Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Is it really that hot in the Algarve ?

Is it really that hot in the Algarve ?

Old Jul 16th 2017, 7:31 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it really that hot in the Algarve ?

I am considering moving to Portugal from the Var (Provence).

The last few weeks I have been comparing temperatures between Faro and here since loads of people talk about ''the heat'' in the Algarve.
What amazes me is that, here the weather has been 32+ degrees and compared to the forecast for Faro about 4 or 5 degrees warmer !

At the moment here forecast 10 days 30 / 31 degrees +
Forecast Faro between 26 and 29 ???

How does it feel like where you are in Portugal ?
Old Jul 16th 2017, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really that hot in the Algarve ?

Hi Annetje We have been having extremely hot weather here off and on for at least the last month. Temps reached 44 deg in several places on one day in late June
It has been hovering around 34 deg here in Lagos for days now.Getting up to 39 deg twice The killer though has been the unusual accompanying high humidity. More like Spain than Portugal
It isn't normal for this Atlantic coast.Fortunately today the temps have dropped to 22 deg at 9 am.A cooler breeze is blowing...
Old Jul 16th 2017, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

38 here in inland north last few days, would love some coastal breeze right now!
Old Jul 16th 2017, 12:19 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for info, it seems I need to find another (more accurate) weather site

Amarante looks gorgeous ! And another +side : close to Porto !!!
I am (sort of) looking in that direction, only problem being that I love my golf and of course ''the south'' is the place to be !
Any way, hope to spent a few months in Portugal, trying out some different areas next winter. Looking for 3 monthly rentals at the moment.

Here in France very warm summer as well. It now starts to cool down a bit at night, so I might get some sleep in.

Last edited by Annetje; Jul 16th 2017 at 12:20 pm. Reason: Spelling (again)
Old Jul 16th 2017, 12:30 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje

I am (sort of) looking in that direction, only problem being that I love my golf and of course ''the south'' is the place to be !
Any way, hope to spent a few months in Portugal, trying out some different areas next winter. Looking for 3 monthly rentals at the moment.

Here in France very warm summer as well. It now starts to cool down a bit at night, so I might get some sleep in.
If you are looking for better value golf head for the Algarve in Jan as prices rocket in Feb , March.
We play as much as we can in the " off season ".
Algarve weather in the winter is obviously much better than further North or inland.
We spent most of the daytime in June living like our Portuguese neighbours, shutters closed and eating outside in the shade.
Aircon on for a few hours at night.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 1:38 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

How does it feel like where you are in Portugal ?
Old Jul 16th 2017, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

As it happens Amarante has a lovely course, I don't play so I can't say if it's good to play on but certainly beautify to look at from the club bar as my 10 year old gets his lessons! Maybe he could get you on if you're ever in town. Give the course a Google
Old Jul 16th 2017, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Here on the west coast, 24C today.
It's not always perfect; it was hot for a week, in the 30's. But now back to our usual cool Atlantic breeze.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 6:27 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Old Jul 16th 2017, 6:34 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Here on the west coast, 24C today.
It's not always perfect; it was hot for a week, in the 30's. But now back to our usual cool Atlantic breeze.
Ah, you are approaching my weather report
What an amazing difference with the Algarve ! You're easily talking 10 degrees here !

Like said, the west coast does interest me but, unlike the Algarve, I haven't been there really ... only a tasting of port on the way home from the Algarve ! And very nice it was.
May I ask whereabout you are ?
One thing I do not like, is towns. If I didn't have to do weekly shopping, I would never venture into anything bigger than a few thousand inhabitants !
Old Jul 16th 2017, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm north of Aljezur, 3km from the coast.
If you're within 5 km, you get the cool NW breeze most of the summer.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 7:25 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The weather in the Algarve itself is very variable, generally the further west you go the cooler and windier it is.
Lagos owes its reputation through history on the direction of the wind changing from off to onshore during the day allowing the trading vessels carrying goods to and from Africa to use it.
Our Algarve home is in a small town ( village size in the UK ) and share your views about towns and cities.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I monitor weather forecasts on 3 sites for the Algarve and none of them are accurate. The BBC and Portuguese Met Office sites are near the mark for Olhâo but usually forecast 2 degrees lower, whereas the Norwegian NY site is consistently forecasting 5 degrees lower than we get. Maximum daily temperature has been between 32 and 38 degrees this July, cooling to about 19 degrees during the night. Daytime humidity in the Olhâo area is approximately 12% which is very dry!
Old Jul 17th 2017, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Why more accurate ? Or do you mean more stable'

Weather is nuts everywhere in the world right now..All bets are off. Actually a little like it was in 1976 when they had that incredible hot summer .. from April to November..

Yeah a lady golfer like me... You you are a rare breed...

Good luck with your search. I swopped freezing cold and snowy winters in NL
in an attempt to play all year round golf. Only to find I can't play in these super high temp either.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

Here just south of Messines, Central Algarve, we have been between 28-35c, this past month, low humidity, Currently overcast and 22c.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.