Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Posts moved from Saloon thread. See closing post . Thanks

Posts moved from Saloon thread. See closing post . Thanks

Old May 20th 2017, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Posts moved from Saloon thread. See closing post . Thanks

I wonder what the statistic is for threads closed by Mods in the PT zone vs other zones?

Last edited by Rosemary; May 20th 2017 at 4:56 pm.
Old May 21st 2017, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Portugal Saloon

I previously posted a question on how often Mods have needed to close a thread or interject on the portugal Threads lately. Whether it's more Or less than on other countries. I did this so we all could see whether the "battles" that occur recently is [/COLOR] normal[COLOR="Orange"] or whether we should reflect on the recent behaviour.

This was not to start a debate about Mods, and their actions, but to look at out own actions.

I'd like to think that the Mods would be able to also interject to help us moderate our tones and reduce their workload moving forward. What are people's views on the recent level of debate?

Last edited by Rosemary; May 21st 2017 at 6:45 am. Reason: changed colour
Old May 21st 2017, 6:49 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK

I previously posted a question on how often Mods have needed to close a thread or interject on the portugal Threads lately. Whether it's more Or less than on other countries. I did this so we all could see whether the "battles" that occur recently is normal or whether we should reflect on the recent behaviour.

This was not to start a debate about Mods, and their actions, but to look at out own actions.

I'd like to think that the Mods would be able to also interject to help us moderate our tones and reduce their workload moving forward. What are people's views on the recent level of debate?[/COLOR]
(Not sure the font colour choice helps)
I have never seen as much moderator activity on this forum as there has been just lately - and I don't think it is because they have nothing else to do.
I have been a contributor to several long and heated debates in the past that required little or no moderator involvement and I had never seen a thread closed until recently, but lately some posters appear to have taken comments personally - or have actually made personal attacks - which has made any normal forum debate virtually impossible.

In the nicest way possible, I'd like to see less of the mods - but that depends on the level of comments made.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 21st 2017 at 6:53 am. Reason: corrected colour in quote
Old May 21st 2017, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I think all the trouble is caused by a very small number of people who deliberately & repeatedly post inflammatory statements & am surprised the Mods haven't spotted that or if they have, haven't taken action to prevent it. (No criticism of the mods intended. I appreciate they have other things in their life as well)

Ideally, there would be no mod intervention because it's not needed but the fact that there's so much of it (IMO) proves my point.

Surely the reason for this forum should be for expats to help each other not to hurl infantile insults at one another.

Last edited by BEVS; May 21st 2017 at 10:57 pm. Reason: little snip
Old May 21st 2017, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by macliam
(Not sure the font colour choice helps)
I have never seen as much moderator activity on this forum as there has been just lately - and I don't think it is because they have nothing else to do.
I have been a contributor to several long and heated debates in the past that required little or no moderator involvement and I had never seen a thread closed until recently, but lately some posters appear to have taken comments personally - or have actually made personal attacks - which has made any normal forum debate virtually impossible.

In the nicest way possible, I'd like to see less of the mods - but that depends on the level of comments made.
Colour was used to demonstrate a change in the thread (as this thread is designed to wander around and not be held to a set theme)
Old May 21st 2017, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

It is a shame when posters don't accept someone else's point of view and feel they have to resort to mud slinging,and personal attacks . I have instigated controversial threads before,knowing that others were unlikely to agree with me,but might be open to discussing why. I was shocked at the vehemence and frankly low tactics of some posters . It got so bad that I thought it best to simple withdraw from posting. It is a shame when a subject cannot be discussed with politeness towards another's point of view. For me it's an unfortunate side to BE
Old May 21st 2017, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
It is a shame when posters don't accept someone else's point of view and feel they have to resort to mud slinging,and personal attacks . I have instigated controversial threads before,knowing that others were unlikely to agree with me,but might be open to discussing why. I was shocked at the vehemence and frankly low tactics of some posters . It got so bad that I thought it best to simple withdraw from posting. It is a shame when a subject cannot be discussed with politeness towards another's point of view. For me it's an unfortunate side to BE
I absolutely agree but believe it's more about trolling than it is with genuine disagreement in some/many cases.
Old May 21st 2017, 9:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I think all the trouble is caused by a very small number of people who deliberately & repeatedly post inflammatory statements & am surprised the Mods haven't spotted that or if they have, haven't taken action to prevent it. (No criticism of the mods intended. I appreciate they have other things in their life as well)
With respect, you've got no idea what action we may have taken. What goes on behind the scenes isn't something we share or normally publicise on the forum.

