to himself "You are not in Germany now!" as he reset the minimum recording. The next day it showed -3!!!) Now we've only had a couple of days above 40, so you just can't rely on cooking the eggs on the patio.......

Welcome to life in the Serra