Reload this Page >

Portuguese taxation.

Portuguese taxation.

Old Jul 7th 2017, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thurian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Portuguese taxation.

Hi all,
It's been nearly 5 years since I've posted here but could do with some advice!
I've changed to a Portuguese accountant for for my rental income and they insist that I'm liable for 25% tax on my GROSS rental income from my apartment with no allowable deductions for utilities, repairs, maintainance, cleaning etc.
this seems absolutely ludicrous to me and turns a small profit into a large loss.
Gut tells me this CANNOT be right.
Can anybody enlighten me???
Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portuguese taxation.

Hi Thurian, This seems to contradict what your accountant says: http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/E...axes-and-Costs

Hope it's correct!
Old Jul 7th 2017, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

The link above isn't correct as it's years out-of-date.

Is this 'long-term' rental income declared on Anexo F or 'short-term' holiday rentals (Alojamento Local) declared under the simplified regime category B on Anexo B? Have you registered a business activity in Portugal with the Finanças?
Old Jul 7th 2017, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that!
I definitely felt something wasn't right.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 11:55 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that your PT property is in Cabanas. You might like to try JST in Cacela to do your accounts. They are very good and reasonably priced.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Portuguese taxation.

Cheers.
I think I'll need to change alright!
Current accountant seems a bit clueless.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't answer my questions in post #3. Your situation could have a huge bearing on the rate of tax you have to pay.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry Richard, I didn't see your post.
It's all short term rental.
I am registered with Revenue but don't know as what!
My accountant speaks no English and I speak no Portuguese.
I don't live in Portugal so everything goes through a third party.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I suspect you would know if you had applied for an AL licence and registered a business activity at the Finanças (which is a necessary step, which I think you would have done in person). Do you invoice your guests directly or is it all done by a management company? Do you get a fixed rental for the season?

If you are properly set up as an AL business activity you would pay tax on 35% of your turnover but I suspect you're possibly not and are therefore unable to take advantage of the more favourable tax rates, as it's not you but your management company who is running the business activity. The expenses you incur with short term rentals (cleaning, utilities etc) cannot be claimed as they don't really exist as such for long term property income, which is the tax regime you may be in.

Alternatively, you may have misunderstood your accountant's communications or someone may have failed to tick a vital box on your Portuguese tax return - omission results in tax at 25% of turnover rather than 25% of 35% of turnover. Can you get a copy of your tax return and/or the tax computation from the Portal das Finanças to check?
Old Jul 9th 2017, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Richard.
I don't use a management company.
25% on turnover is effing outrageous if that's what I'm meant to be paying.
Completely pointless having the touristic licence (which I've had in place since its introduction) and being legitimately registered to operate.
I'll be selling up if that's the case.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Thurian
Thanks Richard.
I don't use a management company.
25% on turnover is effing outrageous if that's what I'm meant to be paying.
Completely pointless having the touristic licence (which I've had in place since its introduction) and being legitimately registered to operate.
I'll be selling up if that's the case.
Did you update your AL licence in 2014/5 and register the commencement of your business activity when the rules changed?
Old Jul 9th 2017, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

I wasn't even aware the rules HAD changed.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Since so many organisations see the provision of services to ensure compliance with the current Alojamento Local rules as an opportunity to charge a hefty fee, it can be difficult to find one single source of reliable and current information that is free, in English and online.

You will need to do some searching and reading.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

If I'm allowed, following link may be useful. If not allowed I'm sure Rosemary will delete it. Just a bit of info.

questions
Old Jul 9th 2017, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Sorry, link

Local Lodging Questions and Answers – All finance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.