Private Chef

Old Jan 4th 2018, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

farmhouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private Chef

Hello lady's and Gents,

Thanks for having me in the group firstly. Im moving to close to Faro in Feb.. Are there any Foodies or Chefs in the group?? In the near future i will post a link to my website, i am a British Chef with 15years experience at a high level. From starting young with Rick Stein in Padstow,to more recently the south of France, Thailand and London. Very keen to chat with fellow Chefs and foodies for knowledge, good contacts and sharing Tips and information.. Thanks for your time and have a great day..
Jonathan Cloake
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:32 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Chef

Originally Posted by farmhouse
Hello lady's and Gents,

Thanks for having me in the group firstly. Im moving to close to Faro in Feb.. Are there any Foodies or Chefs in the group?? In the near future i will post a link to my website, i am a British Chef with 15years experience at a high level. From starting young with Rick Stein in Padstow,to more recently the south of France, Thailand and London. Very keen to chat with fellow Chefs and foodies for knowledge, good contacts and sharing Tips and information.. Thanks for your time and have a great day..
Jonathan Cloake
There are a growing number of Michelin star restaurants and many very close to them.
Resorts such Quinta da Lago, Villamoura, villa sol , Val da Lobo are where I would start to look for contacts.
The vast majority of restaurants in the algarve serve the mass tourist market where price rules, menus are almost identical and quality average to say the least.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you kindly, i didnt want to use the word 'Mitchelin', but i totally agree with you regarding the average quality of many of the buffet style places, which i am sure have there purpuse. I would like to aim at the sort of areas you mentioned. Thanks for the comments, very helpful. Jonathan
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:22 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you kindly, i didnt want to use the word 'Mitchelin', but i totally agree with you regarding the average quality of many of the buffet style places, which i am sure have there purpuse. I would like to aim at the sort of areas you mentioned. Thanks for the comments, very helpful. Jonathan
The majority of restaurants are not buffet, the dishes are cooked to order.
Unfortunately little imagination is apparent in the menus.
Chicken piri piri, grilled fish or meat probably makes up the majority of dishes sold.
If you take a walk around a resort like Albufeira you will be surprised at their mediocrity.

I am cooking one of Ricks dishes tomorrow a sea bream ( farmed ) cooked in the oven on a bed of sliced potatoes, with peppers, red onion and tomatoes.
A simple dish you might think for a restaurant but yet to find it in any of those that serve the mass market.
If you are over in Carvoeiro,Lagoa we have Bon Bon, ( Michelin 1 star) oleo da porches,Chrissies, Hexagon.
All offering and doing well serving outside of the Algarve box.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:25 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello lady's and Gents,

Jonathan Cloake
Please note that it is against forum rules to post a link in any post to your own web site or business, you can, however, put it in your signature line.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Hello again,

Great tips thank you kindly. I have noted these names and will certainly take a day to explore the area, it sounds very interesting. Good luck with the dish tomorrow, i am sure it will be tasty.. Especially his later reciepes have become better and better with all his travels, funny seeing as the seafood restaurant was orginally a night club and he was almost closed down until he started serving food. (After pinching all the fishermans wives reciepes hehe) Now he has an empire but he is a nice quiet man and good for the people of Padstow, whether they see it or not.. Thanks again i really appreciate the info.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Ok sure, pardon me i didnt realise and am very new to the group.. please drop me another message if i ever cross the line again
Old Jan 5th 2018, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Hello lady's and Gents,

Jonathan Cloake
Hi Farmhouse... welcome to the Forum.. You seem to have lead an interesting life thus far... Chefs usually have a network, so a bit surprised that you haven't plugged into the Portuguese one already.

Quite a few British chefs here..Plus many other nationalities
One outstanding place you should research/ try... Is Villa Joya at Gale beach (west of Albufeira ) with chef Dieter Koschina It has held a stunning reputation for many yrs.
Every year it Holds the most amazing week of gourmet cooking by famous michelin starred chefs from around the world ,a different chef every night ..It is held as a tribute to the original owner of Villa Joya
There are many more superb restaurants with amazing chefs leading them.. Enjoy the search and good luck.

Last edited by GeniB; Jan 5th 2018 at 8:18 am.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Hello,
thanks for your reply. Yes i dont know Portugal quite like i should to be honest.. It was a last minute change of plans for myself and my partner sadly due to a surprise death in the family without going into details we needed to be closer to France and the Uk.
Anyway Villa Joya, it looks nice,probabyly the best what i had seen online. I am very interested in the 'Gourmet' week. Ive worked on the same in Bangkok a couple of years ago with 12 Mitchelin chefs between 2 and 3 stars visiting. This interests me alot as in my small team of guest Chefs that will help with my future project,there are two Chefs holding 3 stars. I will try and get in on the gourmet week, its always fun trying to give the M.star chefs a run for there money and watching them swet As for plugging the market, its kind of what i am trying to slowly start to do now. Sadly none of my previous colleages or contacts have choosen Portugal yet.
Really apreciate your comments, all are a big help for the challenge ahead. Have a great day.
Jon