Ideally, we'd like no mod intervention either, but for some reason I seem to have an inbox full of complaints and reported posts from the Portugal forum at the moment, and I along with the other mods, are utterly fed up with having to spend so much if our time reading infantile postings and insults.

Who knew that such a small country forum would cause the most trouble on BE eh?!
Old May 21st 2017, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

theres a simple reason the moderators get involved - someone involves them
A few people here have recently been playing games -
People have learnt from Trump and Brexit that being first is the most important thing - everything that came before is invisible and everything that comes after is 'false news'
Cheap psychology for cheap psychologists
So it doesn't matter what you have posted - you simply report what you don't like
like a 5yo in the playground - tell the teacher - endlessly - Trump - Brexit style
Simply type any abusive - mindless comment you like - then report the reply -
the beauty of human nature
Forunately the mods have now realised this and try to visit the entire thread not just the single comment reported to them - hence the recent large number of one-liners and irrelevent comments deleted - but they are volunteers and really can't be expected to give up all of their free time

Last edited by carvoeiro; May 21st 2017 at 9:29 am.
Old May 21st 2017, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa;12257068[B
]With respect, you've got no idea what action we may have taken. What goes on behind the scenes isn't something we share or normally publicise on the forum.[/B]

Ideally, we'd like no mod intervention either, but for some reason I seem to have an inbox full of complaints and reported posts from the Portugal forum at the moment, and I along with the other mods, are utterly fed up with having to spend so much if our time reading infantile postings and insults.

Who knew that such a small country forum would cause the most trouble on BE eh?!
You're quite right...... I don't know what action has been taken so perhaps I should have said 'sufficient action' rather than just action & my apologies for that.

When I say sufficient action, the fact that the same people do exactly the same thing time after time suggests to me that the action taken is indeed insufficient.

All that said, (IMO) being a forum moderator has to be one of the most thankless tasks out there so we should also be grateful to those who take the time & hassle to do the job.........
Old May 21st 2017, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
With respect, you've got no idea what action we may have taken. What goes on behind the scenes isn't something we share or normally publicise on the forum.

I'm sure if it was the Canadian forum everyone would be apologising all the time
Old May 21st 2017, 10:39 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
All that said, (IMO) being a forum moderator has to be one of the most thankless tasks out there so we should also be grateful to those who take the time & hassle to do the job.........
Hear, hear!

Thanks, mods
Old May 21st 2017, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
People have learnt from Trump and Brexit that being first is the most important thing - everything that came before is invisible and everything that comes after is 'false news'
So it doesn't matter what you have posted - you simply report what you don't like
like a 5yo in the playground - tell the teacher - endlessly - Trump - Brexit style
Forunately the mods have now realised this and try to visit the entire thread not just the single comment reported to them - hence the recent large number of one-liners and irrelevent comments deleted - but they are volunteers and really can't be expected to give up all of their free time
Old May 21st 2017, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
Mods, can you answer whether the complaints come from mainly the person who doesn't like the answer, or from peeps who don't like the whole conversation. What's the rough division?

My view is as soon as people start using personal insults like "moron" then their whole arguement is lost. The other frustrating method is when people claim to be speaking for the majority rather just themselves. Firstly because they don't feel their own view is enough, and secondly because they seem to be implying others aren't able to speak from themselves and need a self appointed spokesman.
Old May 21st 2017, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

if you have a personal question for the mods - who have already stated they won't make public comments - perhaps you should remove your question directed at them and send it privately - so it doesn't smack of the 5yo running to the teacher - etc

also by constantly referring back to a comment made over 2 months ago - you did indeed make moronic Brexit statements and indeed were called a moron - you constantly and in my view quite deliberately seek to provoke and cause trouble

Last edited by carvoeiro; May 21st 2017 at 11:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.