Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

"Promiscuous, dirty and drunken"

"Promiscuous, dirty and drunken"

Old Sep 25th 2014, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: "Promiscuous, dirty and drunken"

Originally Posted by EMR
What have differing driving standards got to to with the anti social behaviour of Brits and others when abroad or at home.
Is it case of some just looking for something negative to write about the Portuguese.?
Ingles started on the subject, I'm sure what her point was drunk dangerous driving is also anti-social behavior so people in glasses houses....?!

Me, I was just stating some facts after someone said driving in worse in the UK.

Anyway, I'm just glad this whole thread is about the English and the Portuguese!
Old Sep 26th 2014, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Ingles started on the subject, I'm sure what her ? point was drunk dangerous driving is also anti-social behavior so people in glasses houses....?!
Me, I was just stating some facts after someone said driving in worse in the UK.

Anyway, I'm just glad this whole thread is about the English and the Portuguese!
Just last night I was in a Santa Casa Misericódia vehicle on my way to pick up a mobility challenged student from school to return him home.

Came to a T junction which is wider than most -2 cars waiting to turn Left - I needed to turn Right - indicator on - slam on brakes - why - some PT Prat on the main road did a left turn INSIDE the 2 cars wanting to turn left & nearly took me out head on !

I hooted & pointed to my head as if to say "stupid" & got a finger flip in reply.
Anti Social & just down right bloody dangerous , but did he care NO
Glass House's OK

Last edited by Ingles; Sep 26th 2014 at 3:11 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

How did you know he was Portuguese Ingles?
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ingles
the word "Bifes" is racist & an insult!

Mr Bife
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
How did you know he was Portuguese Ingles?
OH belive me he was !
Old Sep 26th 2014, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Not pushing your buttons here.Ingles..but was it the number plate? His colouring?..We have had 'run ins' in Germany when people thought we were Dutch from our NL number plate..On holiday in France it was a German in a French car that caused an accident near our holiday home.last year .Here in Portugal they always warn you about foreigners in Portuguese cars..especially Rumanians/Moravians....All I am saying is..its not always easy to tell..just by looking
Old Sep 29th 2014, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrBife

Mr Bife
To explain :- The word "Bifes" was used in the past mainly in the Algarve as a derogatory nick name for the english due to there tendency to order Steak & Chips in restaurants.

But back in 2004 during the European Football Championships here the PT system used it in a incredible crass & racist way.

The day before Portugal where due to play England RTP TV the Public TV Company kept flashing up on the screen the following.

"Como você gosta seu Bifes
bem ou mal passado"

"How do you want the English
well done or under done"

The locals thought this was hilarious !
Can you imagine this sort off "comment" being carried on English TV or even think they would consider it ?
Old Sep 29th 2014, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

No worse than the Aussie, Kiwi or Saffer rugby humour.

We call the French 'Frogs' and it's no worse than someone making a comment about catching them on the hop.

I don't have a problem with any of that at all.

People need to get rid of the chips on their shoulders and grow a sense of humour instead.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mfesharne
No worse than the Aussie, Kiwi or Saffer rugby humour.

We call the French 'Frogs' and it's no worse than someone making a comment about catching them on the hop.

I don't have a problem with any of that at all.

People need to get rid of the chips on their shoulders and grow a sense of humour instead.
OK I get your point
BUT would these comments be shown on TV

p.s. If I ever had a "chip on my shoulder" it was knocked off nearly three decades ago when I first got here
Old Sep 29th 2014, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

OK I get your point
BUT would these comments be shown on TV

p.s. If I ever had a "chip on my shoulder" it was knocked off nearly three decades ago when I first got here
Ja, they would...... or at least, they would be shown on Aussie, Kiwi and SA TV and what's more, everyone, including those who the humour was directed at, would laugh at it.

Hell, the humour and mickey taking between me any Afrikaaner friends is miles worse than that!

My comment about chips wasn't particularly directed at you....... if it had been, it would have said YOU need to get the chip off your shoulder and grow a sense of humour.......... What I meant was that anyone who gets offended by such leg pulling need to get the chips off their shoulders and grow a sense of humour......... but if you are one of those that is offended by such humour then it might apply to you..... at least in part.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Dal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the rough

The EBC constantly refers to other UK residents in derogatory terms, Robinson, Clarkson etc.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Ja, they would...... or at least, they would be shown on Aussie, Kiwi and SA TV and what's more, everyone, including those who the humour was directed at, would laugh at it.

Hell, the humour and mickey taking between me any Afrikaaner friends is miles worse than that!

My comment about chips wasn't particularly directed at you....... if it had been, it would have said YOU need to get the chip off your shoulder and grow a sense of humour.......... What I meant was that anyone who gets offended by such leg pulling need to get the chips off their shoulders and grow a sense of humour......... but if you are one of those that is offended by such humour then it might apply to you..... at least in part.
Silly me just realised ,you where a resident in a country where the indigenous population only gained there freedom from there "masters" a few years ago.
Perhaps that why you fail to find the word "Bifes" as racist
Old Sep 29th 2014, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silly me just realised ,you where a resident in a country where the indigenous population only gained there freedom from there "masters" a few years ago.
Perhaps that why you fail to find the word "Bifes" as racist
Then again, it could equally be that I have a sense of humour and am quick witted enough to get my own back with a comment of my own.

Quite honestly, I fail to understand why anyone would be offended by being called a bife in Portugal or a rosbife in France or a limey in the US.

It's no worse than us calling the French, Frogs or the Americans, Yanks etc.

If you want to be offended, you should be offended by what black Africans call us white folks....... the word varies depending on country but is usually Muzungo or M'lungu etc but it always has the same meaning which is white scum that floats on the sea.

Last edited by mfesharne; Sep 29th 2014 at 12:35 pm.