Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Power of Attorney for Promissory - why?

Power of Attorney for Promissory - why?

Old Jan 22nd 2018, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

LindaT is a jewel in the roughLindaT is a jewel in the roughLindaT is a jewel in the roughLindaT is a jewel in the roughLindaT is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Power of Attorney for Promissory - why?

Hello everyone,

Normal or a red flag - finally nearing promissory for an apartment we really like in Lagos (our lawyer/advogado has helped us through residency and getting a rental apartment).

Now we are asked to schedule an appointment to give power of attorney for my husband for buying and to go through promissory with sellers changes? Why do they need a POA when we live here? . Just scratching our heads as this came out of the blue today and they want an appointment with us to get a buying POA and to go through promissory.

Previously they sent changes, we responded etc (that deal never got to conclusion as buyer took a higher offer).

Anyone been asked this maybe you can shed some light.....thanks so much.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Power of Attorney for Promissory - why?

PoA for you both, or just him? Are you buying together? Is he likely to be unavailable at the crucial time?
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I think they like to have the POA just to make their jobs easier, and do it as a habit.

I wouldn't sign it again; we had our lawyer complete the sale on our house as we were finishing things up preparing to move. Everything went perfectly; but the stress I felt over it was ridiculous. I could have easily flown over for the day to do it myself.

You live here, you're available to appear and sign on your own behalf. Your lawyer doesn't need power of attorney.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 7:37 am
Just Joined

LindaT is a jewel in the roughLindaT is a jewel in the roughLindaT is a jewel in the roughLindaT is a jewel in the roughLindaT is a jewel in the rough

Thanks - my husband is buying (not us both) we think this is easiest and best. We live here and are just two blocks away from new apartment. This is why we don't know why our lawyer suddenly wanted POA for him and us to go in and sign for one. Something is up, could just be making job easier as they don't have to translate the Promissory contract (but it is limited and get paid for that in any event). All other docs from house rules etc we google and translate ourselves. We will see if the selling agent can shed any light - owners lawyer we believe sent changes they wanted but again, unusually, our lawyer just said 'we received changes from sellers lawyer' come and sign POA and we can go through... - we just want things smoothe and no issues or problem or our lawyer getting huffy with us - so important this stage for us and we are nervous.......aargghh......
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to tell you not to be nervous; but better to just keep checking.
The main point here is the competence and honesty of your lawyer; I don't know any lawyers in Lagos, but it's likely someone here does if you post the name[s].

Consider joining AFPOP, they have a lot of experience in these matters. Go right to the office in Portimao, sign up, pay the fee, and ask whether there have been any complaints regarding your legal people. Ask if they can review everything for you, or recommend someone who can for a moderate fee.

Probably it's all ok, but it's better to check three times. The cost is negligible and the stress is far lower.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, always sound advice from this forum or honest thoughts - all okay, went to our lawyer, only a basic POA for utilities and to register final deed - no pressure and they understood our concerns. My hubs can sign still and be there........guess settling in and committing makes one more nervous and with language barriers. Thanks again, appreciate the input and finally we settle in Lagos (well soon as signatures dry) :-))
Often asking here helps get head around a conundrum - again, appreciated. Take care!