Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Posts moved from Saloon thread. See closing post . Thanks

Posts moved from Saloon thread. See closing post . Thanks

Old May 21st 2017, 11:18 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Portugal Saloon

We are not at liberty to discuss reported posts or who they come from. The comment "someone involves them" can mean that a report has been made but it can also be taken to mean that if a poster is out of line with their type of response then they have involved the moderation system themselves. Either way it shows that members do not always show sufficient respect for others points of view or knowledge. Accepting that we are all different and have a variety of experience/knowledge is the first step towards gaining a calm and responsive forum. Being testy, arrogant, obnoxious and aggressive with each other only causes difficulties, spoils a good discussion and generally brings the forum down to an unacceptable level.

Rosemary
Old May 21st 2017, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
if you have a personal question for the mods - who have already stated they won't make public comments - perhaps you should remove your question directed at them and send it privately - so it doesn't smack of the 5yo running to the teacher - etc

I raised the topic and I asked a question of the Mods, they can choose to answer it in a way they feel fit. Whether the complaints were from the individual who doesn't like the reply, or from others who didn't like the whole arguement.

It's not hard to see that people post a question and rarely post or join in elsewhere on other posts. I'm curious whether the constant personal insults and arguements were driving peeps away.

I'm keen to see the forum membership size grow, for new knowledge to flood in, not just be a play ground full of angry people.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 21st 2017 at 12:46 pm.
Old May 21st 2017, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

As far as complaints are concerned, the forum rules are clearly stated & if any individual breaks those rules on a regular basis, it strikes me that it's time to wield the banning baton & crack a few heads.

It'd make the mod's job easier & ensure the forum does as it's designed to do which is help fellow expats rather than sow dissent.
Old May 21st 2017, 2:05 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
As far as complaints are concerned, the forum rules are clearly stated & if any individual breaks those rules on a regular basis, it strikes me that it's time to wield the banning baton & crack a few heads.

It'd make the mod's job easier & ensure the forum does as it's designed to do which is help fellow expats rather than sow dissent.
I'd rather not see anyone banned - but I'm getting mighty chockered with the regular spats - and I'm sure others have just given up or been put off posting. Shame.
Old May 21st 2017, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
I'd rather not see anyone banned - but I'm getting mighty chockered with the regular spats - and I'm sure others have just given up or been put off posting. Shame.
If you look at the 'regular spats' you'll see it's pretty much always the same few people that cause & deliberately continue them & then if you look at their other posts, it quickly becomes apparent that their only real contribution to the forum is that of deliberately stirring the kak at every opportunity......... and then if you look at the definition of 'internet troll' that I posted earlier, it's obvious that's exactly what they are.

Whilst I have no desire to see anyone who makes a real contribution to the forum banned, I have no problem with the temporary or permanent banning of the real trolls........ < all snipped out > & which clearly break the forum rules that are stated on the site.

Last edited by BEVS; May 21st 2017 at 11:08 pm. Reason: That's not cricket . See rule 8.
Old May 21st 2017, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the 'regular spats' you'll see it's pretty much always the same few people that cause & deliberately continue them & then if you look at their other posts, it quickly becomes apparent that their only real contribution to the forum is that of deliberately stirring the kak at every opportunity......... and then if you look at the definition of 'internet troll' that I posted earlier, it's obvious that's exactly what they are.

Whilst I have no desire to see anyone who makes a real contribution to the forum banned, I have no problem with the temporary or permanent banning of the real trolls........ < all snipped out > & which clearly break the forum rules that are stated on the site.

How many times now have you made this suggestion ?

Last edited by BEVS; May 21st 2017 at 11:09 pm. Reason: Quote of post snipped per rule 8
Old May 21st 2017, 2:30 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I have no desire to see anyone who makes a real contribution to the forum banned, I have no problem with the temporary or permanent banning of the real trolls........< snipped >& which clearly break the forum rules that are stated on the site.
Disagreeing with you is no sufficient reason to ban anyone .
I agree with the previous voter and if you do not like the reaction to your posts then no one forces you to join the forum.

Last edited by BEVS; May 21st 2017 at 11:09 pm. Reason: as above.
Old May 21st 2017, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

There's a big difference between polite, reasoned debate & this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Last edited by mfesharne; May 21st 2017 at 2:44 pm.
Old May 21st 2017, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

There's also a difference between censorship and stopping arguements
Old May 21st 2017, 11:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default re: Posts moved from Saloon thread. See closing post . Thanks

Originally Posted by macliam
I totally agree. Me too.

In recent weeks it has been necessary to ask that posters cut each other a little slack. Understand that we do not walk in each others shoes.
To place the posters one cannot abide on ignore. To step away from the keyboard. To not post deliberate oblique sideswipe at or about those one disagrees with or bluntly call each other uncomplimentary names. To treat each other with respect. To not bring personal grievances onto the chat forum. To attack the argument not the person.
All common sense .

BE seeks to moderate with a light hand. Moderators will always use dialogue first . Sanctions as an absolute very last resort.

In the past couple of weeks a huge amount of moderator effort plus my own time has gone into trying to give ALL of the Portugal forum back its usual balance.

I'd like to see that moving forward.

This thread closed.