Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Property Purchase Help

Property Purchase Help

Old Oct 12th 2017, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Property Purchase Help

Originally Posted by Cherrypop
Try not to have too many fixed ideas about distance from the coast. I wanted to be close to the coast but realised that this hugely increases the cost of property. I'm hoping to buy in Sao Bras which is much further inland than I'd planned to be - probably 20km from the coast but it actually takes no time to drive to some amazing beaches. The bonus is that property is much more affordable, I can escape the crowds in summer and I get to live in a wonderful traditional town but that has a strong expat community.

After many months of looking for the perfect, affordable house near the coast, I realised it didn't exist and now I've decided where I want to live, I couldn't be happier. Maybe open your mind to all possibilities and you could surprise yourself - I did.
You might be right. We even started yesterday to look at properties on the Silver coast and amazing what you get for 150k.
We will have a holiday house until January in Lagoa and when we cannot find a house that gives a good feeling, we plan to rent a holiday home on the Silver coast (region Lourinha and Alcobaca) to explore that region.
Maybe we don't like that region, but maybe it will suits us more.
At least this will give us the opportunity to make a better choice.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pilou
You might be right. We even started yesterday to look at properties on the Silver coast and amazing what you get for 150k.
We will have a holiday house until January in Lagoa and when we cannot find a house that gives a good feeling, we plan to rent a holiday home on the Silver coast (region Lourinha and Alcobaca) to explore that region.
Maybe we don't like that region, but maybe it will suits us more.
At least this will give us the opportunity to make a better choice.
It is such a big decision that it's very wise to take time to get it right. I knew wanted to be in the Algarve and also knew that the cost of property there limits my options so I've had to compromise. The nice thing is that now I've found the house I want to live in, it doesn't feel like I've compromised at all.

In my experience, once you've found the location that feels right, finding the right house becomes much easier. Good luck.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Cherrypop!
Happy to hear you found your house for you and your doggie.
We hope we find a house where we feel happy as well as our doggie.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

for us, distance to the coast was little to do with how long it takes to get to the beach; it's about the climate.
Within 5-10km, you almost always get a fresh cool sea breeze as the continent heats up [called a thermal breeze].
We almost never get temperatures above 26 degrees, even in mid summer. Winters are mild too.
Yes, we paid more. We have no swimming pool and the house is pretty modest. But the weather is fantastic!
A few minutes drive inland temperatures are 10 degrees higher in summer.
Just thought I should point that out.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liveaboard
for us, distance to the coast was little to do with how long it takes to get to the beach; it's about the climate.
Within 5-10km, you almost always get a fresh cool sea breeze as the continent heats up [called a thermal breeze].
We almost never get temperatures above 26 degrees, even in mid summer. Winters are mild too.
Yes, we paid more. We have no swimming pool and the house is pretty modest. But the weather is fantastic!
A few minutes drive inland temperatures are 10 degrees higher in summer.
Just thought I should point that out.
Do you live in the Algarve?