Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Proof of IUC paid

Proof of IUC paid

Old Jul 31st 2017, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Cracked-Concrete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of IUC paid

I've acquired a car from my ex-neighbour who moved away. He has paid the car tax for the year but I don't have a print out to prove that. Is there a way I can get this without bothering him as he is working at sea? Thxs.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of IUC paid

Originally Posted by Cracked-Concrete
I've acquired a car from my ex-neighbour who moved away. He has paid the car tax for the year but I don't have a print out to prove that. Is there a way I can get this without bothering him as he is working at sea? Thxs.
If the car is now properly registered in your name you may be able to find it on the "Portal das Financas" web . If you are registered on the website under the "Servicios Tributarios - Consultar" you scroll down to "Veiculos - Imposto Unico de Circulaçao. When you enter there it lists the past 10 years and should show if the tax has been paid
Old Aug 1st 2017, 7:01 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
If the car is now properly registered in your name you may be able to find it on the "Portal das Financas" web . If you are registered on the website under the "Servicios Tributarios - Consultar" you scroll down to "Veiculos - Imposto Unico de Circulaçao. When you enter there it lists the past 10 years and should show if the tax has been paid
I think this will only show a payment history for vehicles owned by the taxpayer at the time the tax on each vehicle was due, rather than a full payment history for a vehicle now owned by him.

Why do you think you need this?

You're only responsible for the tax if you own the vehicle at the time it's due. If there's any outstanding at the time of sale, it's the vendor's responsibility. You don't need to carry a document proving the tax was paid - the document checks by traffic police no longer include this. It's now entirely between the tax authorities and the vehicle owner at the due time.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Jessel is on a distinguished road

Go to a Finanças office, show the Matricula document and they will tell you there and then if there is any tax due.

Old Aug 4th 2017, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Thxs for the replies, and my apologies for the delayed response.I was told that printed proof of income paid has to carried in the car. I know it has been paid, but we have a current issue with being unable to access our affairs on the finances site, hence asking the current owner to do it. The car is being is being transported for its test, but will be driven back.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 6:46 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that printed proof of income paid has to carried in the car.
That is not correct - there was a change to the law some years ago.

The documents you need to carry are :

Drivers' licence
Id (for us expats only either passport or Cartão de Residência Permanente)
Cartão de Contribuinte (NIF card)
Insurance certificate
Vehicle registration certificate
Vehicle inspection certificate

And the only thing which has to be displayed on the windscreen is the insurance
Old Aug 5th 2017, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much R.E. Seems I was completely misinformed.
I'll keep your list in the car as a prompt.
(I also need to ditch the script predictor on this new tablet!)