Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

"Promiscuous, dirty and drunken"

"Promiscuous, dirty and drunken"

Old Sep 16th 2014, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default "Promiscuous, dirty and drunken"

Hello - I'm usually on the Italy forum but I read this feature about a Portuguese writer's view of the English and wondered what you thought over there...

Top Portuguese academic decries 'filthy' English - Telegraph
Old Sep 16th 2014, 3:40 pm
Bleating on & on

Barbara Red lips has a spectacular aura aboutBarbara Red lips has a spectacular aura aboutBarbara Red lips has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: "Promiscuous, dirty and drunken"

I thought he was a bit of an idiot ..... liked his hat though!!

Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I unfortunately had to agree with him..being an ex-pat Brit living mostly full time in the Algarve..Lucky enough to afford a nice villa on a quiet residential estate...but unlucky enough to have had a (Portuguese..builder...sadly) put up illegal villas next to our homes..and rent them out in the summer months....Most of our neighbours totally dread the moment when we hear the first car load arrive..First the screaming starts!! (why do all British kids scream?) then the booze is unpacked and the adults join in...its appalling....NO OTHER NATIONALITY DOES THIS....Total and utter disregard for anyone else..The area is known as a quiet zone..Its not Albufeira..Its not a holiday resort...makes zero difference..
We also walk our dog in the nearby village every day..Its noticeable from day one of the holiday season, how much extra litter is thrown onto the streets..mostly beer bottle and cans..we end up taking plastic bags to pick them up..We also have the joy of meeting men minus shirts sweating in the supermarkets carrying cans of beer whilst they shop(for more?) and even girls in bikini's...again zero respect...and this is not a mainstream holiday area..I would hate to think how bad it is in those larger resorts along the coast

I have to applaud the guy for being brave enough to say what so many who receive a certain strata of British Tourist in their countries every summer...would love to have said..
We of course can say goodbye to them at the end of the season.He is seeing them on the streets every day in London..The only good thing in the report was the fact that the younger generation of British youth seem to be doing an about face on this horrendous§ behaviour of their peers..by not drinking,or taking drugs..lets hope this represents the future
Old Sep 16th 2014, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Mariboodebumbum is on a distinguished road

Oh how I loathe men walking around without shirts on, drunk cackling women, hen and stag groups, girls barely wearing anything on heels they can't walk on- I am embarrassed by some Brits abroad. I was in Cascais at the weekend for the light festival, the town was packed with all age groups, I didn't see any drunkenness or bad behaviour (in fact I don't recall seeing a policeman), I don't think it could happen in the UK- why?
Old Sep 17th 2014, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
I unfortunately had to agree with him..being an ex-pat Brit living mostly full time in the Algarve..Lucky enough to afford a nice villa on a quiet residential estate...but unlucky enough to have had a (Portuguese..builder...sadly) put up illegal villas next to our homes..and rent them out in the summer months....Most of our neighbours totally dread the moment when we hear the first car load arrive..First the screaming starts!! (why do all British kids scream?) then the booze is unpacked and the adults join in...its appalling....NO OTHER NATIONALITY DOES THIS....Total and utter disregard for anyone else..The area is known as a quiet zone..Its not Albufeira..Its not a holiday resort...makes zero difference..
We also walk our dog in the nearby village every day..Its noticeable from day one of the holiday season, how much extra litter is thrown onto the streets..mostly beer bottle and cans..we end up taking plastic bags to pick them up..We also have the joy of meeting men minus shirts sweating in the supermarkets carrying cans of beer whilst they shop(for more?) and even girls in bikini's...again zero respect...and this is not a mainstream holiday area..I would hate to think how bad it is in those larger resorts along the coast

I have to applaud the guy for being brave enough to say what so many who receive a certain strata of British Tourist in their countries every summer...would love to have said..
We of course can say goodbye to them at the end of the season.He is seeing them on the streets every day in London..The only good thing in the report was the fact that the younger generation of British youth seem to be doing an about face on this horrendous§ behaviour of their peers..by not drinking,or taking drugs..lets hope this represents the future
This really makes me glad to be living in the central zone where we don't see any of that nonsense....... We get a small number of (mostly) French, German & Swiss tourists but they're always in control of themselves and well behaved....... About the only problem they ever cause is parking badly.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:28 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

We read the original article in the Sunday Times when having our morning coffee in Carvoeiro.
Fortunately we rarely see the type of behaviour those of us who spend most of our time in the UK can experience on a daily basis.
It is not just those from the UK who have a drink culture as anyone who has been in areas popular with young Swedes/Danes will know.
Many go out of their way to blame the tourist but chose to ignore those who make fortunes from pandering to their needs.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

The story is about English, I don't know why the rest of you keep saying British?

Last edited by gedscottish; Sep 17th 2014 at 9:57 am.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gedscottish
The story is about English, I don't why the rest of you keep saying British?
Ha ha! get the Scotsman! ..maybe it's like in Italy where Brits are almost invariably referred to as inglesi ..

Good to read all your views.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

Shame so few British expats know enough Portuguese to actually read the book. There's an irony there somewhere.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I should write a book on the quality off driving here
"Drunk - Driving & Bloody Dangerous"

I wonder if the PT Press would report on it - some how I very much doubt they would.

Oh & by the way the word "Bifes" is racist & an insult!
Old Sep 18th 2014, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point

This article is an obvious windup - a bit like Jeremy Clarkson's comments re Mexicans!!

Having said that - the reason we moved to the Eastern Algarve, was to stay well clear of the British Ghettos in the Central Algarve, so maybe he does have a point....
Old Sep 18th 2014, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

paradise15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, some interesting points about areas of Portugal. We are looking to move to Portugal very soon, any ideas for the best place for peace and quiet and life in a house with some land?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

What rot -
I've spent holidays in the Algarve on and off for over 30 years
I've owned houses and lived in the algarve.
Its a lovely place, most of the tourists are families from every Nation
Uf course there are always a few idiots and Albufeira is a party town in the summer, so easy to avoid.
A few beers, sweaty armpits in 40 degrees and shock horror people wearing summer clothes in the heat is normal.
The only people shocked by this seem to be the living dead expat zombies who add this to the endless list of things they moan about.
The algarve is for great family holidays - i wish all of the white nobbly knee'd , bikini wearing masses the very best of holidays there.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

I though the book was about the "English" in their home habitat (where the author spent some time) not about tourists in Portugal.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
Perhaps I should write a book on the quality off driving here
"Drunk - Driving & Bloody Dangerous"

I wonder if the PT Press would report on it - some how I very much doubt they would.

Oh & by the way the word "Bifes" is racist & an insult!
Have look at these figures - is this also not "anti-social"

More accidents during this year’s ‘Safe Summer’ campaign - The Portugal News

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.