Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

"Promiscuous, dirty and drunken"

"Promiscuous, dirty and drunken"

Old Sep 19th 2014, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Promiscuous, dirty and drunken"

Below are the UK statistics
i drive a lot in portugal, mainly on half empty toll roads, but also the Algarve and Lisbon.I recently went back to England and had the pleasure of driving on several of the main motorways from Dover to Leeds, Central London, the M25 and the North circular.
i don't care what anyone here says the standard of driving, road rage, tailgating, mobile phone use is 10 times worse in the UK than anything i've ever seen in portugal.
The main difference is here the few idiots tend to kill themselves, in the UK they kill others.

uk figures
In reported road traffic accidents for the year ending June 2013:

1,730 people were killed, a 3% drop from 1,785 in the year ending June 2012.
23,530 people were killed or seriously injured, a 5% decrease compared with the year to June 2012.
185,540 people were injured in reported road accidents, 7% fewer than the 199,091 for the year ending June 2012.
total reported child casualties (ages 0-15) fell by 12% to 15,920 for the year ending June 2013 from 18,166 for the previous year, with those killed or seriously injured down 11% to 2,080.
motor vehicle traffic levels rose slightly by 0.4% compared with the 12 month period ending June 2012.
Between April and June 2013:

450 people were killed in reported road accidents, 12% more than in the same period for 2012.
serious and slightly injured casualties fell by 3 and 8% respectively. These figures resulted in an overall decrease in casualties of 7%.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

paradise - make a very long list of what you are hoping to achieve by moving here - then people can give you good advice.
Better still after you;ve done the above and narrowed the area down come and rent for a few months to get a good idea of what its really like

Take a look at the estate agent websites, olx.pt, custojusto.pt to see whay type of house is available in your price bracket

Best of luck

Last edited by carvoeiro; Sep 19th 2014 at 2:55 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
i drive a lot in portugal, mainly on half empty toll roads, but also the Algarve and Lisbon.I recently went back to England and had the pleasure of driving on several of the main motorways from Dover to Leeds, Central London, the M25 and the North circular.
i don't care what anyone here says the standard of driving, road rage, tailgating, mobile phone use is 10 times worse in the UK than anything i've ever seen in portugal.
The main difference is here the few idiots tend to kill themselves, in the UK they kill others.

uk figures

23,530 people were killed or seriously injured, a 5% decrease compared with the year to June 2012.
185,540 people were injured in reported road accidents, 7% fewer than the 199,091 for the year ending June 2012.
total reported child casualties (ages 0-15) fell by 12% to 15,920 for the year ending June 2013 from 18,166 for the previous year, with those killed or seriously injured down 11% to 2,080.
motor vehicle traffic levels rose slightly by 0.4% compared with the 12 month period ending June 2012.

450 people were killed in reported road accidents, 12% more than in the same period for 2012.
serious and slightly injured casualties fell by 3 and 8% respectively. These figures resulted in an overall decrease in casualties of 7%.
Portugal 10.650.00 +/- Residents
UK 65.000.00 +/- Residents
Old Sep 19th 2014, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to have taken this very much to heart Carvoeiro.!! can I say perhaps you

protesteth too much!!

Please read my post more carefully...I spoke of shirtless sweating men IN A SUPERMARKET. and Bikini clad women DITTO....Would you really appreciate such sights in M&S in the UK ?( OK ...the last probable,being a man)

Of course I have no objection to holidaymakers enjoying themselves ..in the appropriate place...and with the appropriate respect for others to allow them to do the same...I can only comment on my own experiences....

Quite agree Ingles...a slight difference in size
Old Sep 19th 2014, 4:27 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few restaurants we know in a large resort close to the beach where the No shirt , no shoes , no service policy is strictly applied.
This is supported by the vast majority of customers and those who find these conditions a problem there is plenty of much cheaper choice available to them.
Personally I want to smell the food not fellow diners.
It is a fact that the first to remove their shirts are the Brits, why ? who knows.
In spring the locals are still wearing coats and sweaters and the Brit holidaymaker is showing as much flesh as is legal .
Old Sep 21st 2014, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbara Red lips
I thought he was a bit of an idiot ..... liked his hat though!!

