Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Is PT tap water drinkable?

Is PT tap water drinkable?

Old May 23rd 2016, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is PT tap water drinkable?

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Its been 3 days since we stopped drinking tap water and have not felt ill once. I am not too keen on testing the water again.
Viva vinho branco.
In Lisbon tap water is fine. We have a water filter jug too - and that really does do a very nice job of making tap waste taste just like bottled water. You can buy one from Worten, or even Lidl or Pingo Doce for about 20 Euros. You need to change the filter cartridge once every 4-6 weeks. In summer, we keep the jug in the fridge - so when we get home after a boiling hot journey on the metro, the cold filtered water from the jug tastes absolutely divine!

Here's one of our tips for summer - during the week (especially if working late) we don't always have time to cook a full meal at night. So we simply toss a rocket salad together, using cherry tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, maybe some chick peas and a good helping of olive oil. Wash it down with a glass of chilled filtered water - it brings you back to life - and you sleep like a baby, despite the stifling heat!
Old May 25th 2016, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by algarveandroid
Probably a water testing company near you , 100 euros for advanced testing. Then go ebay look for a guy called waterman , sells german made whole house filter systems including putting minerals back in , including the new tap for the sink purely for drinking.
Thats interesting.Is there one in Lagos? Never had a problem with drinking tap water here,altho sometimes get a chlorine whiff from time to time..What concerns me is the story that they use mercury to clean the storage tanks

They did do an intensive test of bottled water in the Netherlands once and came up with some alarming results. all sorts of bacteria in some very famous brands. Put me off..
Old May 25th 2016, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

They tested bottled water in South Africa as well and it was found that the tap water was more pure.
Moral of the story is.....drink vinho.
Old May 25th 2016, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

They tested bottled water in South Africa as well and it was found that the tap water was more pure.

I was afraid of that hic !! Me and wine aren't getting along right now,more's the pity
Old May 25th 2016, 3:16 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

... as if I needed an excuse! Sláinte!!
Old May 26th 2016, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

maramos is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up in PT drinking water from the well and I appear to have turned out fine
My wife might disagree
Old May 27th 2016, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by maramos
I grew up in PT drinking water from the well and I appear to have turned out fine
My wife might disagree

Ah but you are immune to the bugs I would probable get 'gippy tummy' if I went back to the UK now.. It's been 30 yrs since I last drank UK tap water..no immunity left
Old May 27th 2016, 11:21 am
Just Joined

maramos is an unknown quantity at this point

Honestly with the price of natural spring water being fairly cheap I would not bother with tap water. I live in Canada and don't drink tap water as I don't like the taste. Funny enough I buy Luso Portuguese water as it is cheaper than most other waters here in Canada.