Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

PT car tax and mot

PT car tax and mot

Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Hilly has a spectacular aura aboutHilly has a spectacular aura aboutHilly has a spectacular aura about
Default PT car tax and mot

Hi,

We have a portuguese registered car and are getting conflicting information regarding vehicle inspection and tax. We have been told that the government issues a notice once a year that gives you one month to tax and have the car inspected (normally March or April) however we have recently been told that this has changed to the aniversary of the cars first registration.

Could someone provide the definitive answer along with details of what docs are required eg does the car need a test certificate before it can be taxed, do insurance docs need to be provided etc etc etc?

Cheers,

Hilly
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:09 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PT car tax and mot

Hi Hilly
Yes it has changed,you now need to tax the car on the date it was first registered.We did ours in January.As far as the Mot is concerned,you should be notified when it is due,however,it tells you on the little windscreen sticker when it is due,its never been the case that you do the two together.Tax is obtained at the finances.
Simply go to the inspection centre for the MOT,some you have to make an appointment,others you can just turn up.
Im not entirely sure which docs are needed,as we always have everything in a folder and hand it in for everything!!! including GNR stops
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:16 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

With the change in tax regulations what do you have to display on the windscreen nowadays? We bought a new car in January and don't appear to have any little stickers anywhere in any of the documentation to display.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

The IPO inspection is normally done on the anniversary of matriculation as well. First inspection after 4 years, then after 2 years and then every year.
Not 100% sure but I don't think there are window stickers for tax anymore. Only a receipt which you should keep with you (car).
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Hilly has a spectacular aura aboutHilly has a spectacular aura aboutHilly has a spectacular aura about

Cleri, you are a gem,

Many Thanks for cleaing this up for me!

Thanks to you all.........

You have made an old man very happy!

Cheers,

Hilly
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: PT car tax and mot

Yes Mike is correct, they have stopped issuing window stickers but make sure you keep the original receipt in the car as the GNR are not happy chappies if you show them a photostat.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:11 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

What, no stickers at all?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:03 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

well i think i,ve got at least two or three on mine, tax, mot etc?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:15 am
C'est la vie

Okay, our car is new so no MOT, no tax sticker under the new system and, as far as I can see, no sticker came with the insurance policy documents. Is there anything else?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:17 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaviraTrog
Okay, our car is new so no MOT, no tax sticker under the new system and, as far as I can see, no sticker came with the insurance policy documents. Is there anything else?
blue peter badge?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:47 am
C'est la vie

Originally Posted by gazz
blue peter badge?
Never got one - I was in the Bash Street Gang.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: PT car tax and mot

I have just got a label off a Sagres bottle on my windscreen, that covers all I need.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Troggy old son,

Assuming you've got the actual policy document (as opposed to a cover note) which is usually green card; the window sticker is part of it, delineated by "little perforations" (remember that advert?). On my Victoria document it's bottom left.

My understanding is that, although the new road tax system does not include a sticker, you must still display one for MOT (if applicable) and insurance (always). They're not actually "sticky" so you get a little holder for them, rather lke a miniature version of the old UK tax disc windscreen holders. MOT holder comes from the IPO station, insurance from the insurance company (or any other one).

Graeme
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

TT you should have a sticker for insurance.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:04 pm
Á Boa Vida

cavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond repute

God you guys just reminded me AGAIN of part of the reason why I immigrated to the US......

Government burocrasy abounds in Portugal and nothing is organized because Portuguese are too busy being out to lunch….

I just spent 2 weeks trying to get Cable TV hooked up in my Algarve apartment and when I opened a bank account OMG….

After 3 months of package after DHL package sent to Portugal I asked the banker (who rarely answers the phone) how much longer before I can use the bank account to pay my mortgage?

She said to me on the phone calmly….. Mais ums semaninha o duas…….. (Another week or two should do it…)

I am Portuguese but if Portugal is going to ever move forward what Portugal needs is to become Spain
(Just kidding)…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.