Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Property Purchase Help

Property Purchase Help

Old Oct 10th 2017, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Property Purchase Help

We start to doubt now ............
This rural house has a garden and for our dog it would be great. But ..... our dog is already very very old.

But a house in a town without a garden is also peace of mind for the months we are not in the Algarve.
Thanks to all your reactions, we finally start to doubt and think that we just take our time to view some houses as of November.

To be continued ......

Last edited by Pilou; Oct 10th 2017 at 10:05 am.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 10:43 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilou
We start to doubt now ............
This rural house has a garden and for our dog it would be great. But ..... our dog is already very very old.

But a house in a town without a garden is also peace of mind for the months we are not in the Algarve.
Thanks to all your reactions, we finally start to doubt and think that we just take our time to view some houses as of November.

To be continued ......
Google earth can only be a guide, it took 3 years for it to be updated in our area and to show more than just a building site where we are.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by EMR
Google earth can only be a guide, it took 3 years for it to be updated in our area and to show more than just a building site where we are.
On Google maps in that area it says "images 2017". Is this the case?????
Old Oct 10th 2017, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

My problem with the reservation fee of 2,500 EUR is that the owner can still sell. No guarantee for me.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 11:46 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

My problem with the reservation fee of 2,500 EUR is that the owner can still sell. No guarantee for me.
I know of an apartment in Lagos, fantastic views, rebuilt inner city building.
3 buyers expressed an interest , made offers, the owner made it clear that he would sell to whoever could complete first, which he did, a cash buyer.
An owner will always do what us in their best interest.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bad news from the real estate agent: there is no mains water, only mains electricity.
There is a well in the garden. The problem with a well is that there is water now but is there in 5 years or in 10 years?

The waterpump, the solar panel and all the electrical wires are stolen. All the electrical wires are gone! Even part of the kitchencupboards are stolen. All the taps in bathroom are stolen. Even the plastic plumbing underneath the sink.
Wooooow!
Old Oct 10th 2017, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Bad news from the real estate agent: there is no mains water, only mains electricity.
There is a well in the garden. The problem with a well is that there is water now but is there in 5 years or in 10 years?

The waterpump, the solar panel and all the electrical wires are stolen. All the electrical wires are gone! Even part of the kitchencupboards are stolen. All the taps in bathroom are stolen. Even the plastic plumbing underneath the sink.
Wooooow!
Yikes was that recently ? Or is this a long abandoned property? Plenty of people live with wells and don't expect them to dry up. If you think about it,where does the mains water come from.reservoirs. They can dry up too.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

When you find your dream house, can you pay a reservation fee of 5k or 10k to be 100% sure the house is yours? Can you do this without having a tax number yet?

Will you get the reservation fee back when you don't want it? That means that people can reserve a house during months and then say I don't want it. Or is there a limited time between the reservation fee and the deposit of 10-15%??

If you buy the property, the reservation fee is in fact (a part of) the deposit?

These questions because I also found my dream house!
The seller will usually allow you the standard amount of time to arrange matters like a mortgage or a 'search' if that is deemed necessary .Even for a builder to look at it Thats usually 15 days. If you haven't committed to a promissory note after that ,they will feel free to put it back on the market.Your agent should inform you as to whether your reservation fee is refundable. Your promissory note fee (minimum 10% of the value) .is not refundable

Last edited by GeniB; Oct 10th 2017 at 2:20 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeniB
Yikes was that recently ? Or is this a long abandoned property? Plenty of people live with wells and don't expect them to dry up. If you think about it,where does the mains water come from.reservoirs. They can dry up too.
The mains water comes from deep wells. A private person cannot afford such a well.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 2:24 pm
EMR
Banned

Wooooow!
You gets what you pay for.
If it seems to go to be true it usually is.
Where else in Portugal are you looking because the Algarve may be outside of your budget for what you are looking for.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

We think we will stick to town houses. I also don't want to be on a complex, abandoned in the winter, like we saw in Alporchinhos.

The Algarve is expensive, but we don't like the wind at the west coast. We want to be at max 10 km out of the coast.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Then walk away and don't pay any kind of FEE the agent wants it as part of his fee.

Peter
Old Oct 10th 2017, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute

Wooooow!
how could that happen? Is it in a secluded area?
Old Oct 10th 2017, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by qianh
how could that happen? Is it in a secluded area?
No there a 6 to 8 houses/ small farms around. The next 2 neighbors are at only 20 meters from the house.
The house did not have shutters or bars during the renovation.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

We think we will stick to town houses. I also don't want to be on a complex, abandoned in the winter, like we saw in Alporchinhos.

The Algarve is expensive, but we don't like the wind at the west coast. We want to be at max 10 km out of the coast.
Try not to have too many fixed ideas about distance from the coast. I wanted to be close to the coast but realised that this hugely increases the cost of property. I'm hoping to buy in Sao Bras which is much further inland than I'd planned to be - probably 20km from the coast but it actually takes no time to drive to some amazing beaches. The bonus is that property is much more affordable, I can escape the crowds in summer and I get to live in a wonderful traditional town but that has a strong expat community.

After many months of looking for the perfect, affordable house near the coast, I realised it didn't exist and now I've decided where I want to live, I couldn't be happier. Maybe open your mind to all possibilities and you could surprise yourself - I did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.