He needs a good slapping is what. He is a coward and did not publish his book in either English or in the UK. And I am willing to bet that he got his degree paid for by the UK tax payer, especially if he registered for it pre Tony Blair´s degree for all days followed by the introduction of student debt.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 12:18 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

So it is OK for anyone to come on to a forum and slag off their host country be it, Portugal , Spain etc.
But it is not OK for a foreigner in the UK to point out many of the issues that we all know exist and some Brits take abroad with them on holiday.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Mark RD..It wasn't country specific..it was about the Brits in general..altho for me I would still say it reflects more on the young on the streets of British towns and cities...the public face of Britain..but magnified on the streets of holiday areas around the world..in my case Portugal
Case in point...Last weekend new (large) group of British youngsters in expensive villa..(new trend? I hope not)..They screamed and partied from the minute they arrived in this quiet residential area...until 3am on sunday morning..Mon the same..yesterday was quieter as they didn't emerge from their excess's until 4pm...However their antic's seem to have encouraged a group in a villa right next to ours..we came back to eat lunch on or patio to find the loudest disco music playing close to our dining area and boundary wall..We couldn't hear ourselves speak...No way it was an accident/oversight...they were in the POOL..quite a distance away..We had to literally yell and bang a tin lid to get their attention...rude/ignorant/crass doesn't cover it...Absolutely no respect for others..As I said before I judge as I find...sadly seem to be proving my point over and over right now

No article isn't a wind up tootlewagon I have emailed the author...its genuine
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

p.s If anyone is any doubt....see the play on BBC 1 last night?....The Driver.....some good examples in that.....
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Mariboodebumbum is on a distinguished road

It's a question of respect- something that seems to have gone out if the window in the UK. Last year in Greece an English girl came into a beachside taverna topless, suffice to say the lady owner chased her out with a broom! It's not specifically to do with Portugal or just Brits, it's to do with some north Europeans who do not appreciated foreign culture or religion. When visiting they should observe the customs of the locals, not do as they
please because 'they have paid for it'.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

uk figures

I dont think these numbers are relevant to make a comparrison between the uk and portugal, the fact is road deaths per capita are twice as high in portugal as they are in the uk. I know a could of truck drivers who do a portugal to uk run and they all praise how considerate car divers are tosardes trucks compares you the complete ignorance and dangerous driving in portugal. Sorry, i disagree!
Old Sep 24th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GeniB
..it was about the Brits in general..

i read 'inglês'
Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interesting
When i read this it seems that the same Brits who have a total lack of respect for everyone and everything abroad suddenly become complete Angels when behind the wheel back in the UK.
I agree with the other posters -the original topic and the driving side topic are both the same issue - a total lack of regard and respect for others.
I base my UK / Portuguese driving comments on actually being there recently - the UK is shocking - by comparison portugal has just a few total morons.
I drove all of the way through Portugal /across Spain ,through most of France, including through Paris early in the morning, then crossed to England without a single issue -from20 miles outside of Dover onwards it was an endless string of lane hogging, mobile phone using , tail gating,speeding, swearing 2 finger waving lunatics
Anyone who wants to disagree is welcome to come and spend 8 hours on UK roads next time i go -A3/A20/M25/M40/M1/M6/North Circular i guarantee you won't be able to wait to return to the calm roads of Portugal

Last edited by carvoeiro; Sep 24th 2014 at 9:59 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Interesting
When i read this it seems that the same Brits who have a total lack of respect for everyone and everything abroad suddenly become complete Angels when behind the wheel back in the UK.

"..".."......""...."..............
Anyone who wants to disagree is welcome to come and spend 8 hours on UK roads next time i go -A3/A20/M25/M40/M1/M6/North Circular i guarantee you won't be able to wait to return to the calm roads of Portugal
You know that May not be as unbelievable as it sounds, I have said many times about the Portuguese, they are laid back and generally very friendly but as soon as they get behind the wheel they get aggressive, ignorant, dangerous and totally lack patience! Perhaps the opposite applies to Brits?!

Never drove in South of England for years, just Scotland. But the stats are indeed the facts not just my or your perception. The uk has the 3rd lowest death rate per capita in Europe.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:33 am
EMR
Banned

What have differing driving standards got to to with the anti social behaviour of Brits and others when abroad or at home.
Is it case of some just looking for something negative to write about the Portuguese.?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.