PORTUGUESE WILLS

Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool PORTUGUESE WILLS

Just a quick update on wills, we just got them yesterday, first quote from financial advisor was 1100 euros, second quote from lawyer was 950 euros, made an appointment at the local Notary in Tavira, 388.22 euros for the both of us, needed passport, fiscal card, 2 witnesses who can speak Portuguese and a written copy of will, hope this saves you some money.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 12:49 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PORTUGUESE WILLS

Thanks chopper
Thats a great help,there a few people asking for info on this
Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:24 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: PORTUGUESE WILLS

Thanks for the info Chopper. We'll need to make out Portuguese wills when we move over there full time.
Silly question time: is there only one notary in Tavira? Like I said, silly question, but I know zilch about the local legal system.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: PORTUGUESE WILLS

If you know Tavira head for the courthouse which is the big building across from the PT shop, and the notary is up the first road on the right.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 6:06 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: PORTUGUESE WILLS

Thanks, Chopper.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

spinny is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: PORTUGUESE WILLS

Originally Posted by CHOPPER
Just a quick update on wills, we just got them yesterday, first quote from financial advisor was 1100 euros, second quote from lawyer was 950 euros, made an appointment at the local Notary in Tavira, 388.22 euros for the both of us, needed passport, fiscal card, 2 witnesses who can speak Portuguese and a written copy of will, hope this saves you some money.
Hi
Very interested in your info on making a will the hand written Will you take with you is that then typed into an official document also does it take very long in the Notary office
Old Jul 14th 2007, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Go in and make an appointment and take the hand writen will with you, it depends on how busy he is, we had to wait 8 days. On the day of the appointment it only took 20 mins.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: PORTUGUESE WILLS

Go in and make an appointment and take the hand writen will with you, it depends on how busy he is, we had to wait 8 days. On the day of the appointment it only took 20 mins.
Thanks for that will do
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Chopper, very interesting as we need to get our wills sorted as soon as possible.

One question, our lawyer has said that the Portuguese wills can only allow you to bequeath your assets to children, not grandchildren. Do you have any information on this, or was it not an issue for yourself?

Cheers,

BB
Old Jul 16th 2007, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry no info on that.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: PORTUGUESE WILLS

Does anyone know what happens if you do not have a Portuguese Will ?
My friends husband keeps telling her that his English Will is all they need
she is getting worried can someone tell me the answer:

I went to my Lawyer today he will charge 250 euros for a mirror will plus the Notary 388 euros = 638 euros plus approx 50 for a translater (if you need one)
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

BozQuick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spinny

Does anyone know what happens if you do not have a Portuguese Will ?
My friends husband keeps telling her that his English Will is all they need
she is getting worried can someone tell me the answer:

I went to my Lawyer today he will charge 250 euros for a mirror will plus the Notary 388 euros = 638 euros plus approx 50 for a translater (if you need one)
Spinney,

Our lawyer has said that a British will is acceptable in Portugal as long as it's translated into Portuguese. It can however, take a long time for it to be executed compared to a Portuguese will.

The other question seems to be whether a British will naming grandchildren as beneficiaries might be a problem.
BQ
Old Jul 17th 2007, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BozQuick
Spinney,

Our lawyer has said that a British will is acceptable in Portugal as long as it's translated into Portuguese. It can however, take a long time for it to be executed compared to a Portuguese will.

The other question seems to be whether a British will naming grandchildren as beneficiaries might be a problem.
BQ
My lawyer told me today that if my husband died and he does not state in his Will that he wants me to be sole beneficiary of his half of the (jointly owned) property it will be divided between myself and our two children so it will be divided three ways 1/3 each (depends how many children you have) Portuguese Law
But if he does state this then his half would come to me but the children can still contest the will for their 1/3 part entitlement
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by spinny
My lawyer told me today that if my husband died and he does not state in his Will that he wants me to be sole beneficiary of his half of the (jointly owned) property it will be divided between myself and our two children so it will be divided three ways 1/3 each (depends how many children you have) Portuguese Law
But if he does state this then his half would come to me but the children can still contest the will for their 1/3 part entitlement
Spinney, your lawyer has raised interesting points related to the division of your assets should your husband dies first. Does the same apply the other way round? Also, if a British will has a tenants in common clause, to forestall our government's Inheritance Tax limit of £300,000, and this is used in Portugal when translated and authorised by a Notary, how would this be treated in Portuguese law?

The question of wills and the varied answers seems bewildering.

From what Chopper has said, it seems a visit to the Notary is the cheapest solution, but the question of grandchildren would still seem to be unclear. Also, if the Portuguese will is based on a British one will the Portuguese authorities honour the British will as written?

It all seems a bit of a tangle.

bb
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: PORTUGUESE WILLS

Originally Posted by bejaboz
Spinney, your lawyer has raised interesting points related to the division of your assets should your husband dies first. Does the same apply the other way round? Also, if a British will has a tenants in common clause, to forestall our government's Inheritance Tax limit of £300,000, and this is used in Portugal when translated and authorised by a Notary, how would this be treated in Portuguese law?

The question of wills and the varied answers seems bewildering.

From what Chopper has said, it seems a visit to the Notary is the cheapest solution, but the question of grandchildren would still seem to be unclear. Also, if the Portuguese will is based on a British one will the Portuguese authorities honour the British will as written?

t all seems a bit of a tangle.

bb

Yes it applies both ways I have decided to go to through my Lawyer it´s worth the extra 250 euros for peace of mind to many if´s and but´s on this subject you have got to get it right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.